Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Probably overkill ...

I really wanted 3/16" plate for this project , but all the local supplier
had was 1/4 and the price was right so ...
I've been fabricating some beam hangers for attaching the short beams for
the kitchen to the block wall of the cellar . They are made from an 8 x 12
plate on top with an 8 x 10 plate welded on to form an L . Top plate
attaches to the 2 x 8 bolted to the top of the block wall , vertical will
probably float but I may decide to use tapcons to secure it to the block .
The saddle for the beam is also made from cut pieces of plate , and all is
welded with 7018 or ER70S6 .023 wire . MIG is only on corners , 1/4" is max
for this little welder . The beams are doubled 2 x 10s with 1/2' ply between
, 8' long . They will run from the existing beams to the cellar wall .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/5/2016 12:30 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I really wanted 3/16" plate for this project , but all the local supplier
had was 1/4 and the price was right so ...
I've been fabricating some beam hangers for attaching the short beams for
the kitchen to the block wall of the cellar . They are made from an 8 x 12
plate on top with an 8 x 10 plate welded on to form an L . Top plate
attaches to the 2 x 8 bolted to the top of the block wall , vertical will
probably float but I may decide to use tapcons to secure it to the block .
The saddle for the beam is also made from cut pieces of plate , and all is
welded with 7018 or ER70S6 .023 wire . MIG is only on corners , 1/4" is max
for this little welder . The beams are doubled 2 x 10s with 1/2' ply between
, 8' long . They will run from the existing beams to the cellar wall .

"Probably"? Considering that an equivalent Simpson would be made from,
what?, 16ga ... yeah it's probably overkill.

Now ... about your building inspector: is he (she?) a nice guy, or a
prick? Or do you even have a building permit that would require an
inspection? No ... don't answer that.

A prick could say that you need an engineer's design for that - "show me
the design or take them out". 'Jus sayin'.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 9:56:11 AM UTC-5, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

Its not unusual for rural areas to even have or enforce regulations or "codes" as you may know them. If you remember that chemical explosion in West, Texas in 2013, that was in McLennan County which had not adopted fire or building codes (at that time). And enforcement of state law is weak (like in the Savannah, Georgia Imperial Sugar refinery explosion in 2008).
-- http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/so.../11/253079.htm
-- https://www.savannahbusinessjournal....gar-plant.html

Is this overkill? stryped[_3_] Metalworking 3 November 30th 09 04:55 PM
overkill? z Home Repair 4 October 4th 08 04:31 PM
Overkill??? JC[_2_] Home Repair 6 February 20th 08 01:51 PM
Wiring overkill? jimbob Home Repair 16 October 3rd 06 09:40 PM
Wiring overkill? mgarvie Home Repair 24 April 2nd 06 12:36 AM