Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander

Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a
spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have been using a Ridgid oscillating edge/belt spindle sander, that
a friend gave me about a year ago. He had it for about 3-4 years and it
stopped oscillating. After trying to fix it, he just bought a new one.
Same model, different color. I took it apart, and put it back together
and it's been working since! I love it. I have a 12" disc sander on an
old 10er Shopsmith, that I had been using, but now use the belt. The
oscillating aspect of it makes it sand better, and the belts last
longer. I really like the spindle sander. I'm sure for a lot more
bucks, you could buy an industrial model, that would have more power,
but I find for my use It's great. I sand 2x stock with it with no
problems.
Hope this helps you decide.
Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a
spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

They are two different tools. I have the Rigid and love it, but it is
strictly light duty. If you want to hog off large amounts of wood, go for
the belt/disc sander.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a
spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

They are two different tools. I have the Rigid and love it, but it is
strictly light duty. If you want to hog off large amounts of wood, go for
the belt/disc sander.

Let me ask you a question. Assuming you do wood working as a hobby,
would you rather have the Rigid spindle/belt, or a $200 belt/disc
sander? I would pick the Rigid. I find I use the spindle a lot. The
fact that the belt and spindle oscillate, makes a big difference.
I once saw a shop made deal that used a motor to oscillate the quill on
a drill press for sanding.
Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a
spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

They are two different tools. I have the Rigid and love it, but it is
strictly light duty. If you want to hog off large amounts of wood, go
for
the belt/disc sander.

Let me ask you a question. Assuming you do wood working as a hobby,
would you rather have the Rigid spindle/belt, or a $200 belt/disc
sander? I would pick the Rigid. I find I use the spindle a lot. The
fact that the belt and spindle oscillate, makes a big difference.
I once saw a shop made deal that used a motor to oscillate the quill on
a drill press for sanding.

Definitely the Rigid; just be aware its not a heavy duty tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller, I don't understand your comment. The Ridgid has a larger motor
and they both have 4" belts. Wouldn't the Ridgid be just as good or
better for removing lots of wood?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Toller, I don't understand your comment. The Ridgid has a larger motor
and they both have 4" belts. Wouldn't the Ridgid be just as good or
better for removing lots of wood?

It is a matter of construction. To accomplish the oscillating motion, they
sacrifice ruggedness. For instance, you must use DC with the Rigid or it
will just jam up; you won't find that on a normal belt sander.
I have had mine for 3 years and it is doing fine; but I have been careful
with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone used this? At $200 it looks to be a good buy with both a
spindle and edge belt sander.

I'm looking at either this or the Shopmaster 4" belt/6" disc sander.

Mike

I've had my Ridgid for a few years now. One of those things that gets used
most every project for something. Very good for a typical home shop. No, it
is not a commercial grade product, but it does everything it is designed to
do. The belt/disk is OK for many things, but a spindle sander sure is nice
for inside of curves. If you have the money and space for only one, I'd go
for the Ridgid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. That's the advice I was looking for.

Mike