Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Handheld Rechargeable Spotlight recommendation

Over ten years ago, I bought a spotlight and charger at a yard sale.
No brand or manufacturer info inside or out. I used it mostly to check
out desturbances among the livestock; dogs and coyotes. Once for a
transformer lightening strike and once for an automobile accident up
on the highway. It has died.

There seems ato be no standard rating system for light output or
range. Candelas, candlepower, lumens, watts? LED or HID?

I need something that will reach out there. I was surprised to find
price range up to $2000. Yep, that is two thousand dollars. I would
like a recommendation up to $125. Please give your reasons. TIA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:55:29 -0500, wrote:

Over ten years ago, I bought a spotlight and charger at a yard sale.
No brand or manufacturer info inside or out. I used it mostly to check
out desturbances among the livestock; dogs and coyotes. Once for a
transformer lightening strike and once for an automobile accident up
on the highway. It has died.

There seems ato be no standard rating system for light output or
range. Candelas, candlepower, lumens, watts? LED or HID?

Lumens is the proper standard, but people use Searz Lumens, too, so be
careful. g Stick with LED for longevity and efficiency, as well as
lower cost. "I just love LEDs." he gushed.

I need something that will reach out there. I was surprised to find
price range up to $2000. Yep, that is two thousand dollars. I would
like a recommendation up to $125. Please give your reasons. TIA

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It
uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a
CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in
complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like
daylight. Just amazing. I paid $2 for a headlight with a single T6
in it, too. Great! I really appreciate the zoom mode, giving me the
pattern I need when I need it. YMMV

Several mfgrs make 3, 5, and 7x T6 bulb lights for less than $125, so
check out eBay.

Here's one for a penny. (not for long)
http://tinyurl.com/nn85zkg
Note the zoom and 5 modes with the barrel shaped lens cover. These are
the really bright ones. Others say T6 but ship Q5 bulbs which are 1/4
the power. Caveat Emptor.

T6 multi: http://tinyurl.com/nogdb5l 3 LEDs headlamp 6kLM, $1.1

multi-T6 model: http://tinyurl.com/q6y4uug 7 LEDs, 10kLM, $19

18650s and chargers go for as little as a buck apiece. These cheap
18650s outlast the alkalines in triple AAA holders.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Over ten years ago, I bought a spotlight and charger at a yard sale.
No brand or manufacturer info inside or out. I used it mostly to check
out desturbances among the livestock; dogs and coyotes. Once for a
transformer lightening strike and once for an automobile accident up
on the highway. It has died.

There seems ato be no standard rating system for light output or
range. Candelas, candlepower, lumens, watts? LED or HID?

I need something that will reach out there. I was surprised to find
price range up to $2000. Yep, that is two thousand dollars. I would
like a recommendation up to $125. Please give your reasons. TIA

Modern (quality) LED headlamps rock. I do lots of window shopping. When I
started shopping for one, I got a very good feeling more intense than ever
that it was something I really needed. I ended up buying a Fenix HL55 from
the official website for $10 off. You will need at least two 18650
batteries and at least a $6 USB charger (XTAR MC1). The headband stretches
out of shape, but it can be replaced or modified. The headlamp is amazing.
On its highest regular setting (4), it's brighter than a car headlamp, and
it lasts for hours if you buy high quality batteries. If you see batteries
advertised as something over 3400 mA hours, don't believe it, you're
getting something potentially dangerous inside the wrapping. There is no
such thing. I fold up a paper towel and put it on my forhead for padding
and a sweatband. Works great.

No looking back. I use it for cleaning and doing projects. Extremely
useful, every day. The LED technology flashlights disappointed me at
first, but not anymore!

You can get that headlamp with two batteries and the stated charger for
less than $100.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fenix-HL55-9...item27ebee9389

That is a very good bet on high-quality 3400 mA hour batteries and
charger, for $115 total. Includes a car charger.

I wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It
uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a
CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in
complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like
daylight. Just amazing.

Larry, how about a link to this WunderLight?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It
uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a
CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in
complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like
daylight. Just amazing.

Larry, how about a link to this WunderLight?

How about this one ? I bought 2 , my neighbor liked 'em so I got him a pair
too ...
2x 2000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light+ Battery +Charger 3
Mode

I also got myself some extra batteries , and another 5-function 3kLM
New 3000 LM Zoomable CREE XM-LT6 LED 18650 Flashlight Torch Bright 5-Modes
USA
10 4.2V 18650 UltraFire Li-ion 6000mAh Rechargeable Battery for RC toy LED
Torch

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It
uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a
CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in
complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like
daylight. Just amazing.

Larry, how about a link to this WunderLight?

