Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where to get beveled rod like this?

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11-Sep-15 1:09 PM, John Doe wrote:
What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Not sure you will find the exact thing you want. Perhaps he

http://www.sdp-si.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe fired this volley in news:mstnm6$ure
:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

It's CALLED "custom internal part of a cordless drill". You can buy all of
them you want from the manufacturer of the cordless drill -- unless they
don't want to sell them to you.

(sound of hand slapping forehead)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
John Doe fired this volley in
news:mstnm6$ure :

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

It's CALLED "custom internal part of a cordless drill". You can buy
all of them you want from the manufacturer of the cordless drill --
unless they don't want to sell them to you.

(sound of hand slapping forehead)

Lloyd

Or you can have someone with a machine shop make you one ... and those
aren't bevels , they're flats .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

John Doe fired:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area
is beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part. 8.8 mm, where the
beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is decreased. 6.8 mm,
from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

It's CALLED "custom internal part of a cordless drill". You can buy
all of them you want from the manufacturer of the cordless drill

No, I can't, because I need a longer rod.

It's not a complex part. It's just a rod with flats on one end.

I would think that somebody like McMaster Carr sells them, but I wanted
more information like "flats" before researching it.

--

-- unless they don't want to sell them to you.

(sound of hand slapping forehead)

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:14:25 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

Those flats are custom-designed for the drive scheme of that drill. It
seems unlikely that you'll find some generic part to replace it,
longer or not.

You could have one machined from oil-hardening drill rod. That's the
kind of part that apprentice machinists used to make with a file. If
you're game, and if you look for a YouTube video on the proper way to
file, you probably could make one yourself, from annealed drill rod,
and then you either could have it hardened or try doing it with a
propane torch and some instructions from people here.

To see if you can handle it, you could buy a piece of round steel rod
(generally quite soft and non-hardenable) from Home Depot, and get a
good mill file to file it to shape. Chances are you don't have to do a
precise job to make it work; it depends on the bearing and the female
socket it fits into.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

But seriously. They are flats just like any other flats. Anybody can
tell that much.

for the drive scheme of that drill.

Drive scheme? But seriously. I'm talking about rod with flats on one
end.

It seems unlikely that you'll find some generic part to replace it

You just might be right. Good luck!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe fired this volley in news:msv25h$nij
:

I would think that somebody like McMaster Carr sells them, but I wanted
more information like "flats" before researching it.

McMaster DOES sell the rod, if it's a standard diameter.

YOU provide the 'bevels'. G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:47:14 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

John Doe wrote:
[...]

They probably have a length and a span made specifically for that
application. It doesn't seem to be close to a fractional inch
equivalent.

for the drive scheme of that drill.

Drive scheme? But seriously. I'm talking about rod with flats on one
end.

The flats apparently are for driving the chuck, or some intermediate
component. Is it a very tight fit, or can you easily slide it out? How
is the rod with the flats held in place?

It seems unlikely that you'll find some generic part to replace it

You just might be right. Good luck!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 10:11:22 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It looks like an idle shaft (not a driven one), just to hold a rotating part (lubricated
cog) engaged with other gearing. The flat is just intended to keep it
from rotating (and rubbing against the plastic that holds it). A filed flat
would work fine, and a bit of hotmelt glue might be all the 'fitting' you need.
The difficulty is, the diameter has to match the original. Do you have a micrometer?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Part number 6.

http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Product...7&itemnumber=6

--

Thanks to the replies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Generally, people sell stuff that other people want to buy.

What do you reckon the market is for shiny round rod where the
round rod is decreased from one beveled side to the other"?

Thus, why would McMaster want to stock such an item?
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 02:05:30 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Part number 6.

http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Product...7&itemnumber=6

It looks like the flats engage matching flats inside the anvil.
Someone who knows hammer drills should be able to tell you if you even
need the flats for your application, or if you can just turn the end
down so it turns freely inside the anvil.

