Steven D. Russell

Default Adding LED RPM Meter to a Oneway Lathe

Hello to the group,

I have a Oneway 2436-3 lathe in my studio and I would like to add an LED
meter to it to measure the exact spindle rpm's. Has anyone attempted this
modification and if so, what parts are necessary? If the parts are hard to
find, what stockist did you use to obtain these parts?

The Oneway has a speed indicator dial of course, but I would like to see a
LED readout of the exact spindle rpm's. My studio work involves lots of R&D
work and having the exact readout would be beneficial.

It would also be nice if I could somehow output the readings to a laptop or
other recording device, which could measure the RPM's achieved or lost, over
a given amount of time for specific procedures.

For example, when roughing a bowl what was the highest RPM used, the average
RPM's over a given amount of time and the lowest RPM encountered? This and
other information is what I need to track and record. Any ideas on how to
achieve this would be most appreciated.

Another example... As many of you know I developed a low power technique to
effectively use the Kelton Centre Saver on lathes with motors as small as
3/4 HP. My technique involves "pulsing" the knife into and out of the
cutting zone rhythmically, to keep the RPM's high.

The ability to electronically record and verify the most efficient protocol
(by monitoring the RPM output of the motor during the coring process) for
this would be desirable.

I have heard of other turners who have made this modification to their
Oneway and other lathes, but I cannot find any sites on the web that discuss
this modification. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and all
the best to you and yours!

Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

"Woodturning with Steven D. Russell" CD now available!
More than 93,000 words, and 500+ photos in 21 articles, email for details.

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for
the Woodturning and Woodworking Industries

DJ Delorie

I've measured my lathe's actual RPM using a magnet, a coil, and a
digital oscilloscope (in my laptop). The computer part is easy (for
me at least). The tricky part is the sensor. I don't expect people
would want to buy a digital oscilloscope just to measure RPM ;-)
Leo Lichtman

DJ Delorie wrote: I've measured my lathe's actual RPM using a magnet, a
coil, and a digital oscilloscope (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^
I recall reading somewhere about using a bicycle speed meter (cyclometer.)
You mount a magnet somewhere, like on the handwheel, and a little reed
switch next to it. Cyclometers have a setting for wheel size, which should
allow you to make the thing direct reading. It won't feed your competer,
though.

Russell Seaton

There isn't much discussion about adding an electronic RPM gauge to
the lathe in this article, but it does have a person you may be able
to contact for information. And it says he bought the tachometer from
MSC.

http://www.woodturningplus.com/Safety/speed_kills.htm

Relevant quote from article:

For about six months I searched for an inexpensive tachometer to put
on my lathe. The only solution that I initially found was an
expensive, ($220.) highly accurate industrial tachometer from MSC (
This is permanently mounted on my lathe and gives very accurate
readings. (It also looks kind of cute.) (See photograph #1.) After
using the tachometer for a little while you know what your RPM is by
the sound of your motor. That means that I could turn my tachometer
off most of the time or loan it to somebody in my club because I now
have a good ideal what the RMP is just by listening to my lathe.

Recently I found an old Sears hand held tachometer that is pressed
against the end of the spinning shaft. (See photograph #2.) This gives
a direct readout while it is pressed into your morris taper. Again
with a little practice you will learn what your RPM is by the sound of
your lathe using the hand held tachometer as a reference. In this way
one small inexpensive hand held tachometer could be used by your
entire woodturning club. Check with your machinist supply company to
find this tachometer or a pawn shop to find a used one. (Of course not
everyone in the club will need the tachometer. Some people do not take
their lathes apart and put them back together again differently.) (See
photograph #3 where I made a jack shaft to reduce the RPM of my
Powermatic lathe.)

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in message ...
[...]

Russell Seaton

This is the contact information from the Woodturning Plus website for
the Ron Hampton author who wrote the RPM article.

If you are an author or would like to be an author and would like to
have your material posted here please contact me at
Ron

The Balancer may be purchased from Ron Hampton at 903-794-5386

[...]

George

I would go with an analog readout. It would be too distracting to watch the
numbers flicker up and down. I don't like LED speedometer gauges in cars
for that reason, even though they're compensated for "lag." That, and
they're not good for those of us of the bifocal persuasion.

