Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Add-on to make accurate cuts with a rotary tool?

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 2:34:56 PM UTC-7, slow eddy failed like he always does:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 2:33:45 PM UTC-7, slow eddy lied:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 2:39:33 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud lied and failed. Uncle Loud ain't real bright but he knows I'm destroying slow eddy and that he's my bitch. Uncle Loud hates that but slow eddy is too hooked to stop. :)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:11:22 PM UTC-7, slow eddy admitted I own his ass and tried to lie his way out of it:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:39:30 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:09:51 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-7, slow eddy the fraud,
lied:

...but his float bowl holds enough to keep him coughing along for a
while...

Is this just a game, Ed? I mean, you know he's a no-account, and the
only machine shops he's ever been in, he's been thrown out of bodily!

He has no other occupation except cruising the internet and abusing
people who either hobby in, or actually make a living doing machining,
while all his machining experiences (if he ever had any at all) were
decades in the past, before he started physically abusing women and
getting thrown out of businesses!

Is it really worth it? Or is is just for fun? Pitiful is pitiful, and
Little silly Jonny Bonkers is about as pitiful as a human can get and
still draw breath!

LLoyd

Yo, LLoyd, you will never guess who just gave me a phone call. He
wanted to do something with my balls -- either cut them off or suck
them, I couldn't tell. I was laughing too hard. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:52:47 PM UTC-7, slow eddy has now gone completely over the deep end. I knew it was coming and I'm loving it! :)

Ever notice liars like slow eddy and Uncle Loud keep getting caught in their own lies?

Ever notice neither one can name a machining job shop that I was fired from?

For the last year Uncle Loud claimed I never worked in a machining job shop.

I love driving liars and frauds out of their minds. It's so easy to do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:03:08 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:52:47 PM UTC-7, slow eddy has now gone completely over the deep end. I knew it was coming and I'm loving it! :)

What are you talking about now, Bonkers? Do you know who called me?
d8-)

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 4:22:16 PM UTC-7, slow eddy, the liar and fraud, continues to show just how far I've pushed him over the deep end.

Anyone ever look at slow eddies lack or endorsements on LinkedIn? It's beyond pathetic.

slow eddy and Uncle Loud claim all these people (many recognized to be at the top of their field) are lying. :)

http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Joe...tml?sort=3&o=0

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-7, slow eddy the fraud, lied:

...but his float bowl holds enough to keep him coughing along for a
while...

Time for a shot of ether - either put him totally out of blow his
head gasket (or crack his head)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 4:51:27 PM UTC-7, Clare wrote:

Time for a shot of ether - either put him totally out of blow his
head gasket (or crack his head)

You blew your head gasket a long time ago, Clare. The union made sure you did.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 5:09:26 PM UTC-7, slow eddy finally found something he's actually an expert in... blowing:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

I think he just blew his own. d8-)

Heh! He's been blowing his own dick for so long, he doesn't know what real
sex is! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 5:53:45 PM UTC-7, Uncle Loud got on his knees and did what he does best:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/photostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/photostream

Going to try it now.

When making symmetrical cuts in cylindrical objects...

The good thing about holding a rotary tool by hand is that the material
can be spun and you can begin the cut at the correct angle according to
the material's spinning axis. The problem is holding the rotary tool
steady and keeping it at that exact angle throughout the cut. That problem
is amplified the deeper you cut into the material.

Hopefully, the only problem with a miter saw styled rotary tool holder is
setting it up so that it attacks the spinning material at the correct
angle. Will see.

I wrote:

I need to slice a piece off of a 1 1/4 inch socket. Also need to cut a
slot into that socket.

Sure would be nice to have a rotary tool add-on...

1. That holds the rotary tool stationary.

2. Slowly and steadily moves or spins the work into the rotary tool
cut off wheel (or other attachment).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No surprise. Superclean thin and easy cut. Apparently the only trick
will be lining up the material.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:30:41 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

For the OP a drill press or a mill with slitting saw would work. Clamp the
socket in a vise on the table slide it around (drill press) or turn the
handles (mill). On a cheap drill press that you don't care about getting a
little grit in you could use an abbrassive blade to do the job.

And clamping some scraps of wood or metal to the table to act as a fence to guide the sliding will help the accuracy a lot.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

For the OP a drill press or a mill with slitting saw would work.
Clamp the socket in a vise on the table slide it around (drill press)
or turn the handles (mill). On a cheap drill press that you don't
care about getting a little grit in you could use an abbrassive blade
to do the job.

And clamping some scraps of wood or metal to the table to act as a
fence to guide the sliding will help the accuracy a lot.

No idea what you all are talking about. Perhaps you could supply some
pictures or video?

I just need to make accurate cuts and slots with a rotary tool. I cannot
use an extremely thick abrasive cutoff wheel to do the things that a
rotary tool can do.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

John Doe wrote:

As explained in a follow-up post, a simple cutoff saw isn't the
answer.

