Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's It Gonna Be ?

Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

What it's gonna be is squarer to the axis after you face off the saw
cut?
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

What it's gonna be is squarer to the axis after you face off the saw cut?

That hopefully will be one of its properties.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

What it's gonna be is squarer to the axis after you face off the
saw cut?

That hopefully will be one of its properties.

A custom fishing reel spool?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

What it's gonna be is squarer to the axis after you face off the saw
cut?

That hopefully will be one of its properties.

A custom fishing reel spool?

Oh, we are so not even close now.

Hint: This piece is steel, Fishing reel spools are typically aluminum to
minimize weight, and reduce inertial over spin (backlash).

I'll post another picture soon. I'm just afraid that the next picture
(after the first machining operation) might give it away to easily to some
folks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

some type of Filler gauge?

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

some type of Filler gauge?

Robert

Interesting. Um, no.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-03-17, Bob La Londe wrote:
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

Looks STRANGELY familiar!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

An inclined (tapered) milling riser?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's It Gonna Be ? - Picture Number 2

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

Picture Number 2

http://allairgunners.com/gun-chat/ga...6_3_11_25.jpeg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

The next project in my queue for a round slug of steel like that is a
backplate for a front-mount Skinner lathe chuck. The previous one was
trolley hoist wheels to fit 3" channel iron, before that a hollow 50mm
hex key to tighten my car's crankshaft pulley bolt after changing the
timing belt. Would you have guessed any of those?

My source of short chunks of round steel is hydraulic cylinder rod
cutoffs from a rebuilder and old Segway fender mold guide pins.
--jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/17/2016 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

Picture Number 2

http://allairgunners.com/gun-chat/ga...6_3_11_25.jpeg

I've made cams that started like that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's It Gonna Be ? Picture Number 3

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_06_22.jpeg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's It Gonna Be ? - Picture Number 4

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_08_46.jpeg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 12:09:47 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_08_46.jpeg

OK, I'll bite: QR toolpost. I've been considering those options for
granddad's lathe recently...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"whit3rd" wrote in message
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 12:09:47 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_08_46.jpeg

OK, I'll bite: QR toolpost. I've been considering those options for
granddad's lathe recently...

Yup. We have a winner. QCTP. For the little 8.5x18 lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 21:21:39 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 3/17/2016 6:18 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

Picture Number 2

http://allairgunners.com/gun-chat/ga...6_3_11_25.jpeg

I've made cams that started like that.

Perfect part for a shaper. Make em fast and easy on just about any old
shaper.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Odd to have material in boxes below an oily saw.
Martin

On 3/18/2016 2:08 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_06_22.jpeg

Ha! I had to go look. Those are not under the saw. They are just some
empty fishing rod boxes that haven't gone out to the trash yet, because I am
debating on whether or not to use them for shipping to the organization the
rods are getting donated to after I add my business logos.

I do have stock under the saw. Long bar stock that will eventually get cut
on the saw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

Perfect part for a shaper. Make em fast and easy on just about any old
shaper.

I've never used a shaper; does one expect distortion at the start of the cut?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:30:25 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 11:14:04 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

Perfect part for a shaper. Make em fast and easy on just about any old
shaper.

I've never used a shaper; does one expect distortion at the start of the cut?

If its fastened down...virtually zero distortion unless the part is
very thin walled. Cut once across..you can nearly see yourself in the
finish. While slow..they really..really can do marvelous work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5Wyy_Kcds

On small parts..they are surprisingly fast..slower than a mill...but
not that much slower.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

On 3/20/2016 4:04 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Odd to have material in boxes below an oily saw.
Martin

On 3/18/2016 2:08 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Been a long time since I posted one of these.

So, here you go. First picture.

http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/ga..._12_05_55.jpeg

P.S. Iggy, Recognize that piece of metal?

http://tacklemaker.info/gallery/1_18..._12_06_22.jpeg

Ha! I had to go look. Those are not under the saw. They are just some
empty fishing rod boxes that haven't gone out to the trash yet, because I am
debating on whether or not to use them for shipping to the organization the
rods are getting donated to after I add my business logos.

I do have stock under the saw. Long bar stock that will eventually get cut
on the saw.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:24:00 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have to check my tooling and see what I can get away with.
I might mill some Al with the .75 and see if it is to wide and
makes a mess. Cutting both sides might be an issue. I likely use
the .5" dovetail. I'll keep you in mind when I break a tooth or
can't find what I'm looking for. I want to say they are in green
cardboard tube. See what the memory has soon.

The depth is .05" and .7" wide. (measuring font, not a slot)
So a slot will be cut with a normal endmill. And the .5" dovetail or
maybe the .75 one will trim the edges down the way. I'm thinking .5
both directions on each side at a time.

