Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default An extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 01:55:14 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 01:27:48 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:06:14 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Feb 16, 10:42*pm, mm wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:18:29 -0500, mm
wrote:

I need an extension tube for 3/8" copper waterr tube

I took out my kitchen faucet and the tubes on the new one doesnt'
reach the pipes coming from the wall.

I thought I've seen those braided hoses that has 3/8" compression at
both ends,one end male, one end female, basically an extension pipe.
That would work for you.
I don't think HD is going to have that. Most likely a plumbing supply
store.

Thanks. I'll try a plumbing store tomorrow.

HD sells the braided hoses. They come with an assortment of type of
ends.
If your tube threads into the stops with a compression, they have that
end and they have the 1/2" NPT you see on the faucet. I would just
replace the whole thing.

By golly you're right. After I read this I checked again and I had
even bought the right hose, but didn't know it because I had trouble
at both ends.

Using one hand, I couldn't even screw the bottom end onto the pipe,
but this time I got it.

A) At the bottom end where it screws to the pipe coming from the wall,
with an NFT fitting, I need to use that white "teflon" tape, right?

B) At the top end where the faucet screws on to it, if the tubes get
much shorter they'll be behind the sink, so I'd rather not cut them
shorter. Is it ever possible to get the ferrule off so I can put on
another, closer to the end? Banging down on the nut with a wrench
hasn't worked.

Would a mini-tubing cutter be able to cut it off close enough to the
ferrule to leave only 1/2" of tube, so the hose will go on?

C) I probably will have to remove the faucet from the sink, won't I?

The other option is you can get 3/8" solder sleeves at any HVAC
supplier.

That might be a better idea? Wouldn't have to remove the sink and it
would leave me with lots of tube, which could be shortened again when
I remove the snik to replace the counter, etc..