Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Help I broke my lathe

I broke the base for my tool rest on an old rockwell/delta/homecraft. I
had the local machine shop weld it, but broke it again. I've tried
e-bay and several other searches, but have not found a replacement. The
number on the cast iron base is ddl171. This lathe is 50 something age
wise and all the new tool rest bases appear to be quite different. Can
anyone give me some insight as to a solution or somewhere I can find a
replacement. I have considered having the machine shop mill a slot in
a thick metal slab and weld(tap for threads) on a support for the tool
rest shaft. Has anyone tried this?
MinnJim

Pictures below (I hope)

http://picasaweb.google.com/imaskeland/BrokenLathe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I believe you can use a banjo from another lathe . . . ie . . . Oneway, JEt
, etc . . just measure the width of the slot, width of the ways and you
should have it . . .

Take a tape to some buddy's house and start measuring, you will find a match
.. . .

Steve

"MinnJim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I broke the base for my tool rest on an old rockwell/delta/homecraft. I
had the local machine shop weld it, but broke it again. I've tried
e-bay and several other searches, but have not found a replacement. The
number on the cast iron base is ddl171. This lathe is 50 something age
wise and all the new tool rest bases appear to be quite different. Can
anyone give me some insight as to a solution or somewhere I can find a
replacement. I have considered having the machine shop mill a slot in
a thick metal slab and weld(tap for threads) on a support for the tool
rest shaft. Has anyone tried this?
MinnJim

Pictures below (I hope)

http://picasaweb.google.com/imaskeland/BrokenLathe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"MinnJim" wrote in news:1165374497.910782.130630@
16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

http://picasaweb.google.com/imas

Minn,
You really don't need an exact replacement for the piece (banjo), but a
replacement that will fit. Measure the distance between the ways and the
length of the banjo. You may be able to find one that will fit your lathe
even if it needs a bit of finagling or fettling to fit. Post again with the
dimensions and some may be able to help.
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Jim
here's a link to a delta banjo, if that is what you want.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=2

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

MinnJim wrote:
I broke the base for my tool rest on an old rockwell/delta/homecraft. I
had the local machine shop weld it, but broke it again. I've tried
e-bay and several other searches, but have not found a replacement. The
number on the cast iron base is ddl171. This lathe is 50 something age
wise and all the new tool rest bases appear to be quite different. Can
anyone give me some insight as to a solution or somewhere I can find a
replacement. I have considered having the machine shop mill a slot in
a thick metal slab and weld(tap for threads) on a support for the tool
rest shaft. Has anyone tried this?
MinnJim

Pictures below (I hope)

http://picasaweb.google.com/imaskeland/BrokenLathe

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi Jim
here's a link to a delta banjo, if that is what you want.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=2

The swing of the lathe is also a concern. Don't want a banjo that puts the
rest too high, so measure the height of yours and don't get anything that
will keep the rest higher . As you see, Delta's been doing the same
distances on the ways for a long time. While you're shopping, get a 6"
toolrest so you won't have the leverage required to crack the new casting if
you get another catch. It'll force you to keep near the post. I find it
the most-used of my rests on the outside of bowls, matching the diameter
without getting in the way.

Since you're already circling your way down the tailpiece into the black pit
of turning, might as well go here http://www.packardwoodworks.com/ and take
a look. Same price, within a buck, and a catalog to drool over a couple
times a year. "Tool porn," as my wife says. Call on the phone for your
order. They drawl sort of nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jim,

Maybe you are missing an opportunity here....

After you look at and price the Delta banjo, you might also price a new Jet
mini lathe. Is it move up time?

Old Guy
Hoping the Minnesota weather breaks so I can get some turning time

"MinnJim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I broke the base for my tool rest on an old rockwell/delta/homecraft. I
had the local machine shop weld it, but broke it again. I've tried
e-bay and several other searches, but have not found a replacement. The
number on the cast iron base is ddl171. This lathe is 50 something age
wise and all the new tool rest bases appear to be quite different. Can
anyone give me some insight as to a solution or somewhere I can find a
replacement. I have considered having the machine shop mill a slot in
a thick metal slab and weld(tap for threads) on a support for the tool
rest shaft. Has anyone tried this?
MinnJim

Pictures below (I hope)

http://picasaweb.google.com/imaskeland/BrokenLathe

WANTED/WTB: Lathe headstock, CNC lathe, small lathe, ... [email protected] Metalworking 4 May 27th 06 04:18 PM
Is my TS broke? RayV Woodworking 7 May 9th 06 02:49 AM
Chisels broke Tim Zimmerman Woodworking 4 March 8th 05 01:14 PM
My toilet broke Lady Veteran Home Ownership 2 December 17th 04 03:31 AM