Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dark stains on grout

Some of the grout lines near the bathtub faucet are dark as if they
are wet. The grout is sand colored. They are not wet, however; they
appear to be permanently stained or darkened. The grout is relatively
new, and there is nothing that would have gotten on them except
perhaps a little water. Is this just a case of regrouting and making
sure that it is properly sealed, or is something else going on here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Inquiringmind" wrote in message
ps.com...

Some of the grout lines near the bathtub faucet are dark as if they
are wet. The grout is sand colored. They are not wet, however; they
appear to be permanently stained or darkened. The grout is relatively
new, and there is nothing that would have gotten on them except
perhaps a little water. Is this just a case of regrouting and making
sure that it is properly sealed, or is something else going on here?

Was the grout OK in the beginning? Was it sealed?

You could try some laundry bleach. If that works, follow up with sealant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I mixed the grout. It's not the beginning or the end -- the whole
area was done at the same time. I sealed the grout, although I am
beginning to wonder if I could have not sealed it adequately. I guess
my only concern is if somehow water could be leaking behind the wall
to that area and is reflected in the darkening of the grout lines.
But they don't feel wet to the touch, and I'm not sure how water could
get to them through the greenboard, mastic and tile.