Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Uses of "structural tube" with thick walls

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 14:39:37 -0800, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 10:19:47 -0600, Ignoramus19840
wrote:

As part of that lot of steel stock that I bought recently, there was a
big bundle of "structural tube", which is steel tubing 2-6 inches
diameter, with walls 1/2 to 1 inch thick.

I hae to admit that I have neer seen them used anywhere, other than in
airports. What are their uses, exactly?

Lots of places - For starters, any "Lally Columns" in the middle of
your basement to hold up the house above you are going to be in the
mid-range 1/2" wall range or thicker, with some matching serious beam
saddles.

I could use a few chunks of it for replacement fence posts holding up
the gate hinges - Make the car bounce off rather than bend the post.

In Chicago, the same thing for building a Snow Plow Proof mailbox post
and arm assembly. Especially useful if you've got a renegade plow
driver trying to snick the wood ones off on purpose as a sport...

Paint it wood brown so they can't tell, and you can hear the
"CRUNCH-PTANG!" and "SCREECH!" of the plow spinning the truck around
before snapping off instead...

They cheat and use Sched-40 Pipe and fill Crash Posts with concrete -
but if you're dead serious about stopping a car before it hits
something - like in front of a 2500 Gallon Propane Tank - that
structural tube will do it if you plant it in enough footing concrete.

My second question is, if I want to weld a tube to a plate, do I need
to bevel the tube for a proper joint?

Depends on how the forces load it - but for ultimate strength yes.

-- Bruce --

Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
might be just what he wants :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John B." wrote:

Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
might be just what he wants :-)

That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have some 5 or 6 inch pipe with 3/4 inch walls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 22:11:54 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"John B." wrote:

Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
might be just what he wants :-)

That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

That is approximately a 32 pounder. About 1450 Ft/Sec. velocity and a
224,000 grain bullet. I'll leave it to you to calculate muzzle energy.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"John B." wrote:

Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1"
walls
might be just what he wants :-)

That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

That is approximately a 32 pounder. About 1450 Ft/Sec. velocity and
224,000 grain bullet. I'll leave it to you to calculate muzzle
energy.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Pounders:
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/shottables.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"John B." wrote:

Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
might be just what he wants :-)

That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?"John B." wrote:
??
?? Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
?? might be just what he wants :-)
?
?
? That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to
thaw. Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 09 Feb 2013
17:24:37 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?
?"John B." wrote:
??
?? Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
?? might be just what he wants :-)
?
? That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to
thaw. Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)

Thank God, no! Can't stand peas thawed either. Ick.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:
?
?"John B." wrote:
??
?? Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
?? might be just what he wants :-)
?
? * That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

* * * * Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

* They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to
thaw. *Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)

Thank God, no ! * Can't stand peas thawed either. *Ick.

Pea soup with smoked turkey wings or ham is nearly the best thing !
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:
?
?"John B." wrote:
??
?? Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
?? might be just what he wants :-)
?
? * That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

* * * * Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

* They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to
thaw. *Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)

Thank God, no ! * Can't stand peas thawed either. *Ick.

Pea soup with smoked turkey wings or ham is nearly the best thing !

I've told this story before, but in shortened form:

A high-school buddy of mine had a knack for landing the ****tiest jobs
I'd ever heard of. He was a "Scum Scraper" at Bloomsburg Knitting
Mills -- I won't describe that one.

But he left that job for one that he thought would be better. He was
an "inspector" at a can-labelling plant, one that probably was built
100 years ago.

His job was to inspect incoming cans of peas on the conveyor, about
three stories high in a barn-like structure that was around 120 deg. F
in July, and to "disable" the ones that were bulged, before they got
to the labelling line.

"Disabling" meant poking a hole in top of the can with an ice pick.
Stinking green foam -- it smelled more like pig **** than peas --
would then spray all over his face. I assume it was pathogenic as well
as stinking. All the time he had that job I would not let him into my
car. I actually made him walk about two miles home once. g

The last time I talked to him, around 10 years ago, he still had not
eaten a pea, and swore he never would.

--
Ed Huntres