Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Building a shop

The opportunity has presented itself for me to build a small
workspace.

Main issue is that this is the Pacific Northwest. When it doesn't
rain, it is "misty". And then it is wet. IT does not freeze "a lot"
but often enough, that it needs to be considered. What I am
considering is a cabinet of some sort, for storing the "do not freeze"
materials, with some kind of internal heater to keep the contents
above freezing. I'm thinking to keep contents to some where between
35 (F) and 40 (F) when it is freezing outside.
And suggestions for making, retrofitting, or just going out and
buying a unit?
Most likely it will be electric, power is "cheap enough" and I
don't want to mess with more complex methods.

Hmmm - going to have to think of ways to keep tools "dry" - or at
least mostly condensation free, too.

These projects, always start "simple" and then get complex.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

A light bulb or two is the cheapest, safest, laziest way to heat something
like a cabinet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

The common item used around here is a gutted refrigerator. Install a
light bulb in the bottom (heat rises) and attach it to a thermostatic
switch.

If you want something larger or want heavier shelves you could build a
unit like I did.

I started with this shelving unit -
http://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/...49/GARS774SZG/

Next I built a box around it using some 2X4s and 1/4" plywood. (Plywood
tight to the shelf, 2X4 outside this, sheet rock screws to hold it in
place as you work.) In between the 2X4s on the outside I added foam
panel insulation. Then the outer layer of plywood. Made the doors out of
the same thing and used piano hinges so they were solid. Don't forget
the bottom!

Now you want to add a couple vents that can be operated as needed. I
used 4"X10" floor registers and a couple thermostatic greenhouse
controls to moderate the temperatures.
http://www.groworganic.com/rplcmnt-b...nt-opener.html

For heat I used a cheap 200 watt ceramic heater with a thermostat. You
could use light bulbs just as easily, I had the heater on the shelf.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

When I function-checked one of these last week it turned on at 29F.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...-TC3/100210525

It wasn't a proper test of cycling a heater on and off in an insulated
chamber.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 12:57:46 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Heating a small space ...may simply generate "steam" if you have no
dry air to introduce. Shrug

As for preventing freezing...you can insulate one of those 3x7 steel
cabinets with some foam and then stick a 60 watt incandecent bulb in
the bottom in a coffee can. Or even a heater element of some sort.

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." on Thu, 15 Jan 2015 17:16:41 -0500
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Ah, I have a fridge - it came with the carport. I'd been
intending to use it as a "raised" bed garden plot, but this sounds
more practical.
--
pyotr filipivich