Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rotary tool

Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...se-power-tools

I don't really want to spend the money for dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang formulated on Sunday :
Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...se-power-tools

I don't really want to spend the money for dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Reasonably quality, but you can get the very same item much cheaper
from other places. Watch Lidl /Aldi special offers and maybe Maplin.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 14:35, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Alang formulated on Sunday :

Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-40pce-rotary-...

I don't really want to spend the money for *dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Reasonably quality, but you can get the very same item much cheaper
from other places. Watch Lidl /Aldi special offers and maybe Maplin.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I don't know anything about this one, but I do query the Lidl/Aldi
possibility and anything I've bought from Maplin has always been way
over the top pricewise.

As far as L & A are concerned I have been looking for such a machine
for several years and keep tabs each week on what is coming up - and
nothing like this has come up, unless it did so when I was on brief
holidays.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham explained :
As far as L & A are concerned I have been looking for such a machine
for several years and keep tabs each week on what is coming up - and
nothing like this has come up, unless it did so when I was on brief
holidays.

A was where I got mine and at around half the Machinemart price. Maplin
had them on sale recently (Christmas?)at a roughly similar special
offer price.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Alang formulated on Sunday :
Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...se-power-tools

I don't really want to spend the money for dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Reasonably quality, but you can get the very same item much cheaper
from other places. Watch Lidl /Aldi special offers and maybe Maplin.

Most of the ones I've seen there don't include a stand and flexible drive.
Although I'm not sure how often I'd use either. I have a basic low voltage
mains supplied one bought from B&Q years ago and haven't wanted a stand or
flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 15:22:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Alang formulated on Sunday :
Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...se-power-tools

I don't really want to spend the money for dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Reasonably quality, but you can get the very same item much cheaper
from other places. Watch Lidl /Aldi special offers and maybe Maplin.

I'm in both stores at least a couple of times a month and never seen
anything like this for sale

Most of the ones I've seen there don't include a stand and flexible drive.
Although I'm not sure how often I'd use either. I have a basic low voltage
mains supplied one bought from B&Q years ago and haven't wanted a stand or
flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

I have a low voltage one from RS many years ago but it also means low
power. I'm looking at 140W or so. Really could do with a mini angle
grinder. As long as it will slice the ends off steel screws it should
be okay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Alang formulated on Sunday :
Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...se-power-tools

I don't really want to spend the money for dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Reasonably quality, but you can get the very same item much cheaper
from other places. Watch Lidl /Aldi special offers and maybe Maplin.

Most of the ones I've seen there don't include a stand and flexible
drive. Although I'm not sure how often I'd use either. I have a basic
low voltage mains supplied one bought from B&Q years ago and haven't
wanted a stand or flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

My Dremel is sitting in a box in the corner of the garage, hasn't been used
for years. As much use as a chocolate teapot.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

I don't know anything about this one, but I do query the Lidl/Aldi
possibility and anything I've bought from Maplin has always been way
over the top pricewise.

As far as L & A are concerned I have been looking for such a machine
for several years and keep tabs each week on what is coming up - and
nothing like this has come up, unless it did so when I was on brief
holidays.

That MM one is identical (apart from body colour), even has the same
case and parts, to the Aldi one I bought last year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

My Dremel is sitting in a box in the corner of the garage, hasn't been used
for years. As much use as a chocolate teapot.

Mine sat unused for months after I bought it, but it's been in use a few
times over the past few weeks. Turns out it wasn't a waste of money
after all...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 06:41:03 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

On 7 Feb, 14:35, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Alang formulated on Sunday :

[...]

I have one of these that I bought from Aldi about 3 or 4 years ago -
it appears identical in every respect. I also have a Dremel.

I used the one from Aldi a couple of times, and then bought the
Dremel. Ever since, I have only used the Dremel.

I have a smaller Hobbycraft drill for very small jobs, but that hardly
ever gets used. The Dremel does all I need; it is powerful, handles
well and is reliable. You don't always get what you pay for, but I
feel that I did with the Dremel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 4:18 pm, Alang wrote:

I'm in both stores at least a couple of times a month and never seen
anything like this for sale

Aldi:

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4420.htm

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-12-19-11-36

Lidl:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8895/lidlmultitool.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 4:18 pm, Alang wrote:

I'm in both stores at least a couple of times a month and never seen
anything like this for sale

Aldi:

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_4420.htm

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-12-19-11-36

I wasn't really looking for one in 2007 or 2008 but if you can tell me
where I can get a lift in a time machine I'll certainly give it a go

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang laid this down on his screen :
I wasn't really looking for one in 2007 or 2008 but if you can tell me
where I can get a lift in a time machine I'll certainly give it a go

If you subscribe to Aldi and Lidl's advanced notice of special offers
email service, you will know what is coming up in advance. Lidl's
emails and there web site are a bit slow to load here though.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 19:06:00 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Alang laid this down on his screen :
I wasn't really looking for one in 2007 or 2008 but if you can tell me
where I can get a lift in a time machine I'll certainly give it a go

If you subscribe to Aldi and Lidl's advanced notice of special offers
email service, you will know what is coming up in advance. Lidl's
emails and there web site are a bit slow to load here though.

