Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help needed with sealing assembled pipe

In Washington State recent laws now allow micro distilleries. One is
opening up near me and I have done some welding on the stainless steel
stills. Someone goofed and a 3/4 pipe coupler was threaded to the
drain on the bottom of the still. It is apparently leaking. I am
pretty sure it galled up during assembly. There is not enough room to
weld around the threaded joint. So I'm thinking about using a wicking
sealer. Loctite makes one, 290, but it is only good up to 1/2 inch
diameter threads. Does anybody here know if I can get it to work on
the 3/4 pipe? I just need sealing, not retention of the fitting. I
will consider other methods too. I doubt that taking the coupler off
without destroying the threads is possible. I am willing to try using
Kroil or similar but if that doesn't work I will need to somehow clean
it out of the threads if I intend to use a wicking sealer. HELP!
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 15:43:53 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Is the outlet of the still male? If not, I'd just unscrew and
replace. If the nipple is bunged, replace that too.

I'm surprised the outlet is not a sanitary flange. I wouldn't want
leftover mash stuck in the threads, although the product does go
overhead.

Pete Keillor

Cleaning up pipe threads with a die is much easier than cutting them
initially. My collection of larger pipe taps and dies is mostly second
hand and too dull to thread solid metal, but they fix rusty or damaged
threads well enough.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 3:39:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
In Washington State recent laws now allow micro distilleries. One is
opening up near me and I have done some welding on the stainless steel
stills. Someone goofed and a 3/4 pipe coupler was threaded to the
drain on the bottom of the still. It is apparently leaking.

My first thought is teflon pipe tape; it's safe for consumable contact,
and should take autoclaving temperatures and contact with organic solvents...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 06:55:01 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

[...]

The outlet is a nipple welded to the still. Can't be replaced without
much trouble. I convinced them to not use threaded fittings anymore
for drainage but I still need to fix the one. I need a solution that
doesn't involve unscrewing anything. I thought I made that clear in my
first post but once again I didn't.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:37:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 3:39:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
In Washington State recent laws now allow micro distilleries. One is
opening up near me and I have done some welding on the stainless steel
stills. Someone goofed and a 3/4 pipe coupler was threaded to the
drain on the bottom of the still. It is apparently leaking.

My first thought is teflon pipe tape; it's safe for consumable contact,
and should take autoclaving temperatures and contact with organic solvents...

I can't unscrew the fitting. That's why I'm looking at wicking
sealers. I think I found a solution over the weekend. Apparently
Sil-Phos will braze SS nicely and wicks very well. So I will try it
out on some SS fittings and if it works I'll do the still.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:ncpcfi$t0o$1
@dont-email.me:

Something off the wall... I've used electric tape in the past for
odd leaks.

Really? On food-grade equipment? They'd sue you off the face of the
earth!

Although it might _work_, to use it on a food processing device would be
tantamount to deliberate sabotage!

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have used "silver solder" (actually silver brazing) with a flux for
stainless with good results and it will flow into pretty small places.
I was building a bicycle frame with steel tubes and stainless lugs but
you can read
http://www.morebeer.com/brewingtechn....6/palmer.html
for use in brewing
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I understood your post, I thought is was galled, but maybe would still
come off, guess not. I'm mostly concerned about using threaded
fittings in "food" application. Maybe it's ok on a still. Same for
the silver solder, is it ok in that service, and how do you flux?
It'll wick if everything is very clean and fluxed, but you have to
make damned sure you get residual flux out. Some of that stuff has
hydrofluoric acid in it.

Might be better to bite the bullet, cut that sucker off, and weld on
the proper fitting. They'd avoid trouble (and potential fines) down
the road.

Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The way the thing is now welding on a different fitting would be
really expensive. So the solution will be as it looks now is a
phosphoric acid based flux which is safe for food service as well as a
silver solder alloy that is made for food service. The still will not
be distilling the beer but will instead be distilling the distillate
from the beer, so mainly alcohol and water. It is a vodka still. It's
odd to think about when we hear about all the poisons in moonshine,
like lead and cadmium from solder, but these poisons only get into the
condensate. The vapor doesn't carry any poisons that won't vaporise
during the process. And pathogens are killed by the temp and
eventually the high alcohol concentration. So even though I'm pretty
sure some stuff will collect in the threads in the drain for this
still it won't cause any harm. Nevertheless I have convinced them to
do away with the threaded fittings and go with welded fittings and
sanitary flanges, which they have have done with subsequent stills.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:ncpcfi$t0o$1
@dont-email.me:

Something off the wall... I've used electric tape in the past for
odd leaks.

Really? On food-grade equipment? They'd sue you off the face of the
earth!

Although it might _work_, to use it on a food processing device would be
tantamount to deliberate sabotage!

It's no different than leaving on a busted up theaded fitting that leaks
because it costs too much to replace.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:ncs8tm
:

It's no different than leaving on a busted up theaded fitting that leaks
because it costs too much to replace.

BS... the latter one is a maintenance issue (and must be corrected). The
other is "deliberate contamination".

C'mon... think.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:11:34 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:ncpcfi$t0o$1
@dont-email.me:

Something off the wall... I've used electric tape in the past for
odd leaks.

Really? On food-grade equipment? They'd sue you off the face of the
earth!

Although it might _work_, to use it on a food processing device would be
tantamount to deliberate sabotage!

It's no different than leaving on a busted up theaded fitting that leaks
because it costs too much to replace.

If you are alluding to the fitting I needed to seal, it was not busted
up, it was galled. Full thread engagement. Assembled dry the pipe
joint leaked. Wicking Loctite 290 is an industry accepted practice for
this type of leak, even for food contact. As is the particular silver
solder alloy slated for the job. The finished assembly is now stronger
than if it was assembled with teflon tape, which is also acceptable
for food contact. So there.
Eric

Sealing waste pipe holes Tim Streater UK diy 4 January 2nd 10 11:33 PM
Sealing an old toilet waste pipe? A.Lee UK diy 3 June 23rd 07 09:42 AM
Sealing old lead pipe Simon UK diy 9 April 15th 07 08:59 PM
Sealing in a fireplace - vent needed? [email protected] UK diy 5 January 2nd 07 11:01 PM
Sealing soil pipe F UK diy 23 September 13th 06 09:17 AM