DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sealing an old toilet waste pipe? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/204573-sealing-old-toilet-waste-pipe.html)

A.Lee June 23rd 07 07:35 AM

Sealing an old toilet waste pipe?

I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop unwelcome
smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of concrete?
(which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).
Thanks
Alan.

Andrew Mawson June 23rd 07 08:11 AM

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop

unwelcome
smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of

concrete?
(which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).
Thanks
Alan.

The 'classic' approach is a tight plug of newspapers, followed by 6"
of quick setting cement well puddled to form a neat seal.

AWEM

Dave Plowman (News) June 23rd 07 09:42 AM

Sealing an old toilet waste pipe?

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed. The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it. The hard
bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop unwelcome smells
coming through. Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto
the waste pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor? Or is it a case of
a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of concrete? (which I sure must
be totally wrong, hence my query!).

Mine shares its drain with the kitchen sink waste so unless you're sure it
does nothing else it would be best to cap it rather than fill in.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Medway Handyman June 23rd 07 09:42 AM

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to remove an old outside toilet, and make it into a
shed.
The easy bit is removing all the bits, and painting it.
The hard bit is making sure the sewer outlet is sealed to stop
unwelcome smells coming through.
Are there any proper seals available for fitting onto the waste
pipe/outlet that is in the concrete floor?
Or is it a case of a bit of rubble in there, then a coating of
concrete? (which I sure must be totally wrong, hence my query!).

The 'classic' approach is a tight plug of newspapers, followed by 6"
of quick setting cement well puddled to form a neat seal.

Exactly what I have done in the past, BCO suggested it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman