Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotary Zip tool

Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and Dremel?
Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front to
control the cutting depth?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and
Dremel? Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front
to control the cutting depth?

MC

I would say the zip tool is like a big Dremel. The Dremel is made to be
held in one hand and do more percision work where the zip tool is made to do
larger jobs.
Maybe like an artist brush compaired to a house paint brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and
Dremel? Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front
to control the cutting depth?

MC

Comparing the RotoZip brand to a Dremel is like comparing a BMW to a Yugo.

They are respectively rotary tools and cars. The class comparisons is about
the same.

A lot more power and much better made sums it up. My Rotozip is almost 20
years old and going strong.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and Dremel?
Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front to
control the cutting depth?

MC

Rotary zip tool = Chain saw

Dremel = Jig saw

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and
Dremel? Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front
to control the cutting depth?

MC

From what I see, Dremel is a tool that you can use with a lot of attachments
to do various jobs. RotoZip is a tool that uses a side cutting bit to rout
around boxes when sheetrocking. Rotozip has a lot of more uses, and
accessories, but in my opinion, it is designed to be held perpendicular to
the work, and the side of the bit does the cutting. With a Dremel, the
cutting or polishing or contact with the work is at more angles, and a lot
of Dremels have to purposely use an attachment to make the bit perpendicular
to the work. The RotoZip has a base, like a router that runs along the
work. The bit is then set to the correct depth for whatever is being cut,
mostly sheetrock.

I have seen both RotoZips and Dremels. I personally have a Foredom, which
is a shaft drive tool similar to some Dremels. Different things for
different jobs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and Dremel?
Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front to
control the cutting depth?

MC

The RotoZip, as well as the other branded rotary cutout saws (Dewalt,
etc.) are significantly beefier and more powerful than a Dremel. A
Dremel is a hobby tool for light arts and crafts projects, while the
rotary cutout tools are construction tools for tasks like cutting
openings in drywall, cement board, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and Dremel?
Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front to
control the cutting depth?

MC

The RotoZip, as well as the other branded rotary cutout saws (Dewalt,
etc.) are significantly beefier and more powerful than a Dremel. A
Dremel is a hobby tool for light arts and crafts projects, while the
rotary cutout tools are construction tools for tasks like cutting
openings in drywall, cement board, etc.

Just to add to all of the answers, I
have one of the new Dremel Lithium Ion
cordless
tools. Even though it has somewhat less
power than my plug-in Dremel, I still will
use a Roto-Zip bit in it to cut drywall
..... works great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
Dremel will take a rotozip bit? Isn't the rotozip bit quite a bit thicker?

No, actually the RotoZip standard bit is
1/8" (I think) which is the largest
Dremel collet.

Pete C. wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
Fundamentally, what is the difference between a rotary zip tool and
Dremel?
Is it just a bit more power and it has a plastic ring in the front to
control the cutting depth?

MC
The RotoZip, as well as the other branded rotary cutout saws (Dewalt,
etc.) are significantly beefier and more powerful than a Dremel. A
Dremel is a hobby tool for light arts and crafts projects, while the
rotary cutout tools are construction tools for tasks like cutting
openings in drywall, cement board, etc.

Just to add to all of the answers, I have one of the new Dremel Lithium
Ion cordless
tools. Even though it has somewhat less power than my plug-in Dremel, I
still will
use a Roto-Zip bit in it to cut drywall .... works great!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco writes:

MiamiCuse wrote:
Dremel will take a rotozip bit? Isn't the rotozip bit quite a bit thicker?

No, actually the RotoZip standard bit is
1/8" (I think) which is the largest
Dremel collet.

The RotoZip seems to come with both 1/8" and 1/4" collets. The
drywall-cutting spiral bits are 1/8", so they'll fit a Dremel. Some of
the larger bits are 1/4" and they will not.

Dave

Rotary tool collet nut [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 26th 07 06:36 AM
Craftsman Rotary Tool Locutus Woodworking 14 February 11th 06 08:24 PM
dremel rotary tool J.Lef Home Repair 4 September 17th 05 02:04 AM
Non-Dremel rotary tool. beee Woodworking 9 March 23rd 05 05:21 PM
Rotary Tool Question Scott Woodworking 2 December 31st 04 04:11 AM