Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to wash off dark carbon/motor oil stains

Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 09:44:17 -0500, Ignoramus21254
wrote:

Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Thanks

Goop (smells good) or Permatex (smells awful) hand cleaner will take
care of the oil. Make sure the clothes are dry first and don't wet
them for a half-hour or so after rubbing it in.

'Don't know about the carbon. That's just rubbed into the fabric. If
washing in regular detergent won't do it, I don't know what will --
unless it comes out with the oil.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:44:26 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus21254 wrote:
Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Thanks

I use Dawn dish washing detergent on a lot of things. Like getting my hands clean. It works surprisingly well on oil. Try it using an old tooth brush.
If you can use it to get crude oil off birds, it ought to work on used motor oil.

Something else to try would be some hydrogen peroxide. It releases monatomic oxygen which ought to combine with the carbon to make CO2. But that will bleach the cloth.oil.

An ultra sonic unit , if you have one, would likely work fairly well.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Timing really helps. 2 tips: The quicker you wash the clothing after
the stain, the better. And never put a stained piece of clothing into
the dryer, as it can 'set' the stain. Pull the stained clothing out
of the washer and see if the stain is gone. If not, don't dry it. Try
other stain removers while it's spin-dried.

If you spill latex paint on good clothes, soak the painted area in DNA
or isopropyl (weaker) alcohol, then brush with stiff plastic bristle
or fine bristle brass/bronze brush to remove the thicker portion. Now
wash as usual while still wet with the alcohol.

Things like powdered graphite and sooty dust will blow off with a
narrow, OSHA-disapproved tip and high pressure, so try blowing first,
preferably BEFORE you wipe it in. OSHA-approved goggles recommended.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Some of the old standards help: borax, washing soda, and fels naptha
soap. When I want to whiten my whites, I put half the amount of
liquid soap, half a cup of borax, and half a cup of washing soda in
the wash. If there's a grease/grass stain on clothes, I rub it with
naptha soap before washing.

Newer helps: Orange oil, EasyWash, cleaning enzymes, purple degreaser.

Some spray enzymatic cleaner my sister gave to me is from her MLM herb
company, Nature's Sunshine. It took out grease stains which were set
in by the dryer when nothing else worked for me, which really and
pleasantly surprised me.
https://www.naturessunshine.com/us/p...-spray/P95044/
If you sign up to get the member price ($40 min order) please use her
name: Cheri Jaques. They bombard with email until you unsubscribe,
then they don't bother you. The products are great, but $$$$ to me.

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Thanks

Goop (smells good) or Permatex (smells awful) hand cleaner will take
care of the oil. Make sure the clothes are dry first and don't wet
them for a half-hour or so after rubbing it in.

'Don't know about the carbon. That's just rubbed into the fabric. If
washing in regular detergent won't do it, I don't know what will --
unless it comes out with the oil.

Drt cleaning. Use caeb/choke cleaner - some brakr cleaners work too.
If the "dry cleaning" doesn't work the only way to get rid of the
stains is a scissors.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't you want to caution him to test either of those solvents on a
hidden area of the clothes first?

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've used both on cotton and polyester blends with no problem. Safe
on any natural fiber - I might not want to use it on acetate/

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's good to hear. I haven't looked at the MSDSes on those but I
heard someone call B12 "acetone" the other day and I didn't buy it.
Surprisingly enough, a lawnmower engine will run on half diesel and
half gasoline. I stumbled across this on djutube the other day and
watched it out of curiosity.
http://tinyurl.com/ycdale54

Let's see: Brakleen non-chlorinated has Acetone, Heptane, Methanol,
and Toluene. Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner has 2-Butoxyethylene, mixed
Xylenes, and n-Propanol. They just don't sound "clothes friendly",
y'know?

I'm still extremely dissatisfied with "green" cleaners. They simply
don't work at all. What they did to mineral spirits in order to lower
the VOCs is just disgusting. "Low odor" and "odorless" work fine, but
the tree-hugger approved stuff is just miserable. I had to go buy
some real mineral spirits after being unable to use the green **** to
clean some oil off painted areas before painting. It also failed
miserably when I brought it home and tried to clean oil paint off
artist's brushes.

I might not want to use it on acetate/

Might not need the scissors for that large hole.

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09-Sep-17 9:44 AM, Ignoramus21254 wrote:
Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

In a former life I did training and field calibration/support for our
online coal analyzers and consequently spent a fair amount of time at
mines, prep plants and loadout stations plus the occasional power plant.
There's essentially nothing that attacks elemental carbon; and if the
clothing has already been washed once it's black from now on.

I turned in a few rental cars that didn't look very pristine after a
trip to the mines in E KY; I don't think I ever was on a service call
there that it didn't rain on me besides all the rest...what I really,
really loved (not) was that we only got access to the beltline after the
gob shifts finished their night's work so normally it was 2AM or so
before could even start a set of calibration runs (which consisted of
placing a set of coal samples of known ash content under the detector
head and measuring the response then building a calibration curve)...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some of my clothes, not surprisingly, have dark spots from used oil
and carbon. I am not sure if it is the oil itself, or the carbon works
as a dye, but they do NOT clean up with regular clothes detergent. I
want to clean them out properly.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to what to do with these dark stains.

Thanks

We throw a liter of Coca Cola in the washing machine along with usual
detergent to clean up Mechanics coveralls that are soiled with grease,
diesel fuel etc.

--
Machiavelli wrote:It is necessary for the state to deal in lies and half
truths,