Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Broke my lathe last night...sigh

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:55:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Ba
mi Ba

"Ba mui ba" is Vietnamese, not Thai. It means "33" (which was a BRAND), and
it's not liquor, but beer.

I know. (Grin). Being a non drinker I never bought a beer in
Thailand..so have no clue what any names of beer would be.
Beer will also make the boi a little fatty..or a big fatty...shrug.
Particulary mixed with dope.

I spoke the language there while doing my tour.

Lloyd

I learned mostly "yard, but could get by a bit in street
vietnamese..but most of it was in french..or a ******* mix.

Tôi ma^'t ha^`u he^'t các ngôn ngu+~ cu?a tôi khi tôi ?ă có ?o^.t quy.
cu?a tôi. ?áng buo^`n thay ....sigh

Now my clients have to speak english to me..which takes a lot of the
fun out of service calls. Shrug

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 19:10:20 -0700 (PDT), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 9:55:17 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Ba
mi Ba

"Ba mui ba" is Vietnamese, not Thai. It means "33" (which was a BRAND), and
it's not liquor, but beer.

I spoke the language there while doing my tour.

Lloyd

Yeah. I remember 33. But that's a reach calling it beer, Lloyd.

Ive heard it called recycled heron ****..but ..Im not a drinker.
Though Crom knows Ive guzzled enough Nam Pe from a straw along side a
bunch of little killers, then dragged myself off to "pee" while
sticking my fingers down my throat so I could puke it up and stay
alert and sober.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 21:24:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:55:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
m:

Ba
mi Ba

"Ba mui ba" is Vietnamese, not Thai. It means "33" (which was a BRAND), and
it's not liquor, but beer.

I know. (Grin). Being a non drinker I never bought a beer in
Thailand..so have no clue what any names of beer would be.
Beer will also make the boi a little fatty..or a big fatty...shrug.
Particulary mixed with dope.

I spoke the language there while doing my tour.

Lloyd

I learned mostly "yard, but could get by a bit in street
vietnamese..but most of it was in french..or a ******* mix.

Tôi ma^'t ha^`u he^'t các ngôn ngu+~ cu?a tôi khi tôi ?ă có ?o^.t quy.
cu?a tôi. ?áng buo^`n thay ....sigh

Now my clients have to speak english to me..which takes a lot of the
fun out of service calls. Shrug

Gunner

Oh..I did mention I lost nearly all the few languages I could mumble
my way though when I had the stroke in '09. Left a moderate sized hole
in my life and world view. Still hurts around the edges. .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/30/2016 6:42 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:59:44 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Radar units have vans. Boxy ones.
Martin AFRS in those years :-)

On 3/29/2016 7:11 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 11:36:16 -0700, Creepy banjo music
wrote:

On 3/27/2016 5:41 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 20:50:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 16:32:08 -0700,
wrote:

LOL Take your own advice, dip****. And send Wieber some cash for
crying out loud! Friends don't let friends sleep in vans. Give him as
much as he needs. After all, he's good for it, right? Worst case, he
can pay you back in kittens.

Why not sleep in vans?

The same reason people prefer homes over caves.

Tell that to traveling salesmen and service techs, millwrights, long
hall truckdrivers and railroad engineers..and then of course the
military.

Railroad Engineers sleep in vans? The Military sleep in vans?

Gee Gunner and you told us all about how you joined the Army and went
to Vietnam... You mean you slept in a van in Vietnam.

Notice how this

guy has you nailed? Yeah, I've noticed. We all have.

Funny, I didn't sleep in a van during my 18 months in the country....
in fact I don't even remember seeing a van the whole time I was there.

Funny...Ill bet he spent his 18 months either in

Funny: I don't believe you were even there. Snot-nosed punks
graduating from high school in June 1971 at age 17 didn't end up in Vietnam.

That does sort of casts a certain amount of doubt about your military
career, doesn't it?

Maybe he means he slept in a van when he was a mercenary in Rhodesia
chortle

I actually met a S. African bloke who had been a mercenary. He never
mentioned "vans". But he never mentioned anyone named "Gunner" either
so maybe he hadn't been in Rhodesia :-)

I was in Thailand a couple times

No, you weren't.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 22:32:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Garrett Fulton fired this volley in
:

Yeah. I remember 33. But that's a reach calling it beer, Lloyd.

I was "in the field". ANY beer is better than NO beer! G

Drink Bear Whiz Beer. No wonder it's yellow!

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The only Viet phrase I remember (from books, not military time) is
Du ma nhieu.

Pernunsikated "Doom On You" per Mr. Marcinko.

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
in human beings of which they know nothing.
--Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire, about 250 years ago
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

LOL Take your own advice, dip****. And send Wieber some cash for
crying out loud! Friends don't let friends sleep in vans. Give him as
much as he needs. After all, he's good for it, right? Worst case, he
can pay you back in kittens.

Why not sleep in vans?

The same reason people prefer homes over caves.

Tell that to traveling salesmen and service techs, millwrights, long
hall truckdrivers and railroad engineers..and then of course the
military.

Railroad Engineers sleep in vans? The Military sleep in vans?

Gee Gunner and you told us all about how you joined the Army and went
to Vietnam... You mean you slept in a van in Vietnam.

Notice how this poor mentally damaged bloke goes from A to B to J, as
a logical step. Id say he has been enjoying way..way too much Thai
Stick throughout his life.