The problem is we don't know what you have tool wise or are willing to
buy...

Even if I had thousands to spend, I doubt that would satisfy. A metal
lathe would be nice, but then I need to do things that an expensive
metal lathe cannot even do, at least not without buying thousands more
worth of accessories.

When I want to do something like your request I go through the
possibilities in my head based on the tools I have access to. I also
consider things that I could purchase and would stay with my comfort
zone budget wise.

You could put your item in drill and pretend the drill was a lathe.
Lots of slop but it would work for low precision stuff. Or mount your
rotary tool to a board and then push that assembly with the miter
block on your table saw.

Dremel sells a little drill press adapter for their rotary tools:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...spx?pid=220-01

Or maybe the shaper/router table:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachme...l.aspx?pid=231

You forgot the miter saw adapter...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/photostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...in/photostream

To turn the workpiece, at first I might use a spare 1/2 inch chuck
cordless drill. The material will be perfectly centered on a rod and
clamped so that it's at a right angle to the rotary tool
chopping/slotting motion. I don't know anything about lathe chucks, but
later maybe a small light duty and inexpensive lathe chuck could be
stuck on the end of a rod that goes through two or three bearings to
keep it spinning straight, and the rod will be turned on the other side
by a drill. Anything that spins right and holds material of up to about
2 inches in diameter might do.

Turns out, making a rotary tool cutting table adapter is super easy. I
went through 80% of the exercise of making one until I realized that
heat was going to be an issue when cutting through a large metal socket.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 7:13:57 PM UTC-5, John Doe wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

For the OP a drill press or a mill with slitting saw would work.
Clamp the socket in a vise on the table slide it around (drill press)
or turn the handles (mill). On a cheap drill press that you don't
care about getting a little grit in you could use an abbrassive blade
to do the job.

And clamping some scraps of wood or metal to the table to act as a
fence to guide the sliding will help the accuracy a lot.

No idea what you all are talking about. Perhaps you could supply some
pictures or video?

I just need to make accurate cuts and slots with a rotary tool. I cannot
use an extremely thick abrasive cutoff wheel to do the things that a
rotary tool can do.

Well, imagine this:
1) clamp the rotary tool to a hunk of 2x4
2) clamp the workpiece to a second hunk of 2x4
3) set both 2x4s on a sheet of plywood, shimming as needed to get the rotary tool's cutter at the height where you want to cut
4) screw the 2x4 with the rotary tool to the plywood. Now, moving the other 2x4 will cut into the workpiece along a line.
5) you can control the depth of the cut (and keep it parallel to the axis of the workpiece) by screwing a fence to the plywood that will restrict the motion of the workpiece to the depth and direction you want.
6) If you want to cut around the workpiece (and I think you do), instead of a 2x4, you can whack together a v-block out of 1x1 scraps screwed to a 1x4 or something like that. Add a stop to the v-block to locate the workpiece and you're in business.

A) All of the dimensions are for example only
B) this sort of fixturing is pretty common in setting up router cuts (wood router). Watch this, and I think you'll get the general idea:
https://youtu.be/Uc8nW_sE_40

HTH,

JPB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://www.flickr.com/photos/275322...n/photostream/
(to be deleted if and when the sprocket holder is complete)

That cut was made with one regular size heavy duty cut off wheel. And
there's still a lot left on the wheel. Took a while, but it was done
outside at night and was kind of cool turning off my headlamp to watch
the sparks fly without worrying about the location of the cut.

Now I'm going to slice off about 1/2 inch of that 1 1/4 inch socket. The
cut will be about 12 mm deep and thin as a cut off wheel. See if the
rotary tool miter saw jig can do it in one cut off wheel without
shattering wheels. No way I could do that by hand. It could be done with
a larger cut off tool since the cut off part of the socket will be
discarded.

Lining up the rotary tool so that the cut off wheel is in line with the
cut is a challenge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I got halfway through and the NiCad drill battery ran out. In order to
change the battery, things must be repositioned and realigned. But this
time the battery will be very well charged.

This metal is hard, but so far the cut is thin and about 1/4 inch deep.
Have used very little of the cut off wheel. I don't know how, but hopefully
that is a benefit of using the rotary tool holder.

Using my caliper... Looks like the cut cannot be completed with the rotary
tool. The large "EZ" cut off disk isn't going to make it all away through
the metal. I guess it's time to buy a grinder.

Accurate 45% cuts: sal Woodworking 27 September 9th 08 10:48 AM
Beginner - making accurate 90 degree cuts by hand [email protected] Woodworking 21 September 2nd 07 10:39 AM
How to make more accurate/precise machines from less accurate ones? Cliff Metalworking 3 December 17th 05 11:15 PM
"Best" saw for accurate x-cuts and miters Jay Pique Woodworking 5 March 5th 04 12:31 PM
Accurate cross cuts Steve Radoci Woodworking 34 August 27th 03 01:05 AM