Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dark stains on shingles?

Does anyone have a solution for the formation of I believe mildew
or mold that can discolor shingles? I believe there is a chemical that
can almost makes these stains disappear upon contact. I once saw a
demonstration of mildew disappearing from a sidewalk with a chemical
but I have no idea of what the chemical was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

Does anyone have a solution for the formation of I believe mildew
or mold that can discolor shingles? I believe there is a chemical that
can almost makes these stains disappear upon contact. I once saw a
demonstration of mildew disappearing from a sidewalk with a chemical
but I have no idea of what the chemical was.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/082_Bla...Shingles.shtml

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxybleach.html

a solution for the formation

zinc or copper strips. May have to go to a real building supply place
for them.

of I believe mildew

Black Algae probably

a chemical that can almost makes these stains disappear upon contact.

Household bleach will do in most of that stuff. That was on a sidewalk.
Bleach ain't gonna hurt that.

If you get any ideas, DON'T PRESSURE WASH A ROOF. The only people that
will recommend that are people that do it for money and people that have
done it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.askthebuilder.com/082_Bla...Asphalt_Shingl...

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxybleach.html

a solution for the formation

zinc or copper strips. May have to go to a real building supply place
for them.

of I believe mildew

Black Algae probably

a chemical that can almost makes these stains disappear upon contact.

Household bleach will do in most of that stuff. That was on a sidewalk.
Bleach ain't gonna hurt that.

If you get any ideas, DON'T PRESSURE WASH A ROOF. The only people that
will recommend that are people that do it for money and people that have
done it.

Bleach,sprayed on in a garden sprayer, Bleach kills mold

Posted to alt.home.repair

SpraynForget has worked well for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:02:18 -0700, Frank Thompson
wrote:

SpraynForget has worked well for me.

www.sprayandforget.com

That looks like it might work. Results show after a few weeks.
Needs no scrubbing or rinsing and lasts for months.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

SpraynForget has worked well for me.

www.sprayandforget.com

That looks like it might work. Results show after a few weeks.
Needs no scrubbing or rinsing and lasts for months.

Thanks

While I agree with what they say is the problem, they are trying to rope
you in to keep buying the stuff.

"A standard practice should be to clean your roof and then apply a
preventative such as Spray & ForgetTM every 18-24 months"

"Adding a roof algae/moss prevention program to your ..."

Zinc/copper strips will stop it as long as there is zinc/copper on the
strips.

Anytime reroofing is done, Algae Resistant shingles should be used. Might
even be standard across mfgrs by now.

And BTW, the best leak prevention program is to stay the hell off the
roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

www.sprayandforget.com

That looks like it might work. Results show after a few weeks.
Needs no scrubbing or rinsing and lasts for months.

Thanks

While I agree with what they say is the problem, they are trying to rope
you in to keep buying the stuff.

"A standard practice should be to clean your roof and then apply a
preventative such as Spray & ForgetTM every 18-24 months"

I would never consider cleaning the roof if it involved any physical
pressure on the grains in the shingles. The above product does not
require scrubbing or rinsing. It only requires a time period for the
results to show.