Not everything is available in every shop.
As I discovered with the Lidl Satellite system for 29.99
Not even in the next town
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 7:22*pm, Alang wrote:

Not everything is available in every shop.
As I discovered with the Lidl Satellite system for 29.99
Not even in the next town

If you enter your postcode on the Lidl website, it shows you what's
available at your local store.

Aldi has the same stuff in all stores.

As for the 2007/2008 links, the same stuff tends to come round at the
same time of year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alang wrote:
Most of the ones I've seen there don't include a stand and flexible
drive. Although I'm not sure how often I'd use either. I have a basic
low voltage mains supplied one bought from B&Q years ago and haven't
wanted a stand or flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

I have a low voltage one from RS many years ago but it also means low
power. I'm looking at 140W or so. Really could do with a mini angle
grinder. As long as it will slice the ends off steel screws it should be
okay.

My low voltage (via a transformer) B&Q cheapie has no problems cutting
through even hardened steel like self tappers. Provided you set the speed
high enough. I'd think a 140W one would be very much larger than the norm
for these things therefore reducing its usefulness. If size isn't a
problem there are larger mains powered similar devices - or just use a
mains drill.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Most of the ones I've seen there don't include a stand and flexible
drive. Although I'm not sure how often I'd use either. I have a basic
low voltage mains supplied one bought from B&Q years ago and haven't
wanted a stand or flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

My Dremel is sitting in a box in the corner of the garage, hasn't been
used for years. As much use as a chocolate teapot.

My findings too - apart from occasional use. Found it essential for
cutting a copper pipe in a corner to put a T in - it was plastered in at
top and bottom. Managed to make a neat job although got through several
cutoff discs. But worth it to me on that occasion. No clearance to use
even the smallest pipe cutter.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I have a smaller Hobbycraft drill for very small jobs, but that hardly
ever gets used. The Dremel does all I need; it is powerful, handles
well and is reliable. You don't always get what you pay for, but I
feel that I did with the Dremel.

I've had a Ryobi rechargeable one for ages. Came out before the Dremel one.
Super for hobby stuff. And uses AA size rechargeables so cheap to replace.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If you subscribe to Aldi and Lidl's advanced notice of special offers
email service, you will know what is coming up in advance. Lidl's
emails and there web site are a bit slow to load here though.

Won't load at all on this browser now. Used to up until a few months ago.
No apparent changes to their site - so must just be 'progress' ;-)

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:14:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bruce wrote:
I have a smaller Hobbycraft drill for very small jobs, but that hardly
ever gets used. The Dremel does all I need; it is powerful, handles
well and is reliable. You don't always get what you pay for, but I
feel that I did with the Dremel.

I've had a Ryobi rechargeable one for ages. Came out before the Dremel one.
Super for hobby stuff. And uses AA size rechargeables so cheap to replace.

A friend has one. They are very good. There was/is a Dremel
rechargeable but it is nowhere near as good.

I bought my first Dremel in the USA so it was 120V. I used it here
with a step down transformer and it worked fine. However, lugging the
transformer was a chore. It also meant that the Dremel wasn't as
portable as it should be, so I bought a 230V version which is
completely satisfactory.

I gave the 120V version to my father in law (who lives in a country
with 120V mains supply) and he is delighted with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 15:22, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

SNIPPED

a stand or
flex drive for that. But then I hardly ever use it.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Stand and flexi drive actually what make it most useful, gives you a
light weight narrow handpiece to work with, have an Aldi one clamped
to side of bench, its great for PCB and connector clean up with a
brush on it and for cutting open glued together items with a disc.

Can sit unused for weeks but when it is in use it justifies its
space :-)

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
Stand and flexi drive actually what make it most useful, gives you a
light weight narrow handpiece to work with, have an Aldi one clamped
to side of bench, its great for PCB and connector clean up with a
brush on it and for cutting open glued together items with a disc.

Use my cordless Ryobi for this. Much easier to control than a flexible
drive, which of course ain't flexible enough.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If you subscribe to Aldi and Lidl's advanced notice of special offers
email service, you will know what is coming up in advance. Lidl's
emails and there web site are a bit slow to load here though.

Won't load at all on this browser now. Used to up until a few months ago.
No apparent changes to their site - so must just be 'progress' ;-)

On my 3G service, Aldi wouldn't load at all, giving a page saying 'Not
Supported Method' which turned out to be a glitch in their coding which
happened to knock out something in the transfer onwards of Vodafone -
from what I could make out.
No problem with that since I changed providers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 14:04, Alang wrote:
Any comments on the machine mart rotary tool?http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-40pce-rotary-...

I don't really want to spend the money for *dremel as it is only for
occasional use mostly in parting stainless steel screws up to O BA
(6mm) in size.

Lidl, subject to area,have rotary tool with flexi on offer Thursday
18th 12.99 acessories pack 2.99.

Cheers
Aadm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For completeness Aldi this Thursday 12.99/2.99

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...?WT.z_src=main

Cheers
Adam

rotary tool parts [email protected] Metalworking 2 September 26th 08 02:54 AM
Rotary Zip tool MiamiCuse Home Repair 9 February 26th 08 08:47 PM
Rotary tool collet nut [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 26th 07 06:36 AM
Non-Dremel rotary tool. beee Woodworking 9 March 23rd 05 05:21 PM
Rotary Tool Question Scott Woodworking 2 December 31st 04 04:11 AM