Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Building a SMALL Shop

Has anyone built a SMALL portable shop..."shop in a box"?
If so, I would like to see some pictures of it.

After looking around for ideas of how to do it, I was very surprised to
see almost nothing posted. The only location that seems to have
anything is Sherline's site.

Thanks in advance.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Has anyone built a SMALL portable shop..."shop in a box"?
If so, I would like to see some pictures of it.

After looking around for ideas of how to do it, I was very surprised to
see almost nothing posted. The only location that seems to have
anything is Sherline's site.

The first article in Rudy Kouhoupt's book "The
Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt", volume one is
exactly that. I recommend the book, not only
for the article, but to see the incredible stuff
he could build with his shop in a box.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Thanks for responding.

I was aware of the article but to my surprise I do not see any sites
that have implemented what I consider to be an excellent idea. One of
the reasons why I am looking for this information is to see the
variations of implementations that I would expect others to have made.

Any links to sites that have variations on this theme?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Thanks for responding.

I was aware of the article but to my surprise I do not see any sites
that have implemented what I consider to be an excellent idea. One of
the reasons why I am looking for this information is to see the
variations of implementations that I would expect others to have made.

Then next time you have a question,
you might tell us where you're starting
from so someone won't waste 20 minutes
pulling down books, ckecking spelling
and composing a reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Jim, I thanked you for your efforts...and I do appreciate it.

I would also have asked the question the same way.

I am looking for different implementations of the theme (with Andy's
being just one of them) and not to just mimic his approach. That is why
I am looking and asking for different approaches.

Thanks again,

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On 12 Mar 2006 11:36:31 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Has anyone built a SMALL portable shop..."shop in a box"?
If so, I would like to see some pictures of it.

After looking around for ideas of how to do it, I was very surprised to
see almost nothing posted. The only location that seems to have
anything is Sherline's site.

Thanks in advance.

TMT

What is "small"? The military has portable machine shops built into
expandable shipping containers. They're delivered to wherever (Iraq),
powered up and ready to make replacement parts and modifications. They
comes stocked with raw materials as well as 4-5 axis(?) machines.

Saw the setup in some trade magazine a few months ago. Unfortunately, I
don't remember which one. I think the article told of one "hot" job they
had which was to modify the machine gun turrets on the Hummers to point more
upward to shoot at snipers on roof tops.
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

How about If I let you decide what is "small"?

The request was for links to what has been done...got any?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PJ

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
How about If I let you decide what is "small"?

The request was for links to what has been done...got any?

Thanks

TMT

This one might still be available...Paul :-)

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/ce5cf969a40f2449/94fad5020598fd34?lnk=st&q=author%3Aaltavoz+trailer &rnum=7&hl=en#94fad5020598fd34

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On 12 Mar 2006 15:55:13 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

How about If I let you decide what is "small"?

The request was for links to what has been done...got any?

Thanks

TMT

To me, a machine shop in a shipping container would be small. ...And I come
from a background of R&D with 5 machinist in the shop. We've had minimal
resources and space. I eventually went to the Sherline links and if that is
your definition of small and is what you're looking to achieve, then the
container shop is HUGE by your standards :-)

Here's the link to what I wrote of earlier:
www.ctemag.com/pdf/0508-Multitask.pdf
Sorry I didn't post it earlier but it was tough to Google because of the
usless title. I had to rumage through my old stack of trade magazines, go
to their websites and search from within. ...That took a little bit of
time.

Incidently, I do make small parts. sub .010" drills, slots, pockets... in
SST, AL, Ti... but with conventional sized machines (not Sherlines size).
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

skuke wrote:

On 12 Mar 2006 15:55:13 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

How about If I let you decide what is "small"?

The request was for links to what has been done...got any?

Thanks

TMT

To me, a machine shop in a shipping container would be small. ...And I come
from a background of R&D with 5 machinist in the shop. We've had minimal
resources and space. I eventually went to the Sherline links and if that is
your definition of small and is what you're looking to achieve, then the
container shop is HUGE by your standards :-)

He could scale it down into one of the inexpensive 4x8 cargo trailers
and even mount a generator and compressor on the tongue for total
portability. The build fiber optic splicing shops into trailers that
size so it's a pretty reasonable idea.

