Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Daniel Koller[_2_] Daniel Koller[_2_] is offline

Default Range of ER32 collets?

Hi Folks,

If I were to buy one of these sets of Chinese made ER32 collets on e-bay
(https://www.ebay.com/itm/19pcs-ER32-...100005.m185 1)

....what is the range of each collet? With increments of 1/16" can I hold any size rod?

If I have 3/16" and 1/4" for example, do I need 7/32"?

I see that the 20 piece set that I linked, has incrememts of 1mm. 1/16" is 1.6mm so it seems to me I would have gaps if I only got 1/16" increments.

Right now I am using a MT3 collet set, but I am finding it pretty limited.. It holds nominal stock sizes just fine, but if I take a few mils off to clean up the OD before chucking it, the rod slips.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

p.s. Intended use is on a 1952 Logan 10" (Wards) lathe. MT3 taper in the head, MT2 in the tailstock.