Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe RPM

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one on
the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

900 RPM on my 15" Sheldon. it will go to 1250 RPM, but that just seems too
fast. I normally have an 8" adjustable chuck on it.

For larger work, or hard materials, I have to change down to a lower gear.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21/08/17 18:52, Bob La Londe wrote:
Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one
on the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

I normally run at 800 rpm or 1200 rpm on my Harrison M300, it will go to
2500rpm but the fuse for the 3 phase converter doesn't like the start-up
surge unless the gearbox oil is already warm. For some tougher materials
I machine from time to time such as 310 stainless steel I'll drop down
to 260 rpm, 370 rpm or 540 rpm depending on the operation and tool
material.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:52:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one on
the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

Calculate the cutting speed :-) Turning an item, say a foot in
diameter, requires a noticeably different speed than turning a 1/2"
shaft :-)

--
Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the
time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play
one on the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow
specialty.

I try for a cutting speed around 80-100 feet per minute, using HSS
bits on steel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know the speeds I use. I have a 3-phase motor & a VFD for which
I made a controller that has a dial for the FPM and another for the
diameter. Dial 'em in & the controller takes it from there. On-the-fly
adjustments as needed.

15-30k RPM 7x12 Mini Lathe Wild_Bill Metalworking 4 May 6th 12 07:29 PM
WANTED/WTB: Lathe headstock, CNC lathe, small lathe, ... [email protected] Metalworking 4 May 27th 06 04:18 PM
3 Phase 184 Frame Motor/ 1800 RPM [email protected] Metalworking 2 December 13th 04 05:40 PM
Beal Buffing (RPM) Alan Woodturning 2 November 2nd 03 05:29 PM
Adding LED RPM Meter to a Oneway Lathe Steven D. Russell Woodturning 18 September 3rd 03 01:23 PM