Pete C.

Here's the link to what I wrote of earlier:
www.ctemag.com/pdf/0508-Multitask.pdf
Sorry I didn't post it earlier but it was tough to Google because of the
usless title. I had to rumage through my old stack of trade magazines, go
to their websites and search from within. ...That took a little bit of
time.

Incidently, I do make small parts. sub .010" drills, slots, pockets... in
SST, AL, Ti... but with conventional sized machines (not Sherlines size).
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:20:30 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

The build fiber optic splicing shops into trailers that
size so it's a pretty reasonable idea.

My old housemate spliced fiber cables. The device he often used was about
the size of a large briefcase. When he had his own fiber business, he wound
up buying a used ambulance because it already came with a high ceiling,
shelving, work space and flashing lights (for traffic safety).

BTW, you NEVER want to get glass fiber splinters!!! They're .004" in
diameter and impossible to see once in the flesh, even under a microscope.
I spent an hour hacking away with a scalpel and the only way I could
determine where the glass was located was because the scalpel stopped
cutting meat when it hit the glass. The flesh moved differently when hit by
the knife.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

How about If I let you decide what is "small"?

The request was for links to what has been done...got any?

Thanks

TMT

OK, small to me is a shed on a trailer I made when I moved.
Click on "New portable shop"

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

skuke wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:20:30 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

The build fiber optic splicing shops into trailers that
size so it's a pretty reasonable idea.

My old housemate spliced fiber cables. The device he often used was about
the size of a large briefcase.

The arc-fusion splicers are pretty damn impressive, the ones I've used
were about 1' cubes. You still need a clean, well lit and climate
controlled work space around it though.

When he had his own fiber business, he wound
up buying a used ambulance because it already came with a high ceiling,
shelving, work space and flashing lights (for traffic safety).

Most companies use trailers, probably for a couple reasons. They can be
readily left at a location for a few days when there is a lot of
splicing to do while allowing the crew to still drive the tow vehicle
back to the shop and the taxes / registration / insurance on a trailer
is much lower than an actual motor vehicle. For a one man operation a
converted vehicle makes sense, for a large company, generally not.

BTW, you NEVER want to get glass fiber splinters!!! They're .004" in
diameter and impossible to see once in the flesh, even under a microscope.
I spent an hour hacking away with a scalpel and the only way I could
determine where the glass was located was because the scalpel stopped
cutting meat when it hit the glass. The flesh moved differently when hit by
the knife.

Doesn't sound like fun.

Pete C.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Head on over to stanleysteamers.com and ping JW, the guy that runs
the site. He built a workshop into a Wells Cargo trailer; I remember it was
set up pretty neat.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Better an early adapter
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : than an early adopter..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:15:22 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

My old housemate spliced fiber cables. The device he often used was about
the size of a large briefcase.

The arc-fusion splicers are pretty damn impressive, the ones I've used
were about 1' cubes. You still need a clean, well lit and climate
controlled work space around it though.

Yeah, that's what he called it; fusion splicer. The first one he had was
about $10k and the size of a large-ish suitcase. The second one, a newer
model, was the same price, but briefcase sized and had more bells and
whistles. I don't remember any cube shaped ones.

I don't know about the climate control work area though. He used to make
jumpers on my pool table in the garage. Come to think of it, it wasn't
clean or well lit either! He did make bank on those things though. He sit
there and crank out a half dozen(?) every hour and sold them for WELL over
$100.00 each.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

To me, the size of the shop is determined by the things that one is going to
work on. If it is machining small parts, or making small things, small is
small. But, if it involves working on pieces of 20' long material, small
isn't good. You can put a lot of machinery in a small space, and do it in
an orderly efficient manner. But when you bring in the workpieces, that's
usually where the real space is needed.

I do tubular steel. If I want to make a 20' awning, the machinery to do
that will fit very easily in the back of a pickup with enough space left for
about four day laborers. But the space it takes to do this is larger unless
you want to work outside in the rain and wind.

