DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lathe RPM (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/595490-lathe-rpm.html)

Bob La Londe[_7_] August 21st 17 06:52 PM

Lathe RPM

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one on
the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

Jon Elson[_3_] August 21st 17 08:56 PM

Lathe RPM

Bob La Londe wrote:

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

900 RPM on my 15" Sheldon. it will go to 1250 RPM, but that just seems too
fast. I normally have an 8" adjustable chuck on it.

For larger work, or hard materials, I have to change down to a lower gear.

Jon

David Billington[_2_] August 21st 17 09:07 PM

Lathe RPM

On 21/08/17 18:52, Bob La Londe wrote:
Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one
on the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

I normally run at 800 rpm or 1200 rpm on my Harrison M300, it will go to
2500rpm but the fuse for the 3 phase converter doesn't like the start-up
surge unless the gearbox oil is already warm. For some tougher materials
I machine from time to time such as 310 stainless steel I'll drop down
to 260 rpm, 370 rpm or 540 rpm depending on the operation and tool
material.

[email protected] August 22nd 17 01:25 AM

Lathe RPM

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 10:52:57 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one on
the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

Calculate the cutting speed :-) Turning an item, say a foot in
diameter, requires a noticeably different speed than turning a 1/2"
shaft :-)

--
Cheers,

Schweik

Jim Wilkins[_2_] August 22nd 17 01:42 AM

Lathe RPM

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the
time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play
one on the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow
specialty.

I try for a cutting speed around 80-100 feet per minute, using HSS
bits on steel.

Bob Engelhardt August 22nd 17 04:35 AM

Lathe RPM

I don't know the speeds I use. I have a 3-phase motor & a VFD for which
I made a controller that has a dial for the FPM and another for the
diameter. Dial 'em in & the controller takes it from there. On-the-fly
adjustments as needed.

Martin Eastburn August 22nd 17 04:52 AM

Lathe RPM

RPM is set for surface speed to cut with. Large diameters have more
surface speed - inches/minute.

cutting steel or brass depends on the correct setup.

Martin