Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Antique Lathe - 1880 J&B Barnes No. 5 treadle powered screw lathe- Newby Needs Help!!

On Sunday, September 9, 2001 at 10:09:22 PM UTC-5, Vernon wrote:
Howdy folks,

I need to confess up front that I only know one thing about lathes:
That I've always wanted one!

Well, now I have one. And it's ancient! Here's what happened.

We have an elderly neighbor who's a junk dealer. My wife and two
boys are mesmerized by some of the stuff he has. Recently, after a
visit to his yard with the boys, she said to me: "You should see
the lathe he has!".

Well, silly me. I figured it would be an old Sears lathe or
something. Anyway, a few days later, I happened to see him,
expressed an interest in it, and struck a deal to buy it for
$75.00! Keep in mind, I did not see it.

The next day, as a "present" to me, my wife and boys went down to
pay and pick it up.

I immediately determined that this thing was REALLY OLD! Now that
I've done a little digging I know that:

1) It's not complete; 2) One reason it's not complete is that it
was originally TREADLE POWERED with a heavy flywheel, and was later
converted to electric power. Therefore, the manual power components
are long gone; 3) It is missing the tail stock; 4) Otherwise, it
seems to be complete. It came with an old electric motor and a box
of gears, a steady rest, and I don't even know what else; 5) It's
really dirty.

I am hopeful that one of you who's had some experience refurbishing
lathes will give me a clue as to how to proceed. I'd like to
dismantle, clean and lubricate it. But I don't want to do anything
stoopid.

I have learned that these things are very collectible. If it were
completely original it would be worth a HUNK of money as an
industrial antique.

However, I'm not a collector type. I'm just a simple minded
tinkerer who loves machinery and metal work. I would very much
like to get this thing slicked up and operational.

It doesn't matter one whit to me whether it's obsolete, slow as
winter molasses, or whatever. I just wanna see it spin and turn
some metal.

I will truly appreciate some guidance. I would prefer to be copied
by email with any responses any of y'all leave in this group.

God Bless Antique Machinery And Bygone Simpler Times! Vernon

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14467
--
Steve W.