Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 36 inch Samsung TSF-3579 tube TV - Size and Weight of Picture Tube

Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in
this 36 inch tube TV?

If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs,
I don't have to pay movers to do it.

I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take
a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover
so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be
able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a
100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GMGJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in
this 36 inch tube TV?

If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs,
I don't have to pay movers to do it.

I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take
a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover
so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be
able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a
100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

Troll? Maybe
My 34" HD TV weighs 185 pounds. Most is in the glass tube. What you
propose is idiotic to save a few bucks. If movers are coming anyway, it
would at $5 or $10 to the cost. If they drop it, they pay. If you drop
it, you cry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

120-200lb, but what you are thinking is dumb, the tube is 90% of the
weight. It wont be safer to move, it will be much less safe, but go
ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heck, just leave it for the next tenant and buy a new HDTV.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Don is offline

"GMGJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in
this 36 inch tube TV?

If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs,
I don't have to pay movers to do it.

I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take
a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover
so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be
able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a
100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

you could but you'd wished you haddent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Nov 2006 10:53:40 -0800, GMGJ wrote:

Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in
this 36 inch tube TV?

If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs,
I don't have to pay movers to do it.

I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take
a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover
so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be
able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a
100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

If you do this, make sure you videotape it and send it to America's
Funniest Home Videos. Put it on YouTube, also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bad idea you will almost certinally ruin your tv set.

picture tubes are very fragile and bump the neck brings a
explosion........

besides its full of fragile adjistments

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Probably in the neighbourhood of 150 pounds if I compare it with my large
screen Philips. Don't try to carry it, you may find, like many brands that
there is little in the way of hand-holds. I moved it up stairs by strapping
it to a 2 wheeled cart and had one person at the bottom to guide the wheels
up the stairs and one at the top to pull (or lower) it.

"GMGJ" wrote in message
ps.com...
Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in
this 36 inch tube TV?

If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs,
I don't have to pay movers to do it.

I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take
a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover
so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be
able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a
100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're either a troll or insane or an idiot. You're going to take a TV
*apart* ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:18:38 -0600, "Tim Fischer"
wrote:

Heck, just leave it for the next tenant and buy a new HDTV.

-Tim

I've done that with a refrigerator. It was the only thing I couldn't
move myself. I got a better refrigerator for that.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 22:38:40 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

bad idea you will almost certinally ruin your tv set.

picture tubes are very fragile and bump the neck brings a
explosion........

That's implosion ....

besides its full of fragile adjistments

I always thought it was full of electron guns and focusing elements....

Mostly, the tube is full of nothing.

Jeff

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep elctron guns and focusing screens....oh and a cathode heater in the
neck
I have never had to do any adjustments inside the tube....seems like it
would degas if you did that...The only adjustments are usually on the
chassis, unless you decide it would be fun to move the magnets around
on the yoke and try to get the tube converged again :P.

I wouldnt reccomend what the OP was proposing...but when I do it with
my arcade monitors I have a long plastic handled screwdriver with a
jumper wire hooked to it...this goes to ground. Slide the tip of the
screwdriver under the anode cup (may or may not be a pop), disconnect
the anode, disconnect the RGB and sync connectors, disconnect power,
disconnect yoke windings from chassis and degauss coil and remove the
neck board..that should just get the tube free.

Also,
I have ticked the neck off of a arcade picture tube and there was no
"Explosion", simply a loud continual hissing letting me know that I
ruined a picture tube beyond repair..

Man Jeff, some people have no idea what is in a tv even thought hey
think they want to , agreed?

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You're either a troll or insane or an idiot. You're going to take a TV
*apart* ?

You say that like they are mutually exclusive. I vote for all 3!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Also,
I have ticked the neck off of a arcade picture tube and there was no
"Explosion", simply a loud continual hissing letting me know that I
ruined a picture tube beyond repair..

Around 1952 my after school job was working for a radio and TV shop in
San Francisco owned by a guy named Bud Fiske. (So, how come I can pull
that guy's name up out of my memory so easily and I sometimes can't
remember to zip my fly up 5 seconds after emptying my bladder?)

Anyway, those were the days of big console TV sets in folk's living
rooms, and if they needed more fixing than could be accomplished by my
replacing some weak or dead vacuum tubes in situ, I'd have to pull the
chassis, which often had the CRT mounted to it, and schlep the whole
thing to the shop in my car.

On one occassion I managed to lose my grip on a 19" chassis/CRT and
watch in horror as it tumbled all the way down a flight of stairs with
not unexpected results.

Another time I was carrying a big CRT face down on the back seat of my
car (No seat belts in cars back then to tie it down with.) and had to
stop short. The tube tipped off the seat, its neck hit the front
seatback and bust off with a much bigger sound than just a "hiss".

Why I wasn't fired I'll never know. There are angels who look after teen
agers most of the time....I learned to be more careful in later years.

Thanks for the mammaries....

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia