Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where can I buy 8x10" structural tube in Chicago

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 20:35:41 -0600, Ignoramus22251
wrote:

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Here is one site that lists 12" x 8" to 5/8" wall.

http://www.saginawpipe.com/square_rectangular_tube.htm

--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Here is one site that lists 12" x 8" to 5/8" wall.

http://www.saginawpipe.com/square_rectangular_tube.htm

The http://www.saginawpipe.com/rectangular_tubing_chart.htm
page at that site lists 10x8 with 5/8" wall. You might be
able to substitute it for 8x10 by rotating it 90 degrees.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22251" wrote in
message ...
I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

The key word is "fabricator".
http://www.yellowpages.com/chicago-il/steel-fabricators

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Any steel supplier can order you that. A steel supplier who services
building builders should have it in stock.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Here is one site that lists 12" x 8" to 5/8" wall.

http://www.saginawpipe.com/square_rectangular_tube.htm

The http://www.saginawpipe.com/rectangular_tubing_chart.htm
page at that site lists 10x8 with 5/8" wall. You might be able to
substitute it for 8x10 by rotating it 90 degrees.

That sounds like a pretty complicated operation, there -- don't you need
special fixtures to do that?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22251 wrote:
I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

I like Wexler & Sons. Very friendly and willing to deal with orders that
are seemingly not even worth their time. there's a scap pile and you can
sort of "shop" in the warehouse too.

http://www.wexlersteel.com/

The website is about all you'd expect from a steel yard- give them a call.
They've got a fab shop with no website, so they can get or make anything.

Central Steel might be OK too. I've chatted with them, but never dropped
by.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Here is one site that lists 12" x 8" to 5/8" wall.

http://www.saginawpipe.com/square_rectangular_tube.htm

The http://www.saginawpipe.com/rectangular_tubing_chart.htm
page at that site lists 10x8 with 5/8" wall. You might be
able to substitute it for 8x10 by rotating it 90 degrees.

This is too complicated for me!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2016-01-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus22251 wrote:
I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

I like Wexler & Sons. Very friendly and willing to deal with orders that
are seemingly not even worth their time. there's a scap pile and you can
sort of "shop" in the warehouse too.

http://www.wexlersteel.com/

The website is about all you'd expect from a steel yard- give them a call.
They've got a fab shop with no website, so they can get or make anything.

Central Steel might be OK too. I've chatted with them, but never dropped
by.

Awesome! Wexler does not cut, but they referred me to someone who does
cut and had a suitable piece. I will go there tomorrow.

Thank you!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22181 wrote:
On 2016-01-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus22251 wrote:
[...]

They do cut though rods, tubes and angles- even stuff the size you
mentioned. I've watched the HEM saw at work. Sheared plate comes from
another place called LPI, and they ship stuff back and forth daily. I'm
not clear on the connections, but it works every time.