By gorry you must be right. Gunner says something, someone repeats and
gunner gets all excited.

Funny, I didn't sleep in a van during my 18 months in the country....
in fact I don't even remember seeing a van the whole time I was there.

Funny...Ill bet he spent his 18 months either in some REMF Ranch or in
some office with air conditioning and a hooch momma.

Sorry, I was in the 14th Air Commando Wing and we supported the Puff
birds, the Psy Ops. people, the unmarked C-123's flown by "civilians"
and the helicopter Sgdn that furnished the birds that the President
said were not stationed in Thailand, as well as certain activities for
5th Special Forces and the RVN Air force.

See, the difference between you and I is that I did do it and I don't
have to tell lies about it while you didn't do it and think that
telling lies makes people think that you are a real hero.

It doesn't you know. It just demonstrates what a failure you are.
Never been nowhere, never done nothing.

That does sort of casts a certain amount of doubt about your military
career, doesn't it?

Maybe he means he slept in a van when he was a mercenary in Rhodesia
chortle

I actually met a S. African bloke who had been a mercenary. He never
mentioned "vans". But he never mentioned anyone named "Gunner" either
so maybe he hadn't been in Rhodesia :-)

I was in Thailand a couple times..and I never met anyone named John
B...so there probably arent any. In fact..I doubt there are any on the
planet. Probably just delirium tremens from drinking way too much Ba
mi Ba and mixing it with opium laced hash....
So John...how much does that **** cost you every week?

You were? Mind telling us where and when?

Was it before of after the fabled motorcycle ride when you exceeded
the speed of light down a dirt road? Or was that the world's speed
record? Or was it after you made the two lovingly described trips to
Vietnam... when you were a member of an organization that didn't exist
at the time you said you were fighting the Gooks? Or while you were a
"Law Enforcement Officer"? You even posted a picture of you in all
your glory... a skinny kid leaning on a car. No badge, no gun, just a
soppy grin.

Gunner

--
cheers,

John B.

--
Cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 9:55:17 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Ba
mi Ba

"Ba mui ba" is Vietnamese, not Thai. It means "33" (which was a BRAND), and
it's not liquor, but beer.

I spoke the language there while doing my tour.

Lloyd

Yeah. I remember 33. But that's a reach calling it beer, Lloyd.

Ive heard it called recycled heron ****..but ..Im not a drinker.
Though Crom knows Ive guzzled enough Nam Pe from a straw along side a
bunch of little killers, then dragged myself off to "pee" while
sticking my fingers down my throat so I could puke it up and stay
alert and sober.

Gunner, you got to stop lying "Nam Pe" is a Thai word that means
"iron" as opposed to steel.

I suppose you will claim that you learned it in Vietnam but "Nam" is
so obviously a Thai word that you'll have to think up a new lie to
cover up this one.

The word for water in Vietnamese is "nudc" Probably pronounced by an
ignorant foreigner as "nuk".

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Of course they were.... in their imagination :-)

That does sort of casts a certain amount of doubt about your military
career, doesn't it?

Maybe he means he slept in a van when he was a mercenary in Rhodesia
chortle

I actually met a S. African bloke who had been a mercenary. He never
mentioned "vans". But he never mentioned anyone named "Gunner" either
so maybe he hadn't been in Rhodesia :-)

I was in Thailand a couple times

No, you weren't.

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 20:55:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Ba
mi Ba

"Ba mui ba" is Vietnamese, not Thai. It means "33" (which was a BRAND), and
it's not liquor, but beer.

I spoke the language there while doing my tour.

Lloyd

And it was a very useful medicine if you were constipated :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

The word for water in Vietnamese is "nudc" Probably pronounced by an
ignorant foreigner as "nuk".

Sometimes "nuoc", as in Nuoc Mam or Nuoc Mam Chan.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. fired this volley in
:

And it was a very useful medicine if you were constipated :-)

Pretty much everything over there would fix that problem, if you didn't eat
a lot of it.

Our unit was encouraged to "live off the local economy" when we could, so I
ate local cuisine as often as possible... and after only about three weeks
in country, stopped getting the 'drizzles'. And I really got to liking the
stuff.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:04:24 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

The word for water in Vietnamese is "nudc" Probably pronounced by an
ignorant foreigner as "nuk".

Sometimes "nuoc", as in Nuoc Mam or Nuoc Mam Chan.

Lloyd

Very difficult trying to speak these foreign languages :-)

I believe that the official version is "Nuac Mam Pha", speaking of the
stuff that is put on the table and leaving out the tone markings.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:08:40 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John B. fired this volley in
:

And it was a very useful medicine if you were constipated :-)

Pretty much everything over there would fix that problem, if you didn't eat
a lot of it.

Our unit was encouraged to "live off the local economy" when we could, so I
ate local cuisine as often as possible... and after only about three weeks
in country, stopped getting the 'drizzles'. And I really got to liking the
stuff.

LLoyd

When I was there we had to take a Chloroquine-Primaquine tablet once a
week that usually screwed up your stomach for a few days. People used
to joke about taking the tablet which screwed up your stomach for 6
days so you had one day of bliss before you took the next one :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Close enough.. Du ma nhieu is "**** you very much" or alternately "go
**** yourself". Its a rather odd language and very tonal like most
asian languages. Which is one of the reasons most business in French
Indochina was done in...French.

Gunner