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in message
. ..
Hello to the group,

I have a Oneway 2436-3 lathe in my studio and I would like to add an LED
meter to it to measure the exact spindle rpm's. Has anyone attempted this
modification and if so, what parts are necessary? If the parts are hard to
find, what stockist did you use to obtain these parts?

DJ Delorie

"Leo Lichtman" writes:
You mount a magnet somewhere, like on the handwheel, and a little reed
switch next to it.

I forgot all about reed relays. I wouldn't expect them to be able to
reliably switch fast enough for the higher speeds (100 times/sec),
though. Maybe a hall effect sensor. The usual sensors are either
hall effect (magnetic) or infrared (paint a dark/light pattern on your
spindle). Or a coil, but that requires more pre-conditioning of the
signal, and they're bigger.
George

Sure, and glad to know others get spooked by things apparently moving out of
the "corner of the eye."

"Arch" wrote in message
George, I agree that analog readout is preferable to a LED for observing
while turning wood or driving a car; as opposed to setting a certain
speed. Could Steven at reasonable expense, observe the changing rpm in
analog form while he is turning and simultaneously store the data in
analog form. Then at a reasonable expense later, have it processed for
computer use with someone else's AtoD and digital scope? Arch

Fortiter,

Arch

Amazing. The effects of the N.E. blackout reach all the way to the N.W.
and the S.E. 'On topic' posts from both Leif & Arch in the same thread,
...and not a single nor 'G'. Hallelujah! Arch

Fortiter,

Ken Moon

Steven,
For what you've described, I think you have 2 optrions:
1. An automotive electric speedometer with digital readout should be
able to get you in the ballpark with a little calibration. My wife
gave me a device a few years back that used a magnet attached to the
drive shaft with a magnetic pickup mounted on the bottom of the
chassis. I don't remember the calibration procedure, but it could be
set to read out correctly for different gear/tire size combinations.
My race car had a direct drive high gear and an rpm range up to 7000
RPM, so it should be within the range of your lathe. You can call some
of the speed shops in Houston proper, or down along I-45 near Houston
International Raceway (near NASA), and get up to date info on what is
available now. Seems like there used to be a custom engine builder up
around I-45 near
Spring, also. Seems like the cost on the unit I had was around $100
about 6-7 years ago. Should be able to get the same cheaper now.

2. Electronic test equipment dealers, who handle used equipment should
be able to furnish you with an electronic counter with data output.
The big down side here is possibly the cost may be higher than you
want to expend. They would require some sort of sensor also, with the
magnetic being the easiest to set up.
There is a new/used dealer in Garland called Tucker Electronics. They
have a good used supply of most commercial equipment, as well as
several lines of new equipment. I don't have their 800 number any
more, but they have a website. I worked for them back in the 70's, and
the owner is a good guy, and they stand behind their stuff. A lot of
it is used gov't equipment (NASA, FAA, etc.) and is in good shape
when they receive it, then they go over it and recalibrate it to
original specs and give you a certificate traceable to NIST (formerly
National Bureau of Standards).
Hope this helps.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

PS.
Are you going to be at SWAT Labor Day weekend?
*********************************

[...]

Dan Bollinger

Leo, I believe those speedometers use a magnetic sensor, not a reed switch.
The one I have is adjustable for wheel size, but does not go anywhere small
enough. They are cheap, though.

100 foot per minute is 1.1 mph. Playing around with it might get you to the
point where the readout is x100 rpm.

Graingers has digital rpm meters.

I have an rpm attachment for my DVM.

Dan

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

DJ Delorie wrote: I've measured my lathe's actual RPM using a magnet, a
coil, and a digital oscilloscope (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^
I recall reading somewhere about using a bicycle speed meter (cyclometer.)
You mount a magnet somewhere, like on the handwheel, and a little reed
switch next to it. Cyclometers have a setting for wheel size, which

should
allow you to make the thing direct reading. It won't feed your competer,
though.

william_b_noble

steve - the best way to do this would be to machine a "castle" shaped piece
of soft iron (think of a castellated lock nut) that you can attach to the
lathe - the number of castle "points" depends on the minimum RPM, but your
car uses this kind of technkque and works down to 1/2 cranking speed - e.g.
about 100 rpm - in fact you might be able to dismantle an automotive
distributor to get the parts - that would give you a pickup coil too. There
are some meters that will count pulse rate directly from the coil, but if
you wanted to build your own, do the following:

