Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Uses of "structural tube" with thick walls

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 13:59:10 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
wrote:

On Feb 11, 1:56*am, pyotr filipivich wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 09 Feb 2013
17:24:37 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" ? on Wed, 06 Feb 2013
22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking *the following:
?
?"John B." wrote:
??
?? Call Steve, he's trying to build a cannon and 6" pipe with 1" walls
?? might be just what he wants :-)
?
? * That's just a medium sized pea shooter. ;-)

* * * * Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

* They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to
thaw. *Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)

Thank God, no ! * Can't stand peas thawed either. *Ick.

Pea soup with smoked turkey wings or ham is nearly the best thing !

I've told this story before, but in shortened form:

A high-school buddy of mine had a knack for landing the ****tiest jobs
I'd ever heard of. He was a "Scum Scraper" at Bloomsburg Knitting
Mills -- I won't describe that one.

But he left that job for one that he thought would be better. He was
an "inspector" at a can-labelling plant, one that probably was built
100 years ago.

His job was to inspect incoming cans of peas on the conveyor, about
three stories high in a barn-like structure that was around 120 deg. F
in July, and to "disable" the ones that were bulged, before they got
to the labelling line.

"Disabling" meant poking a hole in top of the can with an ice pick.
Stinking green foam -- it smelled more like pig **** than peas --
would then spray all over his face. I assume it was pathogenic as well
as stinking. All the time he had that job I would not let him into my
car. I actually made him walk about two miles home once. g

The last time I talked to him, around 10 years ago, he still had not
eaten a pea, and swore he never would.

--
Ed Huntres