Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Help needed with sealing assembled pipe

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:25:14 -0700
wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:37:00 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

snip
I can't unscrew the fitting. That's why I'm looking at wicking
sealers. I think I found a solution over the weekend. Apparently
Sil-Phos will braze SS nicely and wicks very well. So I will try it
out on some SS fittings and if it works I'll do the still.
Eric

Something off the wall... I've used electric tape in the past for
odd leaks. Not sure if you have room to work with it or not... I would
splurge and get some nice 3M tape and then make some really tight
wraps, twice over the area. Then apply something like Scotchkote over
the tape. While it is still tacky make two more wraps with the tape.
Then apply another covering of Scotchkote.

http://www.amazon.com/SCOTCHKOTE-FD-...dp/B00AFX25UA/

The Scotchkote is key to the fix. It keeps the tape from unwrapping and
kind of binds it all together. Liquid Electrical Tape is similar, maybe
the same but I've not tried using it...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b