Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe RPM

On 21/08/17 18:52, Bob La Londe wrote:
Is there a speed you just routinely find yourself using most of the time?

As I've said many times. I'm not a "real" machinist. I just play one
on the Internet, and I get paid for some work in a very narrow specialty.

I normally run at 800 rpm or 1200 rpm on my Harrison M300, it will go to
2500rpm but the fuse for the 3 phase converter doesn't like the start-up
surge unless the gearbox oil is already warm. For some tougher materials
I machine from time to time such as 310 stainless steel I'll drop down
to 260 rpm, 370 rpm or 540 rpm depending on the operation and tool
material.