Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Narrow grating 1/4" spacing, common products?

Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost 1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing. The porcelain
coated or affordable, the stainless steel are pricey.

Thanks.

Trying to make a cat litter box that separates the waste from the litter.
They can be purchased, but I want to make one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe fired this volley in
:

Trying to make a cat litter box that separates the waste from the
litter. They can be purchased, but I want to make one.

Use heavy-wired wire cloth. Cheap, by any measure. McMaster.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 4:48:43 PM UTC-7, John Doe wrote:
Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost 1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing.

How about expanded-metal lath (used for plastering)? You can 'tune'
the openings by stretching it a bit.

Otherwise, wire mesh 'hardware cloth' is a good solution (just a tad
awkward to locate). There's bronze-wire versions of this in the
bottom of most commercial sieves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the
size of a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow
flatbar vertically oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates
are spaced almost 1/2", that's too much spacing. Needs to be about
1/4" spacing.

How about expanded-metal lath (used for plastering)? You can 'tune'
the openings by stretching it a bit.

Otherwise, wire mesh 'hardware cloth' is a good solution (just a tad
awkward to locate). There's bronze-wire versions of this in the
bottom of most commercial sieves.

For sifting, Yes. For channeling, maybe not. It would be better if you
can coax the clumped waste into sliding as it meets the rake, as much as
possible, on its way into the receptacle. I want the clumps to hang up
as little as possible on their way to the trashcan, in theory.

There is one good sifting method. But you have to pour all of the litter
from one box into the other every time you sift. If you could sift from
the bottom up without having to do that, it would be great. Problem is
getting the sifting material back into position at the bottom of the
litter.

The barbecue grill looks really good if I can affix some thin metal/plastic
rods between the widely spaced rods, or find a closely spaced version.
Obviously it would be better than trying to make the whole thing by myself.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the
size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar
vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost
1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing. The
porcelain
coated or affordable, the stainless steel are pricey.

Thanks.

Trying to make a cat litter box that separates the waste from the
litter.
They can be purchased, but I want to make one.

Search for "troffer."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/02/2015 06:47 PM, John Doe wrote:
Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost 1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing. The porcelain
coated or affordable, the stainless steel are pricey.

Fluorescent light grid, plastic, square holes, various sizes.
I use a chunk to hold my .45 cases during reloading.

technomaNge
--
Maybe too old school.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
whit3rd wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

If you want metal you could try a couple
http://www.walmart.com/ip/ACE-Metal-...06600/26853226
Jusy make a bar to attach 2-3 or whatever side by side.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 21:06:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the
size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar
vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost
1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing. The
porcelain
coated or affordable, the stainless steel are pricey.

Thanks.

Trying to make a cat litter box that separates the waste from the
litter.
They can be purchased, but I want to make one.

Search for "troffer."

What do light grids have to do with cat crap? g

How about 1/4" hardware cloth? It's galvanized and everything.
It's what I used, if a cat owned me.

--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
Either corrosion resistant metal or a plastic. Something about the
size of
a barbecue grill grating. But the grates could be narrow flatbar
vertically
oriented. Looks like most barbecue grill grates are spaced almost
1/2",
that's too much spacing. Needs to be about 1/4" spacing. The
porcelain
coated or affordable, the stainless steel are pricey.

Thanks.

Trying to make a cat litter box that separates the waste from the
litter.
They can be purchased, but I want to make one.

Search for "troffer."

What do light grids have to do with cat crap? g

How about 1/4" hardware cloth? It's galvanized and everything.
It's what I used, if a cat owned me.

How'd that happen. I meant "It's what I'd use..."

--
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless,
but planning is indispensable. --Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Search for "troffer."

What do light grids have to do with cat crap? g

After searching for "troffer" I was wondering the same, but (as you
probably already saw) apparently it was explained in a following post.

Probably referring to the florescent light plastic grid covers.