These hold engraving fonts that are dovetailed to hold in the slot and
two dovetail with thumb screw drives down and locks the end stops. So
the dovetail in the slot will be a bit more then what the font measures.

I think (been a while) I have a .5 and a .75 dovetail. Can't say I ever
used them before now.

I would like 3 9" adapters for the holders I have already.
They are 1 1/4" in size. Or a long one for my long holder.

I got a 6' stick so mistakes can happen. I can always find a local
machinist that can do it, but I'll give it a try first. And thus
use my mill and tooling. Been a while.

I'm hoping the brass will function well. It might be tough.

Martin

wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:35:48 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Remember..run a 2 flute down the center, full depth before running a
dovetail cutter on aluminum. Helps clear the chips far far easier than
flood and a sharp tool to dig em out of the flutes of your dovetail
cutter.

wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Brass? Tough? You just need a way to get a billion cubic inches of
chips out of the way. If you are power feeding..hold the hose from
your shop vac next to the slot and get the chips cleared out as you
cut, else they will tend to pack and you will cut the same chips over
and over again

wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Checked. Two of three boxes were green labels. Phew.

3/8" 3/4" 1-3/8 are the three sizes. The 3/8 looks great for
the size I need. tooth size. Have to measure still. It is in M42.

Have new end mills as well so they will be in good shape.

Going to be an trip of experience.

Martin

wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My bad - this is Al-Bronze. It is tough and can be
heated to temper / harden. Has Iron mixed in.

I remember milling a block of Si-Bronze - that is like
gold. It was lots of chips and curls. Had a jar of it
for craft use.

Martin

wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Remember..run a 2 flute down the center, full depth before running a
dovetail cutter on aluminum. Helps clear the chips far far easier
than flood and a sharp tool to dig em out of the flutes of your
dovetail cutter.

I usually make that 2 flute pass about .010" - .020" deeper than the final
depth of the dovetail , so there is no chance of the parts rubbing in the
center . Reduces drag and possible inaccuracy/repeatibility .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds good - I have .o5 to cut down to. The depth of the cutting
flute on the dovetail will be .025 maybe .03".

I'll have to see how the bronze cuts. If it is like Si-Bronze
it will be nice. If it is abrasion resistant it might be tough.

Like I say, going to be a trip. Hope it ends right without finding
a pro.

Martin

wrote:

Remember..run a 2 flute down the center, full depth before running a
dovetail cutter on aluminum. Helps clear the chips far far easier
than flood and a sharp tool to dig em out of the flutes of your
dovetail cutter.

I usually make that 2 flute pass about .010" - .020" deeper than the final
depth of the dovetail , so there is no chance of the parts rubbing in the
center . Reduces drag and possible inaccuracy/repeatibility .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Sounds good - I have .o5 to cut down to. The depth of the cutting
flute on the dovetail will be .025 maybe .03".

I'll have to see how the bronze cuts. If it is like Si-Bronze
it will be nice. If it is abrasion resistant it might be tough.

Like I say, going to be a trip. Hope it ends right without finding
a pro.

Martin

Which alloy is it ? I made some bushings (custom Harley swingarm pivots)
from (IIRC) ampco45 al bronze . Tough stuff , but cuts nicely with sharp
tooling .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is what I recall, the shipping says 954 ALBronze and I recall the
ampco45 attached to the website. I have enough to have a test piece
and test my skill or lack thereof.

I heard bushing and farm equipment.

Thanks my endmills are new and my dovetail is new. If I don't make them
old in the tests. :-)

Thank you.

Martin

On 3/29/2016 9:20 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote:
Sounds good - I have .o5 to cut down to. The depth of the cutting
flute on the dovetail will be .025 maybe .03".

I'll have to see how the bronze cuts. If it is like Si-Bronze
it will be nice. If it is abrasion resistant it might be tough.

Like I say, going to be a trip. Hope it ends right without finding
a pro.

Martin

Which alloy is it ? I made some bushings (custom Harley swingarm pivots)
from (IIRC) ampco45 al bronze . Tough stuff , but cuts nicely with sharp
tooling .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Sounds good - I have .o5 to cut down to. The depth of the cutting
flute on the dovetail will be .025 maybe .03".

I'll have to see how the bronze cuts. If it is like Si-Bronze
it will be nice. If it is abrasion resistant it might be tough.

Like I say, going to be a trip. Hope it ends right without finding
a pro.

Martin

Which alloy is it ? I made some bushings (custom Harley swingarm
pivots) from (IIRC) ampco45 al bronze . Tough stuff , but cuts
nicely with sharp tooling .

Those bushings were made to replace the OEM sillycone/steel/plastic/rubber
pivot bushings (aka cleve blocks) to improve handling . Designed by me from
factory cleve block drawings and machined in my shop , a set is installed in
my bike and a good friend's bike - he got the prototype set . He had his
apart after 35k miles , there was no wear at all .
--
Snag