How about this one ? I bought 2 , my neighbor liked 'em so I got him
a pair too ...
2x 2000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light+ Battery
+Charger 3 Mode

I also got myself some extra batteries , and another 5-function 3kLM
New 3000 LM Zoomable CREE XM-LT6 LED 18650 Flashlight Torch Bright
5-Modes USA
10 4.2V 18650 UltraFire Li-ion 6000mAh Rechargeable Battery for RC
toy LED Torch

Eh , links didn't come thru , but those are the ebay descriptions . Just
paste the description into the ebay search window .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just picked up a tremendously bright (2kLM) LED light for $5. It
uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery (or 3 AAA batts) and uses a
CREE XM-L T6 LED. My single will light up a face at 300 yards in
complete dark in the zoom mode. Wide mode lights up the yard like
daylight. Just amazing.

Larry, how about a link to this WunderLight?

It was right there in the post, Rex. (Here's one for a penny)

How about this one ? I bought 2 , my neighbor liked 'em so I got him a pair
too ...
2x 2000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light+ Battery +Charger 3
Mode

I think the 3-modes were all U5 rather than T6, Terry. That or
lower-LM early models.

I also got myself some extra batteries , and another 5-function 3kLM
New 3000 LM Zoomable CREE XM-LT6 LED 18650 Flashlight Torch Bright 5-Modes
USA

They faked the LM rating on that, but the little buggers are damned
bright, nonetheless. I think actual is 1,200LM, about 30x what an old
xenon bulb could do in the older incan flashlights. The new LED
lights are astoundingly brighter, and batts last so much longer, too.
Me like!

10 4.2V 18650 UltraFire Li-ion 6000mAh Rechargeable Battery for RC toy LED
Torch

Just so you know, and don't pay too much extra for the high-capacity
batts, UltraFire says they don't make them in that density, so you
know they're probably both cloned and overrated. Ultrafires max at
3000mAh. That said, I buy the fakes at a buck apiece (10 for 9.99
with free shipping) and have had no problem with them. I don't have
any comparison, though. http://www.ultrafire.net/shownews.asp?id=60
With the T6, they last full power about 1:45:00 and on low, about 6
hrs. I seldom use them for more than 5 minutes at a time, so it's
mostly a moot point for me. During an emergency, I'll keep spare
batts with me at all times, though.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 7:43:00 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

How about this one ? I bought 2 , my neighbor liked 'em so I got him a pair
too ...
2x 2000LM CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light+ Battery +Charger 3
Mode

--
Snag

That seems to be a reasonable choice. The problem with brighter ones is they use more power so do not last as long. Most of our senses have a log response. That is to say that a doubling of the light will only be perceived as a slight increase in light ,but the battery life will be cut in half.

Having done a fair amount of caving with a carbide lamp when I lived in Alabama, I know you do not need a lot of light most of the time.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 07:30:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Having done a fair amount of caving with a carbide lamp when
I lived in Alabama, I know you do not need a lot of light most of the time.

Quietly step off to the side and extinguish my light, cup my hand over
my parabolic reflector for about 10 seconds then quickly slide my hand
off relighting it via the striker wheel BOOM! Scared the hell out of
you didn't I? ;-) Fun times! NSS 24064 if that means any thing to you...
Have not had any usable carbide in over 25 years:-(

Oh, carbide light is best when every one is using it, does not mix well
with blinding electric lights.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Having done a fair amount of caving with a carbide lamp when
I lived in Alabama, I know you do not need a lot of light most of the time.

Quietly step off to the side and extinguish my light, cup my hand over
my parabolic reflector for about 10 seconds then quickly slide my hand
off relighting it via the striker wheel BOOM! Scared the hell out of
you didn't I? ;-) Fun times! NSS 24064 if that means any thing to you...
Have not had any usable carbide in over 25 years:-(

Oh, carbide light is best when every one is using it, does not mix well
with blinding electric lights.

We had bird cannons that worked similarly. Wick or needle valve to
regulate water onto the carbide and a diaphragm to store the acetylene
and activate the valve to the combustion chamber and striker. Very
LOUD! But the blackbirds would get used to them after a while. Dad
supplemented by sending us afield with bricks of .22's and cases of
shotgun shells. This was for 2nd crop rice.

Back in those days, kids could have a lot of fun with the carbide,
avgas, and other combustibles we had around.

Pete Keillor

PIR spotlight failure D.M. Procida UK diy 11 March 29th 15 10:00 PM
LED spotlight bar JIP[_3_] UK diy 4 March 8th 15 03:54 PM
Spotlight fittings. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 August 7th 14 03:00 PM
Spotlight Wiring [email protected] Home Repair 7 August 10th 09 05:28 PM
Handheld circular saw recommendation? Richard Tobin UK diy 20 August 24th 06 11:49 PM