Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Silver bullets

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 07:50:42 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 21:49:24 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 18:55:45 -0500, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 1/2/2016 3:32 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
This may not be what you're referring to, but steel roller bearings
used in gas turbines often are silver-plated. The purpose it twofold:
it makes a superior bearing surface in normal operation (why, I don't
know), and it offers some protection in case the oil supply is
temporarily blocked. Like cast iron or babbitt, it provides some
lubrication even when run dry.

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets, I've made some for
people but never got any feedback on performance or what they did to the
barrel.

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this? There is Hoppes Elite for carbon
fouling, ammonia (or ammonia-free KG12) for copper, but what's used
for silver? When I use silver cleaner on silverplate, I smell
something like ammonia.

steel wool removes silver fouling. Along with the rifleing and bore
metal.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets, I've made some for
people but never got any feedback on performance or what they did to the
barrel.

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this? There is Hoppes Elite for carbon
fouling, ammonia (or ammonia-free KG12) for copper, but what's used
for silver?

Silver as a contaminant is removable with nitric acid, or (slowly) with chlorine
bleach. But, it's soluble in lead; just run a few soft-lead rounds through the
barrel, then you just have lead to clean.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I suppose the obvious answer is "Don't shoot Werewolves.", eh?

--

You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
--Oscar Wilde
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ive given some folks Sabots with silver cores. Much..much safer and
cleaner to shoot.

http://projects.nfstc.org/firearms/m...m10_t09_02.jpg
http://www.sabotreloadingpro.com/

etc etc.

They are easy to find on the net and quite inexpensive, and a
homeshop machinist can make his own quite easily from common
materials.

So yeah..you can kill werewolves with saboted silver bullets and not
have to use a chisel to clean out your bore afterwards

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets, I've made some for
people but never got any feedback on performance or what they did to the
barrel.

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this? There is Hoppes Elite for carbon
fouling, ammonia (or ammonia-free KG12) for copper, but what's used
for silver?

Silver as a contaminant is removable with nitric acid, or (slowly) with chlorine
bleach. But, it's soluble in lead; just run a few soft-lead rounds through the
barrel, then you just have lead to clean.

Ah..its not quite that easy. Take a lead bullet and try wiping off
silver solder from a piece of steel. Yeah..it will come off..with lots
and lots and lots of rubbing.
Lots

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 22:51:49 -0800

wrote:

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets, I've made some for
people but never got any feedback on performance or what they did to the
barrel.

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this? There is Hoppes Elite for carbon
fouling, ammonia (or ammonia-free KG12) for copper, but what's used
for silver?

Silver as a contaminant is removable with nitric acid, or (slowly) with chlorine
bleach. But, it's soluble in lead; just run a few soft-lead rounds through the
barrel, then you just have lead to clean.

Ah..its not quite that easy. Take a lead bullet and try wiping off
silver solder from a piece of steel. Yeah..it will come off..with lots
and lots and lots of rubbing.
Lots

So shooting a werewolf is also an excuse to go through a box or
two of "regular" ammo? "To clear the bore", of course.

Now where are them werewolves...?

Gunner

--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I think Silver makes a GREAT material for bullets...

Think "silver solder" fouling.

And what cleans the bore of this?

Silver as a contaminant is removable with nitric acid, or (slowly) with chlorine
bleach. But, it's soluble in lead; just run a few soft-lead rounds through the
barrel, then you just have lead to clean.

Ah..its not quite that easy. Take a lead bullet and try wiping off
silver solder from a piece of steel.

Dissolves faster in hot lead, than in a handheld lump. Pure silver won't build up
much of a layer, it isn't very strong. In the days before mass-produced graphite, there
were both lead-wire and silver-wire pencils in use.