Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default An extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt'
reach the pipes coming from the wall.

One is about 1/2" too short, and the other might possibly reach, but
it requires bending, and I'm afraid I'll kink it. Most of the tubing
is behind the sink bowl and even the part that isn't is hard to work
with because it's 18 inches or so into the cabinet.

What do people do in this situation?

I could use plain old 3/8" copper tubing and a compression fitting at
one end. The other end is the line from the faucet, which currently
has a ferrule and a nut on it, and is just waiting for something male
to attach to. But I don't think there is like that.

I also could flare the end if that would help but I don't see how it
would.

I've been to the store and good ole HDepot had lines, with IP at one
end, and a compression fitting at the other (although the label seemed
to say that it was compression at both ends.)

I also have a pair of lines I bought earlier when I had no idea what I
wanted (but they were 1 dollar a piece), with IP at both ends, 1/2 and
3/8 although the label says 1/2" IP at one end and 3/8" compression at
the other. Is there something wrong with my undrestanding, that even
though they are different brands, I keep seeing one end as IP even
though the labels on each call the end "comp".

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:18:29 -0500, mm
wrote:

I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt'
reach the pipes coming from the wall.

One is about 1/2" too short, and the other might possibly reach, but
it requires bending, and I'm afraid I'll kink it. Most of the tubing
is behind the sink bowl and even the part that isn't is hard to work
with because it's 18 inches or so into the cabinet.

What do people do in this situation?

I could use plain old 3/8" copper tubing and a compression fitting at
one end. The other end is the line from the faucet, which currently
has a ferrule and a nut on it, and is just waiting for something male
to attach to. But I don't think there is like that.

I just realized I could use a compression union, but that means 4 more
compression fittings under the sink. Isn't there a better way to do
this?

I saw a swaging tool for sale, that would enlarge one of the two tubes
so the other could fit inside it, and be soldered. Would that be
okay? A good idea? Hard to do? Copper tubing splits before it's
big enough? I'd enlarge the new piece of tubing and slide it over
the piece that is under the sink. Soldering with a torch will set
fire to the sink cabinet?

MM

I also could flare the end if that would help but I don't see how it
would.

I've been to the store and good ole HDepot had lines, with IP at one
end, and a compression fitting at the other (although the label seemed
to say that it was compression at both ends.)

I also have a pair of lines I bought earlier when I had no idea what I
wanted (but they were 1 dollar a piece), with IP at both ends, 1/2 and
3/8 although the label says 1/2" IP at one end and 3/8" compression at
the other. Is there something wrong with my undrestanding, that even
though they are different brands, I keep seeing one end as IP even
though the labels on each call the end "comp".

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I thought I've seen those braided hoses that has 3/8" compression at
both ends,one end male, one end female, basically an extension pipe.
That would work for you.
I don't think HD is going to have that. Most likely a plumbing supply
store.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[...]

Thanks. I'll try a plumbing store tomorrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The RIGHT way to do it is to extend the 1/2'" copper to the right
position so your 3/8" tubing fits properly

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 01:55:14 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt'
reach the pipes coming from the wall.

I thought I've seen those braided hoses that has 3/8" compression at
both ends,one end male, one end female, basically an extension pipe.
That would work for you.
I don't think HD is going to have that. Most likely a plumbing supply
store.

Thanks. I'll try a plumbing store tomorrow.

HD sells the braided hoses. They come with an assortment of type of
ends.
If your tube threads into the stops with a compression, they have that
end and they have the 1/2" NPT you see on the faucet. I would just
replace the whole thing.

By golly you're right. After I read this I checked again and I had
even bought the right hose, but didn't know it because I had trouble
at both ends.

Using one hand, I couldn't even screw the bottom end onto the pipe,
but this time I got it.

A) At the bottom end where it screws to the pipe coming from the wall,
with an NFT fitting, I need to use that white "teflon" tape, right?

B) At the top end where the faucet screws on to it, if the tubes get
much shorter they'll be behind the sink, so I'd rather not cut them
shorter. Is it ever possible to get the ferrule off so I can put on
another, closer to the end? Banging down on the nut with a wrench
hasn't worked.

Would a mini-tubing cutter be able to cut it off close enough to the
ferrule to leave only 1/2" of tube, so the hose will go on?

C) I probably will have to remove the faucet from the sink, won't I?

The other option is you can get 3/8" solder sleeves at any HVAC
supplier.

That might be a better idea? Wouldn't have to remove the sink and it
would leave me with lots of tube, which could be shortened again when
I remove the snik to replace the counter, etc..
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 16, 9:18*pm, mm wrote:
I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

No you don't.

snip

What do people do in this situation?

See below.

snip

I've been to the store and good ole HDepot had lines, with IP at one
end, and a compression fitting at the other (although the label seemed
to say that it was compression at both ends.) *

snip

You have the proper stuff now. Take the input lines off the faucet and
the fix is obvious.

Joe

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

1. Rip out the cabinets, toss them in the garbage and get cabinets
that are an inch lower.

2. Remove the cabinets and set them aside. Rip out that wall, and
replace all he plumbing from the water meter up to that sink using
pipes that are all one inch longer. Replace wall, reinstall cabinet.

3. Install the sink under the counter top inside the lower cabinet.
Of course you'll have to open the cabinet doors to wash dishes and
wash them on your knees.

4. Fill the sink with pails of water from the bathtub.

I'll look into these. They are more elaborate than Clare's
suggestion, but still. I think Joe's idea is good too, now that I've
looked more closely at the pipes.

5. Move to another house.

Not yet.

Thanks to all who wrote.

How much water in a copper tube? Harry Everhart Home Repair 59 April 18th 14 08:04 PM
cutting copper tube Arch Woodturning 7 February 25th 07 04:15 PM
36 inch Samsung TSF-3579 tube TV - Size and Weight of Picture Tube GMGJ Home Repair 15 November 10th 06 04:44 PM
"TUBE GUYS" - Found this Pocket tube Tester In the Rafters - Please comment Bobby Longsocks Electronics Repair 14 June 24th 04 08:03 PM