I don't have a hammer drill, so I'm not your guy. But the anvil, I
would think, might be irrelevant for your application.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 05:09:26 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Its called 5 minutes on a tool and cutter grinder or a couple attempts
on a belt sander

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why not do it like the factory does..uses square keystock (metric or
standard) and simply grinds the bevels into it?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Part number 6.

http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Product...7&itemnumber=6

Id say that $9.71 plus whatever shipping would be worth it just in
labor costs alone...dont you?

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each
side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Its called 5 minutes on a tool and cutter grinder or a couple attempts
on a belt sander

A 3# hammer an anvil and some round stock. Heat and beat to fit.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To be clear...
I'm not trying to repair anything.
I'm trying to connect the rod to a bicycle bottom bracket spindle.

I think it's possible to rig a rotary tool to make decent cuts/slots in the
end of a 9 mm rod. Or to make flats in it, for the end that sticks into the
gearcase. Will see.

Part number 6.

http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Products/DetailDiagram?

isId=true&productNumber=DCD995B&selectedType=25559 &documentId=44497
&itemnumber=6

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
To be clear...
I'm not trying to repair anything.
I'm trying to connect the rod to a bicycle bottom bracket spindle.

I think it's possible to rig a rotary tool to make decent cuts/slots in the
end of a 9 mm rod. Or to make flats in it, for the end that sticks into the
gearcase. Will see.

Unless you eliminate all the parts of that clutch I think you will find
it is going to slip under load. OH and don't believe the 20 volt bs on
those drills. The battery actually puts out 18 volts while in use. I
know someone who tore apart the battery pack and discovered that they
run the same number and type of cell that the rest of the 18 volt units do.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

John Doe wrote:

To be clear... I'm not trying to repair anything. I'm trying to
connect the rod to a bicycle bottom bracket spindle.

I think it's possible to rig a rotary tool to make decent cuts/slots
in the end of a 9 mm rod. Or to make flats in it, for the end that
sticks into the gearcase. Will see.

Unless you eliminate all the parts of that clutch I think you will
find it is going to slip under load.

I guess so, but nothing forward of the gearcase is being used.

OH and don't believe the 20 volt bs on those drills. The battery
actually puts out 18 volts while in use. I know someone who tore apart
the battery pack and discovered that they run the same number and type
of cell that the rest of the 18 volt units do.

That's true.

I'm using one that Dewalt describes as 350 unit watts output. This one
is 650 UWO. Relatively speaking, this one should be much more powerful.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd fired this volley in news:e4f50af3-e12c-4722-
:

Do you have a micrometer?

You ask that of someone who wants to buy that part off the shelf? G

HEH!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

whit3rd fired:

Do you have a micrometer?

You ask that of someone who wants to buy that part off the shelf? G

Has the know-it-all master craftsman ever made anything? Let's see it on
YouTube, Flickr, wherever? Or is its expertise limited to talk on the
Internet?

Sounds like the wannabe has no idea about mechanics. If the flats aren't
made precisely, both edges will not be driven by the anvil. There's also
the possibility that the diameter of the rod/flats must allow wiggle
room in the anvil so that what it's driving won't vibrate the gearbox.
That too might call for precise cuts.

HEH!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Its called 5 minutes on a tool and cutter grinder or a couple attempts
on a belt sander

Or 15 minutes with a vise and a file or two?

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area is
beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
8.8 mm, where the beveling starts, the diameter of the round rod is
decreased.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Thanks.

Its called 5 minutes on a tool and cutter grinder or a couple attempts
on a belt sander

Or 15 minutes with a vise and a file or two?

That too.

Btw...I dont have ANY round nose endmills. I started digging out
endmills last night and I found those heavy assed boxes were mostly
lathe tooling under a couple inches of endmills. I have maybe 50 lbs
of endmills at most. I was rather disappointed. Granted..there are
more than Ill ever use..and most are sharp....but there were no
"specialty" mills. Ive got endmills from about 1/8" cut up to 1.25"
diameter cut ..with most being 3/8-1/2" 2 and 4 flutes with a
significant number of 3 flute roughing endmills. I know I
transported a good 500 lbs of additional endmills to his new
shop...and I get first dibs on all of his surplus...so with luck Ill
be able to score some ball nosed mills and in fact..emailed him
requesting any he doesnt need anymore.

