Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Spotlight Wiring

With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

Depends. If the switch was wired correctly, you should not be. But we
don't know that. We don't know what bare wire you are talking about either.
You won't get the OK from me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 11:12:19 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

You never know wihtout testing. If you knew how to test I
doubt if you would have asked the question. I suggest having a pro
come in.

No one can really tell you from the information you gave us
and likely even if you provided all the information available. There
are far too many ways someone before you may have screwed up the
wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No way to know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew
where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and
pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare
behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might
me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

Electrocuted? Extraordinarily unlikely. Shocked? Theoretically possible.
Why not just kill the breaker or pull the fuse?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AAAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!
(he said not to ask)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news In article
,
" wrote:

As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there
might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

Electrocuted? Extraordinarily unlikely. Shocked?
Theoretically possible.
Why not just kill the breaker or pull the fuse?

Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:
With the light switch off, but the fuse box on, if I unscrew where a
metal outdoor spotlight base meets the soffit, and grasp and pull the
base, AND if part of the base touches a wire left bare behind it,
would I be electrocuted?
As for why I'm not turning off the fuse and why there might me a bare
wire behind the base, don't ask.

Always best to pull the fuse/breaker.
But if you can't, I would do the following:
- Wear rubber/latex gloves, rubber soles (tennis shoes), use
fiberglass ladder
- Check to make sure light really is off (even with photosensor coverd
etc.)
- Tape off the light switch and put note there saying not to change it
- Make sure someone is around watching you or able to call for help if
you are hurt
- Gently unscrew fixture making sure not to touch loose wires. Don't
touch anything with your other hand.
- Use a proximity voltage sensor to touch all the wires in the box to
make sure that there is no high voltage in the box
- Confirm that voltage is *really* not present by using a voltmeter or
test light by testing between all the wires and neutral and
ground (note the proximity sensors can be fooled).
- Proceed carefully. It is always good practice to get used to not
simultaneously touching hot wires and neutral/ground at the same
time.

Note shutting the breaker/fuse is always best but even if you do,
there is always a chance that something is mislabelled or miswired
leaving live circuits within the box so the above precautions should
*always* be followed.

Admission: I typically follow only a subset of the above but I usually
know what I'm doing and I wouldn't recommend disregarding any safety
measures.

If you are not comfortable with the above or don't understand it then
call in an electrician.

Wall Fixing Spotlight Merryterry UK diy 4 March 30th 09 08:45 AM
Low Voltage LED Spotlight Geoff Lane UK diy 8 February 8th 09 05:12 PM
recessed spotlight wiring. [email protected] UK diy 19 October 15th 07 07:39 PM
US Flag spotlight Matt Home Repair 10 May 23rd 05 02:16 AM
Spotlight bulbs: R63 100W? Bert Coules UK diy 0 May 17th 05 01:54 PM