Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A grinder for cutting deeper than a rotary tool?

I suppose that's a good use for a grinder, when a rotary tool cutoff wheel
won't make it deep enough through the material.

What should I look for, for cutting through tool steel like sockets are
made from?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I need it now, so just ordered a $30 angle grinder and some cutoff
wheels...

PORTER-CABLE PC60TAG 6.0-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder
DEWALT DW8061B5 4-Inch by 0.045-Inch Metal and Stainless Cutting Wheel

Hopefully that will do. Will upgrade later.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 5:41:07 PM UTC-8, John Doe wrote:
I suppose that's a good use for a grinder, when a rotary tool cutoff wheel
won't make it deep enough through the material.

...for cutting through tool steel

Depending on the cut desired, EDM or ultrasonic (impact grinding)
solutions can handle most any hardness of material. If you
just want a slice, there are metal cutting abrasive blades for
table saws or Skilsaws (beware sparks, though).

And in a pinch, people have used copper disks and a slurry of
abrasive/glycerine/water to do the same sort of work. It's
not as fast, though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I suppose that's a good use for a grinder, when a rotary tool cutoff
wheel won't make it deep enough through the material.

...for cutting through tool steel

Depending on the cut desired, EDM or ultrasonic (impact grinding)
solutions can handle most any hardness of material. If you just want
a slice, there are metal cutting abrasive blades for table saws or
Skilsaws (beware sparks, though).

I just picked up 1/8" and .045" thick disks. The thin disk is only 4
inches diameter, but I'm going to try sticking it on my miter saw. If it
works, it will be a nice solution. Besides providing a sturdy chopping
motion, the cheap miter saw allows for beveling and angling. I would
just need to spin the material as usual and devise a way to move the
cutting disc slowly through the material. Maybe using a 5/16 inch
threaded rod with a wingnut, attached to the handle.

The miter saw is only 5500 RPM, but that should be enough for now.
Except for the lack of blazing speed, it is much better than an angle
grinder for the task of slicing halfway through a 1 1/4 inch socket. I
will look at other chop saws later, like maybe another inexpensive
miter saw that is faster than 5500 RPM. But this should do for now.

And in a pinch, people have used copper disks and a slurry of
abrasive/glycerine/water to do the same sort of work. It's not as
fast, though.

Craftsman Die grinder died. Now, no internal tool post grinder. Pete S Metalworking 15 March 26th 16 08:15 PM
rotary tool Alang UK diy 24 February 16th 10 03:14 PM
Rotary tool bit for cutting crosswise through 1/16" - 1/8" thick aluminum? John Doe Metalworking 2 October 2nd 08 06:22 PM
Rotary Zip tool MiamiCuse Home Repair 9 February 26th 08 08:47 PM
FA ending soon Dumore compound grinder or tool post grinder Richard W. Metalworking 0 September 2nd 05 01:23 AM