Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal-related work

A rainy/icy nasty day , but I did get some quality time in out in The
Annex today . I spent some time today working on one pattern and almost
completing a second for parts to the Gingery shaper I'm building . If all
goes well I'll have the sides and front cast by midweek (got beehives in
process too , and they take priority) and machined by the end . I think the
ram is next in the build sequence . And I've got a big pile of salvaged
lumber to use , all of it seasoned at least 20-30 years . I had forgotten
how much I used to enjoy woodwork - before it became my livelihood .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:13:30 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

A rainy/icy nasty day , but I did get some quality time in out in The
Annex today . I spent some time today working on one pattern and almost
completing a second for parts to the Gingery shaper I'm building . If all
goes well I'll have the sides and front cast by midweek (got beehives in

Aluminum castings? Are you taking pics of the process yet?

process too , and they take priority) and machined by the end . I think the
ram is next in the build sequence . And I've got a big pile of salvaged
lumber to use , all of it seasoned at least 20-30 years . I had forgotten
how much I used to enjoy woodwork - before it became my livelihood .

I can see those hives now: Bird's-eye maple frames, quilted sapele
boxes, bocote landing, and amboyna burl lid with ebony trim. bseg
Whoo-eee!

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A rainy/icy nasty day , but I did get some quality time in out in
The Annex today . I spent some time today working on one pattern and
almost completing a second for parts to the Gingery shaper I'm
building . If all goes well I'll have the sides and front cast by
midweek (got beehives in

Aluminum castings? Are you taking pics of the process yet?

process too , and they take priority) and machined by the end . I
think the ram is next in the build sequence . And I've got a big
pile of salvaged lumber to use , all of it seasoned at least 20-30
years . I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy woodwork - before
it became my livelihood .

I can see those hives now: Bird's-eye maple frames, quilted sapele
boxes, bocote landing, and amboyna burl lid with ebony trim. bseg
Whoo-eee!

Vivid imagination ! The hive bodies are plywood from cabinet doors and
boards that were closet shelves . The frames are from Dadant , I think ,
purchased at the Arkansas Beekeeper Ass'n annual meeting .
I'll start taking some pics when I begin casting , including ramming up
the molds and getting ready to pour . Here's a link to Rick Sparber's build
, with a lot of pictures and how-to's :

http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/CD/CDM/CD.htm

I'll be finishing up the hive bodies before I tart casting , they take up
a big part of my table space , I also need to get the table saw on wheels
somehow , it also takes up space that I need to safely pour 1350° molten
metal .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A rainy/icy nasty day , but I did get some quality time in out in
The Annex today . I spent some time today working on one pattern and
almost completing a second for parts to the Gingery shaper I'm
building . If all goes well I'll have the sides and front cast by
midweek (got beehives in

Aluminum castings? Are you taking pics of the process yet?

process too , and they take priority) and machined by the end . I
think the ram is next in the build sequence . And I've got a big
pile of salvaged lumber to use , all of it seasoned at least 20-30
years . I had forgotten how much I used to enjoy woodwork - before
it became my livelihood .

I can see those hives now: Bird's-eye maple frames, quilted sapele
boxes, bocote landing, and amboyna burl lid with ebony trim. bseg
Whoo-eee!

Vivid imagination !

No, that would have been a Yuppie nightmare. g I was makin' fun.

The hive bodies are plywood from cabinet doors and
boards that were closet shelves .

Oh, "no expenses spared" hives. I see.

The frames are from Dadant , I think ,

Isn't everything? I think their name comes up in every search I've
made since thinking about keeping bees.

purchased at the Arkansas Beekeeper Ass'n annual meeting .
I'll start taking some pics when I begin casting , including ramming up

Good good.

the molds and getting ready to pour . Here's a link to Rick Sparber's build
, with a lot of pictures and how-to's :

http://rick.sparber.org/Articles/CD/CDM/CD.htm

Cool! I'll check it out. We used an aluminum block my buddy Glenn
cast for the router holder on the CNC. It was mostly melted pistons
from Detroit. (His daughter owns a GM product, so he has plenty of
broken parts to play with. She keeps him very busy with her lemons.)
shakes head

I'll be finishing up the hive bodies before I tart casting , they take up
a big part of my table space , I also need to get the table saw on wheels
somehow , it also takes up space that I need to safely pour 1350° molten
metal.

I'd imagine that takes some consideration, both for horizontal and
vertical axes. A long while back, I remember reading about a guy who
did a pour in his garage, under the open garage door. The heat plume
(correct word for rising vapor cloud during pour?) cracked the window
and welded some of the plastic door parts together, requiring surgery
prior to being able to shut it again. Oops!