On a positive note....
I did find a good 30 lbs of new or nearly new lathe inserts..a good
many of which will fit my older toolholders (Praise Be!!) that Ive had
kicking around for lack of inserts to put in them. This along with at
least 200 lbs of HSS and cemented carbide lathe tooling both new and
used. Ive got enough HSS to never have to need another piece for the
shaper, ever again...or my grandkids.....

Now Im going to have to yet again...rearrainge the drawers in my
Simplicity pattern cabinet. Ive had the space to mix mill and lathe
tooling in a couple drawers. No more.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16531499073282
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16528413815378
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16529533611650
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16657364187826

The above photos from 2012..no longer apply...now Ive got so much
tooling Im going to have to move stuff completely out of it and into
other cabinets...sigh. And my jig/fixture cabinets..same thing there.
Wish I could find another Simplicity cabinet..I really..really need
another one!!!

Fortunately..I managed to snag a goodly number of cabinets..Including
a Stanley Vidmare (4 shelf..not drawers damnit..sigh).

Oh...got to post another "what is it"...new post..

Gunner

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Deez Nuts wrote:

John Doe wrote:

What is it called? Part beveled rod? Part double beveled rod?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/604/2...6d1618cf_b.jpg

It's the inner part of a cordless drill spindle, the part that slides
into the gearbox. The shiny area is ordinary round rod. The dark area
is beveled on both sides.

Details...

9.0 mm, diameter of the shiny round rod part.
6.8 mm, from one beveled side to the other. It's beveled 1 mm on each side.

I might use it, but there's not much to work with.

Not sure you will find the exact thing you want. Perhaps he

http://www.sdp-si.com

Yep, that's the ideas. I can get some keywords from the couplings pages.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Suckage/good, respectively.

"specialty" mills. Ive got endmills from about 1/8" cut up to 1.25"
diameter cut ..with most being 3/8-1/2" 2 and 4 flutes with a

Yeah, I figured that might be the case.

significant number of 3 flute roughing endmills. I know I
transported a good 500 lbs of additional endmills to his new

Wow!

shop...and I get first dibs on all of his surplus...so with luck Ill
be able to score some ball nosed mills and in fact..emailed him
requesting any he doesnt need anymore.

Cool. OK, let me know.

On a positive note....
I did find a good 30 lbs of new or nearly new lathe inserts..a good

Single or indexable?

many of which will fit my older toolholders (Praise Be!!) that Ive had
kicking around for lack of inserts to put in them. This along with at
least 200 lbs of HSS and cemented carbide lathe tooling both new and
used. Ive got enough HSS to never have to need another piece for the
shaper, ever again...or my grandkids.....

Now Im going to have to yet again...rearrainge the drawers in my
Simplicity pattern cabinet. Ive had the space to mix mill and lathe
tooling in a couple drawers. No more.

Don't tell me: Tawm bought all your patterns for dresses and you'll
finally be able to put tools in them, right? Thot so.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16531499073282

What are those in the left end of that drawer? They look like either
filters for exhaust/intake or some sort of sintered carbide mesh bits.
Hmm, maybe diamond coated shafts of some sort for grinding? 2 of 'em,
just to the left of the goggles and toward the camera.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16528413815378
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16529533611650
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16657364187826

The above photos from 2012..no longer apply...now Ive got so much
tooling Im going to have to move stuff completely out of it and into
other cabinets...sigh. And my jig/fixture cabinets..same thing there.
Wish I could find another Simplicity cabinet..I really..really need
another one!!!

They're nice.

Fortunately..I managed to snag a goodly number of cabinets..Including
a Stanley Vidmare (4 shelf..not drawers damnit..sigh).

Too bad. Drawers keep the dust 'n rust off, for the most part.