YMMV.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

doing a splice 12 feet below street level in a manhole isnt clean and
well lit either let alone repair splices that are in pits that have just
been torn up by a backhoe

skuke wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Jim, I thanked you for your efforts...and I do appreciate it.

I would also have asked the question the same way.

I am looking for different implementations of the theme (with Andy's
being just one of them) and not to just mimic his approach. That is why
I am looking and asking for different approaches.

I think his point is that if you say what you've already done you'll avoid
duplication of effort.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Brent Philion wrote:

doing a splice 12 feet below street level in a manhole isnt clean and
well lit either let alone repair splices that are in pits that have just
been torn up by a backhoe

Nope, emergency repairs you just deal with what's there. For new
installations though it seems to be the norm to have enough slack on the
cables to do all the splicing in the controlled environment of the
trailer and then tuck everything back into the vault / ped / whatever.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

skuke wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:15:22 GMT, Pete C. wrote:

My old housemate spliced fiber cables. The device he often used was about
the size of a large briefcase.

The arc-fusion splicers are pretty damn impressive, the ones I've used
were about 1' cubes. You still need a clean, well lit and climate
controlled work space around it though.

Yeah, that's what he called it; fusion splicer. The first one he had was
about $10k and the size of a large-ish suitcase. The second one, a newer
model, was the same price, but briefcase sized and had more bells and
whistles. I don't remember any cube shaped ones.

I think it was a Fujikura or something like that. Nice little flip up
LCD monitor showing the image from the microscopic camera and the splice
analysis data. Tiny little oven for applying the heat shrink
reinforcements to the splice area. Really neat little unit.

I don't know about the climate control work area though. He used to make
jumpers on my pool table in the garage. Come to think of it, it wasn't
clean or well lit either! He did make bank on those things though. He sit
there and crank out a half dozen(?) every hour and sold them for WELL over
$100.00 each.

Yep, was a time (may still be) when a contractor with a modest
investment in equipment and training could make good money doing fiber
work. Even more money if you had an OTDR.

Pete C.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Pete C. wrote:
He could scale it down into one of the inexpensive 4x8 cargo trailers
and even mount a generator and compressor on the tongue for total
portability.

Is there a combination compressor/generator powered by gas or diesel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Rex B wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
He could scale it down into one of the inexpensive 4x8 cargo trailers
and even mount a generator and compressor on the tongue for total
portability.

Is there a combination compressor/generator powered by gas or diesel?

Yes / no. The only one I know of commercially is the Miller Air-Pack
which is a diesel welder/generator/compressor. You could however
assemble one quite easily. Get one of the Onan 6.5 KW commercial RV
style generators that has the extended shaft typically used to power a
hydraulic pump for a lift truck and then couple an inexpensive
compressor head to the generator and use an electric clutch or air
unloader valve to control tank pressure.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

"I think his point is that if you say what you've already done you'll
avoid
duplication of effort.

--
--John ":

I understand his point and I do appreciate it. I also again appreciate
his contributions along with anyone else who cares to offer suggestions
as to what route they took to enhance portability of a workshop.

The reason why I did not mention it is because I am looking for how
people have "improved" Andy's implementation and that I am looking for
a range of solutions...I have more than one problem to solve for a
friend....we will be building a toolshop in a box along with a toolshop
on wheels.

Again any links or links to pictures are welcome.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Brent Philion :
doing a splice 12 feet below street level in a manhole isnt clean and
well lit either let alone repair splices that are in pits that have just
been torn up by a backhoe

How about ones where the buried fiber optic cable was hit by a
powered posthole auger? This happened during some new construction at
where I used to work.

The contractor was told to dig all of the postholes in a
specific area by hand, because of the buried cables. He dug the first
three that way, and when the supervisor went elsewhere, he got out the
auger and started drilling. The first hole, he pulled it back out and
said "What is all this orange junk wound up in the auger?" It took
quite a bit of work to track those back to where the breaks were, dig
them up, and re splice them.

Needless to say -- he did *not* make a profit on that job. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564