Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Antique Lathe - 1880 J&B Barnes No. 5 treadle powered screw lathe- Newby Needs Help!!

On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 10:09:22 PM UTC-5, Vernon wrote:
Howdy folks,

I need to confess up front that I only know one thing about lathes: That
I've always wanted one!

Well, now I have one. And it's ancient! Here's what happened.

We have an elderly neighbor who's a junk dealer. My wife and two boys are
mesmerized by some of the stuff he has. Recently, after a visit to his yard
with the boys, she said to me: "You should see the lathe he has!".

Well, silly me. I figured it would be an old Sears lathe or something.
Anyway, a few days later, I happened to see him, expressed an interest in
it, and struck a deal to buy it for $75.00! Keep in mind, I did not see it.

The next day, as a "present" to me, my wife and boys went down to pay and
pick it up.

I immediately determined that this thing was REALLY OLD! Now that I've done
a little digging I know that:

1) It's not complete;
2) One reason it's not complete is that it was originally TREADLE POWERED
with a heavy flywheel, and was later converted to electric power.
Therefore, the manual power components are long gone;
3) It is missing the tail stock;
4) Otherwise, it seems to be complete. It came with an old electric motor
and a box of gears, a steady rest, and I don't even know what else;
5) It's really dirty.

I am hopeful that one of you who's had some experience refurbishing lathes
will give me a clue as to how to proceed. I'd like to dismantle, clean and
lubricate it. But I don't want to do anything stoopid.

I have learned that these things are very collectible. If it were
completely original it would be worth a HUNK of money as an industrial
antique.

However, I'm not a collector type. I'm just a simple minded tinkerer who
loves machinery and metal work. I would very much like to get this thing
slicked up and operational.

It doesn't matter one whit to me whether it's obsolete, slow as winter
molasses, or whatever. I just wanna see it spin and turn some metal.

I will truly appreciate some guidance. I would prefer to be copied by email
with any responses any of y'all leave in this group.

God Bless Antique Machinery And Bygone Simpler Times!
Vernon

you might get on bps . public tv and watch woodwright shop with roy under hill , one was recently demonstrated by roy. bps.org has the episode #'s and such.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14467
--
Steve W.

BOYS LATHE - TREADLE LATHE - PDF J T Woodworking 0 January 13th 06 05:17 AM
FA: Barnes lathe, late 1800's, in N CA Joe Landau Metalworking 3 December 5th 05 06:26 AM
Treadle Lathe doozer UK diy 20 November 4th 05 01:01 PM
TREADLE LATHE J T Woodworking 0 August 27th 05 11:37 PM
Treadle Lathe derekd Woodturning 10 February 16th 05 09:45 PM