Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Excello spindle belt

I just broke the belt drving the spindle on my Excello 602...

The top of the machine is almost exactly like a 2J bridgy. I do
remember having a totaly awful time with this belt when I rebuilt the
head several years ago.

Anyone have tips or a procedure for spindle belt replacement?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 15:44:05 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I just broke the belt drving the spindle on my Excello 602...

The top of the machine is almost exactly like a 2J bridgy. I do
remember having a totaly awful time with this belt when I rebuilt the
head several years ago.

Anyone have tips or a procedure for spindle belt replacement?

How is your supply of belt shrinking fluid? Got a couple pints?

Yeah..they are almost the same..close enough. 2 things to do..pull
off the movable shieve on the moto'rs vari drive pulley and then pull
the motor and then belt will come right off..or block the same pulley
wide open and remove the motor and then push it towards the front
drive pulley..and remove the belt.

Either way..takes an hour or so

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:36:47 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

snip
Either way..takes an hour or so

/snip

Has anyone tried a Linkbelt in this application for a faster
fix?
http://tinyurl.com/a8evo4o

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just broke the belt drving the spindle on my Excello 602...

The top of the machine is almost exactly like a 2J bridgy. I do
remember having a totaly awful time with this belt when I rebuilt the
head several years ago.

Anyone have tips or a procedure for spindle belt replacement?

If you're talking about trouble wrestling with the belt while the
pulley spring is fighting you, look for a couple holes in the spring
retainer at the end of the motor shaft. If it's similar to a
Bridgeport or my Supermax, the holes line up with tapped holes in the
pulley flange. Install cap screws in the holes to compress the spring
and keep the pulley flanges spread.

Start the spindle, turn the speed all the way down, turn off the
motor, install the screws. Turn the speed control to max with the
motor stopped (allows the spindle pulley flanges to spread) and the
belt will be slack.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll look for this.

On the good side, I had a spare belt on the shelf. I had boought an
excello for spare parts years ago.

Did Gunner's block method last time, didn't work well at all for me.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 18:45:34 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/a8evo4o

Bridgeport/etc belts are almost 1.5" tall and being a vari-drive
belt...about 5/16" thick, with the tops and bottoms of the belts
having a slight taper. They are very stiff in the long axis.

The link belts will simply not work. Ive never seen one that was
taller than 5/8 in height..a C belt IRRC.

The problem is simply getting TO the belt to change it. Some mills (1J
types) have openings in the sides of the head..these are change pulley
machines..and yeah..those belts can and do work well enough.
Vari-drive heads ..(2J)..are pretty much stuck using the specific belt
for the machine. But with either style head..you will have to lift
the motor up to install the belt...there simply isnt enough slack to
connect the link belt into a circle without removing the motor.

Shrug. Fortunately..one seldom needs to change the belts...every 10-15
yrs is about right..unless you are running it 5/8/365

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Shrug. Fortunately..one seldom needs to change the belts...every 10-15
yrs is about right..unless you are running it 5/8/365

And thank goodness! Because about the time the belt wears out, the vari-
sheave bushings are probably going, too!

Ever change an R2E4 motor, belt, and both sheaves under an 8' ceiling?
It's a stunt, to be sure! Before we finally figured it out, we were
actually considering craning the machine over sideways to get at all the
stuff. (Might have made it easier, anyway... wouldn't have had to work
from a ladder, then.)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:15:47 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Shrug. Fortunately..one seldom needs to change the belts...every 10-15
yrs is about right..unless you are running it 5/8/365

And thank goodness! Because about the time the belt wears out, the vari-
sheave bushings are probably going, too!

Ayup. So you might as well check the bushings at the same time and
order a new set and epoxy them in. Good point indeed!

Ever change an R2E4 motor, belt, and both sheaves under an 8' ceiling?
It's a stunt, to be sure! Before we finally figured it out, we were
actually considering craning the machine over sideways to get at all the
stuff. (Might have made it easier, anyway... wouldn't have had to work
from a ladder, then.)

Lloyd

I do this stuff for a living. Fortunately..most machine shops have at
least a 10' ceiling and many are 12-15'

Thank Crom for that!!!

(Grin)

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just broke the belt drving the spindle on my Excello 602...

Go here to see pics of the job.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...lt-replacement
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:41:38 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showt...lt-replacement

Nicely shown! Nice shop too!!

PJ O'Rourke