Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help needed with sealing assembled pipe

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:25:14 -0700, wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:37:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 3:39:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
In Washington State recent laws now allow micro distilleries. One is
opening up near me and I have done some welding on the stainless steel
stills. Someone goofed and a 3/4 pipe coupler was threaded to the
drain on the bottom of the still. It is apparently leaking.

My first thought is teflon pipe tape; it's safe for consumable contact,
and should take autoclaving temperatures and contact with organic solvents...

I can't unscrew the fitting. That's why I'm looking at wicking
sealers. I think I found a solution over the weekend. Apparently
Sil-Phos will braze SS nicely and wicks very well. So I will try it
out on some SS fittings and if it works I'll do the still.
Eric

I was going to say solder or braze with the appropriate flux.