1. signal condition with an op amp with unity gain to reject common mode
voltages, then run into a second op amp with some positive feedback to
generate clean pulses. add a little lag to the first op amp to help remove
noise.
2. feed the pulses into a trigger circuit to make nice digital pulses. Feed
the pulses into a BCD counter that drives your LED display (or buy an LED
counter assembly)
3. reset the display based on a reasonably stable time base - you can use a
cheap clock circuit to generate pulses every 10 ms (100 times per second).

quick calculation - if you use a 10 ms counting interval, and you want the
thing to read in RPM, then I'd suggest having 10 castle peaks - you will
thus read "10" for your 100 rpm. If you use an automotive 8 cylinder
distributor, you'll get 8 pulses per revolution, so you would use 100/8=12.5
ms as your time base for resetting the counter.

oh, did you mean you wanted to BUY something ready made? There are lots of
tach assemblies available - Minarek is a good source for starting out.

[...]

Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

The some end bicycle computer have 2 sensor one for wheel a second for
the crank that reports its rams
Don't know how fast the cadence will go
http://www.lickbike.com/i3198100.htm
http://cateye.com/manuals/CD200%20v1_E.pdf

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:34:31 GMT, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

"Dan Bollinger" wrote in message
Steven, Using speedometers are going to be a hassle because of the
conversion problems of rpm to speed. Why not buy a tachometer instead?
I've seen 12VDC automotive digital tachs for $60 new in auto stores. Check
eBay for used items. Dan

[...]

Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

sorry

The some bicycle computer have 2 sensor one for wheel a second for
the crank that reports its RPMs
Don't know how fast the cadence can go

wrote:

[...]

Ste7

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in news:2s6%a.436$OG1.301
@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com:

Oneway 2436-3

There are several possible methodologies you could use for RPM measurement.
Bicycle cyclometers and many other tachs are based on hall effect switches
which are simply small magnets which generate a pulse as they are passed by
a pickup sensor. The cyclometer idea may or may not work because they
convert RPM to MPH based on the circumference of the bicycle wheel (usually
measured in centimeters).

You could build one using a simple microcontroler, e.g. a Pic or Basic
Stamp. There are many articles on the web aboub Pic conctrollers and
"Basic Stamp" controllers, but, a certain knowledge and investment in time
may be required to take this approach.

Commercially you could buy a handheld tach using LED's to sense the motion.
LED based measurements count pulses based on the change in light reflected
off the object being observed. An example of this would be a Testo 470 or
475. These handheld units would allow you to use it in various places, but,
may be beyond your need if you just want to measure on your oneway. Again a
web search on Testo os simply rpm measurement will turn up several ideas
that might of some use.

Or you could trade in your oneway for a DVR 3000 which indicates
speed...probably not what you had in mind

If you need any microcontroller info you can contact me via email.

steve
Fred

Hi Steve,

Had the pleasure of meeting you (and learning from you) at the Detroit
Woodworking Show last December, and also purchased your helpful CD.

Skip Campbell at MKC Tools (a fellow Texan, though I don't know how close to
you, with the size of Texas - but he seems to be very nice and
knowledgeable, enjoys machinery challenges) sells a digital lathe tachometer
for under $100. If it wouldn't be readily mountable to your Oneway, I would
bet that he would be willing to work with you on it.

Here is a link to the specific page (he does these for Shopsmiths, as well
as others):
http://www.mkctools.com/tachulator.htm

Hope this is of help.

Kind Regards,
Fred Bearman
Port Huron, Michigan

[...]

Steven D. Russell

Hello Fred,

Thanks for the kind words... :-) I'm glad you enjoyed my CD. I will contact
Skip and see if we can put our heads together on this... Thanks again and
all the best to you and yours!
--

"Fred" wrote in message news:3f40e3f4@news...
[...]

Dan Bollinger

However for your purposes the easiest would be an optical pick up.
As to tying this into a computer, I presume there may be some equipment
out there that has this option.

I have such a device that plugs into my DVM. It works very well, but is a
tad on the expensive side and a bit combersome for a permanent solution.

Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
FS: Sheldon WWII Army lathe and extras Keith Norman Metalworking 0 March 10th 04 10:47 PM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM
Club lathe reccomendations WANTED Bob Hewson Woodturning 2 July 14th 03 12:15 AM