Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where can I buy 8x10" structural tube in Chicago

On 2016-01-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus22251 wrote:
I am not looking for a great deal. I just need to get it for whatever
is the market price.

I need a structural rectangular tube, about 4 feet of it, dimensions
8x10 inches in cross section by 0.625" to 3/4" thick.

Does anyone know any steel supplies who procure that sort of stuff.

Thanks

I like Wexler & Sons. Very friendly and willing to deal with orders that
are seemingly not even worth their time. there's a scap pile and you can
sort of "shop" in the warehouse too.

http://www.wexlersteel.com/

The website is about all you'd expect from a steel yard- give them a call.
They've got a fab shop with no website, so they can get or make anything.

Central Steel might be OK too. I've chatted with them, but never dropped
by.

Awesome! Wexler does not cut, but they referred me to someone who does
cut and had a suitable piece. I will go there tomorrow.

They do cut though rods, tubes and angles- even stuff the size you
mentioned. I've watched the HEM saw at work. Sheared plate comes from
another place called LPI, and they ship stuff back and forth daily. I'm
not clear on the connections, but it works every time.