Oh...got to post another "what is it"...new post..

Um, OK.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 16:04:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16531499073282

What are those in the left end of that drawer? They look like either
filters for exhaust/intake or some sort of sintered carbide mesh bits.
Hmm, maybe diamond coated shafts of some sort for grinding? 2 of 'em,
just to the left of the goggles and toward the camera.

Diamond coated grinding "bobs". Damned near big enough to use for sex
toys. Ive used them checked in the mill to cut Hastaloy and Inconell
to a very fine finish. Some hardfaced materials as well. They came to
me "pretty dull but if you want them....". If they were "new"...they
would be damned dangerous to use.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16528413815378
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16529533611650
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16657364187826

The above photos from 2012..no longer apply...now Ive got so much
tooling Im going to have to move stuff completely out of it and into
other cabinets...sigh. And my jig/fixture cabinets..same thing there.
Wish I could find another Simplicity cabinet..I really..really need
another one!!!

They're nice.

Indeed they are. Tough as hell and built very very well. I suspect the
same folks who made Lista cabinets had a hand in making these.

Fortunately..I managed to snag a goodly number of cabinets..Including
a Stanley Vidmare (4 shelf..not drawers damnit..sigh).

Too bad. Drawers keep the dust 'n rust off, for the most part.

Sigh..indeed they do. But even my buddies wont sell me a Vidmare or
Lista cabinet for less than $500....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lista-9-...-/181865037621

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-STANLEY...-/252085251962

This..is the one I WANT...but there isnt enough pennies in the jar to
get one locally. They average $700 used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lista-Intern...-/231682731061

When I auctioned Gertler Industries off..I sold 14 of these. The
cheapest one went for $800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Vidm...-/271418657059

And the buyer tossed the tooling into about (10) 5gal buckets which I
supplied to him..which I took home. And of course they all..had the
red inserts..which are ****ing expensive all bythemselves....

One of these days Ill find one sitting all alone and
unwatched...(grin)

Gunner

Oh...got to post another "what is it"...new post..

Um, OK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe fired this volley in news:mt1qff
:

Has the know-it-all master craftsman ever made anything?

yeah... I've made a "couple" of machines to automate the manufacture of
explosive devices.

Other than those "couple" (50, or so), no, nothing.

BTW, military and civilian explosives contractor clients don't much like
to have their designs published on places like YouBoob.

Because you paid no attention to WHAT was being said, or by whom it was
being said, you completely missed that I was suspecting that the
"Wannabe" who hasn't a clue about the 'bevels' might ALSO not possess a
micrometer.

But you wouldn't get that from reading, no. Someone would likely have to
grab you by the nape of the neck and force your face into a piece of work
in order to actually see that it was real.

Dolt!

Lloyd

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:32:39 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
[...]

Damned well stated!!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So bump your rates and do a trade every once in awhile.
Or start dinging them for ACTUAL time spent on their jobs to let them
know how much you're normally discounting. I've only had to do that
twice so far, and they were both apologetic. They didn't realize the
extra benefits they were already getting. Neither complained ever
again, and I've kept both clients for years since.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lista-9-...-/181865037621

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-STANLEY...-/252085251962

This..is the one I WANT...but there isnt enough pennies in the jar to
get one locally. They average $700 used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lista-Intern...-/231682731061

When I auctioned Gertler Industries off..I sold 14 of these. The
cheapest one went for $800

Too bad you couldn't have sequestered a couple for the trouble. Ask
next time, eh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stanley-Vidm...-/271418657059

And the buyer tossed the tooling into about (10) 5gal buckets which I
supplied to him..which I took home. And of course they all..had the
red inserts..which are ****ing expensive all bythemselves....

I can't believe how much they can get for those, especially since all
the architects are using electronic formats nowadays.

One of these days Ill find one sitting all alone and
unwatched...(grin)

Watch your karma, dude. Crom'll getcha fer dat.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

That's likely how he was potty-trained. giggle

Dolt!

Please stop dissing dolts everywhere.