Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default replace panel sheet on Mitutoyo DRO ?

I have a Mitutoyo DRO on my lathe where the plastic sheet that covers and
labels the buttons has cracked and is falling apart. It is a
PL-325L, and there's a picture of it here
http://pico-systems.com/images/sheldon1.jpg

I'm guessing this DRO box is at least 20 years old, so I'm kind of
doubting Mitutoyo would still have parts for it.

I suppose I might be able to make some kind of plastic sheet to
replace the original, but it would probably look crummy (although
maybe not as crummy as it looks NOW!)

All suggestions welcome.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 21:58:52 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

I have a Mitutoyo DRO on my lathe where the plastic sheet that covers and
labels the buttons has cracked and is falling apart. It is a
PL-325L, and there's a picture of it here
http://pico-systems.com/images/sheldon1.jpg

I'm guessing this DRO box is at least 20 years old, so I'm kind of
doubting Mitutoyo would still have parts for it.

I suppose I might be able to make some kind of plastic sheet to
replace the original, but it would probably look crummy (although
maybe not as crummy as it looks NOW!)

All suggestions welcome.

Jon

Mitutoyo is pretty good about parts availability, but their prices may
make your eyes roll up.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/support/product-support/

Unless there is something special about that cover, though, I'd think
that a home-made one would be an easy solution.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
I have a Mitutoyo DRO on my lathe where the plastic sheet that covers
and
labels the buttons has cracked and is falling apart. It is a
PL-325L, and there's a picture of it here
http://pico-systems.com/images/sheldon1.jpg

I'm guessing this DRO box is at least 20 years old, so I'm kind of
doubting Mitutoyo would still have parts for it.

I suppose I might be able to make some kind of plastic sheet to
replace the original, but it would probably look crummy (although
maybe not as crummy as it looks NOW!)

All suggestions welcome.

Jon

I've made serviceable control panels without a lot of effort by
copying a reversed image onto acetate, which puts the lettering on the
inside, and darkening the toner with a marker. Attach the sheet to the
panel with double stick tape and trace the cutouts with an Xacto
knife.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 07:13:48 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
[...]

Ayup. Though to be fair...Miti may well indeed have a new cover.
They may have to order it from Japan..and it may cause you to choke at
the price..but...its entirely possible they can get you one.

Call one of the US Miti service centers and ask em.

http://www.mitutoyo.com/support/repair-service/

If you find one...tape on a piece of plastic so oil stays off the key
pad.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon - take a look at www.rs-big-print.com. The printing on the front
of the device is on the first surface of a mylar (polyester) sheet with
a contact cement on the back. Those are printed in one of Hewlitt
Packard's LaserJams.
A snazier aproach is to put the print on the second surface, which
gives a luxurient depth to the label's appearance. Printing in reverse so
evrything's black except the print adds to the effect. I've done this with
2 sided white tape holding the label to good effect.
All sorts of possibilities come to mind based on the 3 mil thick mylar
"transparency film" that 3M & other's sell. I want to try one with reverse
printing and some different color spray paints. Then Duro's "spray
adhesive" contact cement on the back - it worked well on sanding disks...

Hul