Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Installed hydraulic wet kit on my semi truck

I have a hydraulic powered "beaver tail low boy" semi trailer. To run
it, 3 years ago we built a hydraulic unit by adapting an electric
power unit to run from a Honda GX-160 gasoline motor. It always
worked, but was hard to start in winter and slow, due to small amount
of flow.

So, I decided to install a wet kit to run the hydraulics off the truck
itself.

So, now, everything is done. What this kit is, is a hydraulic power
source that is fed from a PTO (Power Take Off), that is bolted to the
transmission.

The kit has a PTO, pump that bolts to a PTO, a hydraulic tank,
pressure relief, and hoses. I reused a tank from some old electric
hydraulic unit, but we had to modify it to adapt it to outdoor use to
prevent water ingress.

With this wet kit, everything is so much easier now. Everything is
ready to be used the moment the truck is running. It has about twice
the power of the old gasoline unit, even when the truck's engine is at
idle.

The problem that I posted 2 days ago, with the pressure relief, was
solved by buying another pressure relief.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cool. How does the PTO work? Was the transmission built for a PTO option?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-07, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Cool. How does the PTO work? Was the transmission built for a PTO option?

Check this out:

http://www.meyernd.com/product/tg8s-...50-muncie-pto/

The PTO is a small gearbox. The transmission has a cover that can be
removed, and a PTO bolted in its place. There is a gear in the PTO
that corresponds to a gear in the transmission, and they mesh together
when the PTO is installed.

There is a actuator inside that connects that gear with the output
when air is supplied to this actuator. It is an air cylinder that
makes two gears mesh. You use a pneumatic switch to supply air and
actuate that cylinder.

The hydraulic pump bolts to the output of the PTO.

http://www.munciepower.com/clientupl...SP/SP94-03.pdf