Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sealing an old toilet waste pipe?

I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop unwelcome
smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of concrete?
(which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).
Thanks
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop

unwelcome
smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of

concrete?
(which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).
Thanks
Alan.

The 'classic' approach is a tight plug of newspapers, followed by 6"
of quick setting cement well puddled to form a neat seal.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed. The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it. The hard
bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop unwelcome smells
coming through. Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto
the waste pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor? Or is it a case of
a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of concrete? (which I sure must
be totally wrong, hence my query!).

Mine shares its drain with the kitchen sink waste so unless you're sure it
does nothing else it would be best to cap it rather than fill in.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop
unwelcome smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of
concrete? (which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).

The 'classic' approach is a tight plug of newspapers, followed by 6"
of quick setting cement well puddled to form a neat seal.

Exactly what I have done in the past, BCO suggested it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
OK to Cut Off Toilet Waste Pipe? TheScullster UK diy 4 March 10th 07 02:49 AM
Toilet waste pipe - floor mounted! EricP UK diy 10 October 22nd 06 11:47 AM
Packing in toilet waste pipe F UK diy 6 July 13th 06 09:24 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM