Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's It Gonna Be ? Picture Number 3

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:35:48 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I have to check my tooling and see what I can get away with.
I might mill some Al with the .75 and see if it is to wide and
makes a mess. Cutting both sides might be an issue. I likely use
the .5" dovetail. I'll keep you in mind when I break a tooth or
can't find what I'm looking for. I want to say they are in green
cardboard tube. See what the memory has soon.

The depth is .05" and .7" wide. (measuring font, not a slot)
So a slot will be cut with a normal endmill. And the .5" dovetail or
maybe the .75 one will trim the edges down the way. I'm thinking .5
both directions on each side at a time.

These hold engraving fonts that are dovetailed to hold in the slot and
two dovetail with thumb screw drives down and locks the end stops. So
the dovetail in the slot will be a bit more then what the font measures.

I think (been a while) I have a .5 and a .75 dovetail. Can't say I ever
used them before now.

I would like 3 9" adapters for the holders I have already.
They are 1 1/4" in size. Or a long one for my long holder.

I got a 6' stick so mistakes can happen. I can always find a local
machinist that can do it, but I'll give it a try first. And thus
use my mill and tooling. Been a while.

I'm hoping the brass will function well. It might be tough.

Brass? Tough? You just need a way to get a billion cubic inches of
chips out of the way. If you are power feeding..hold the hose from
your shop vac next to the slot and get the chips cleared out as you
cut, else they will tend to pack and you will cut the same chips over
and over again

Martin

On 3/26/2016 6:57 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 22:24:00 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Ok. Just don't look into my shop. I have two of them in one building.
A bit stuffed.

Just got a stick of stock myself today.
72" of 2 1/2" 3/8" Al-Bronze.

Going to try to mill a dovetail slot down the center and inverse
dovetails on the outside.

It will slide into my engraver and custom tiny fonts will slide into it.

Might have to get a real machinist to do the job but I'll give it
a try first.

Martin

How you doing for dovetail cutters? I think I have a few I could
spare....

Gunner