Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Probably overkill ...

On 3/5/2016 12:30 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I really wanted 3/16" plate for this project , but all the local supplier
had was 1/4 and the price was right so ...
I've been fabricating some beam hangers for attaching the short beams for
the kitchen to the block wall of the cellar . They are made from an 8 x 12
plate on top with an 8 x 10 plate welded on to form an L . Top plate
attaches to the 2 x 8 bolted to the top of the block wall , vertical will
probably float but I may decide to use tapcons to secure it to the block .
The saddle for the beam is also made from cut pieces of plate , and all is
welded with 7018 or ER70S6 .023 wire . MIG is only on corners , 1/4" is max
for this little welder . The beams are doubled 2 x 10s with 1/2' ply between
, 8' long . They will run from the existing beams to the cellar wall .

"Probably"? Considering that an equivalent Simpson would be made from,
what?, 16ga ... yeah it's probably overkill.

Now ... about your building inspector: is he (she?) a nice guy, or a
prick? Or do you even have a building permit that would require an
inspection? No ... don't answer that.

A prick could say that you need an engineer's design for that - "show me
the design or take them out". 'Jus sayin'.

Bob