Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to replace my electric panel

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

+1...

Could not have fallen on the floor unless it was not connected to a
circuit...

Brand = Price

The bigger question you should be asking yourself is that if you are
going
to be replacing the panel now, should you also replace/upgrade the
service entrance, meter can, grounding facilities, etc at the same
time
since it is all related work...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 3:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Without the cover in place, there is not much holding stab-lok breakers to the buss, but as others have pointed out, it would have to have a pretty long wire attached to reach the floor.

I think the general consensus is that Square D- QO are considered the
best residential grade breakers

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/27/2012 2:50 PM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 27, 3:44 pm, wrote:
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

+1...

Could not have fallen on the floor unless it was not connected to a
circuit...

....and the cover was off, besides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

Not sure about all breakers, but mine snap in.

If I was the OP, I'd put it back and not worry about it
unless it did it again.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd check Consumer Reports. Beyond that, not sure.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Keith" wrote in message
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:38:29 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor.

If this were The Wheel, you'd have won a Carribean vacation.

It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, a new insurance carrier?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I
went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor.

If this were The Wheel, you'd have won a Carribean vacation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I
went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

--

The breakers just snap in place. This one came loose and popped out when I
tried to reset it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 8:21 PM, Keith wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I
went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

--

The breakers just snap in place. This one came loose and popped out when I
tried to reset it.

well why were your resetting a breaker that has no wire attached to it?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Was the wire it feeds still attached? Are you sure the panel needs
replacing because you had a bad breaker? That seems like you are
buying a new car because of a flat tire. But then again, you know
better the reason the breaker fell out since you were there.

If the panel is from the 60's, so is everything in it and probably
feeding it. Now is a good time to check everything that may need
upgrading before making a final decision.

The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be
others just as good. I don't buy them often so I don't have much
experience with the differences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Up here, Seimens is the brand of choice for most electricians. (every
one I asked about changing mine)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I see a lot of Seimens switchgear and metering centers as
well as breaker panels in commercial buildings... Square D
would also be a good name too...

Bolt-on breakers are better than snap-in types but those panels
and the breakers that are used with them cost a little bit more...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

*****
The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be
others just as good. I don't buy them often so I don't have much
experience with the differences.

Um, is he a Chinese electrician? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. *DONE!

obviously you havent priced FPE breakers lately. if you can find them
they are around 30 bucks each. plus its hard to get new homeowners
insurance with a FPE panel

just google FPE & fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 4:30 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:29 -0600,
wrote:

wrote in message ...
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I
went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

--

The breakers just snap in place. This one came loose and popped out when I
tried to reset it.

All brands of breakers snap in place. None do it exactly the same, but
they all do.

I garee with others. In order to pop out, the breaker panel cover had
to be off. If it fell on the floor, there was no wire attached.
Therefore, it's not being used, so why did you reset it?

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. DONE!

Do you demolish and build a new house when the carpeting needs to be
replaced?

Maybe the breaker is not even bad, and just was not snapped in tightly.
You'll have to carefully check this breaker and make sure the contacts
are that snap in place, are not broken. If this breaker is not being
used, just eliminate it, but buy a special cover made for the breaker
hole so fingers cant be shoved in the hole (likely required by code).

FPE stab-lok breakers do not snap in place, they wedge or stab into the
buss, hence the name. The current price for a single pole FPE breaker in
the U.S. is about $30

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 4:30*am, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:29 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in ....
[...]

All brands of breakers DO NOT just "snap into place" older ones
like the Stab-lok ones being discussed here wedge into place and
not all that well... Many commercial electrical panels use breakers
that BOLT into place using large machine screws to attach an input
flange on the breaker to the panel bus bar...

Why replace the panel ? LOL... Stick to things you know, a 40
year old panel should be replaced, not only are newer breakers
tested in better ways than the older ones were, many circuit
breakers deteriorate and wear out over time so that they might
not trip like they are designed to do or might not be able to be
switched back on after you turn them off if something has failed
inside...

Your comment about demo'ing a house to change the carpeting
is not a good comparison -- a carpet is an appearance issue,
carpeting won't kill you from a shock hazard or burn down the
house if it is overloaded or wears out... Consider replacing the
electrical panel an investment in safety...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 10:53 AM, Evan wrote:
On Jan 28, 4:30 am, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:29 -0600,
wrote:

wrote in ...
[...]

FPE breakers are famous for that. Remove the cover without a few extra
hands to help and guaranteed 5 breakers will pop out.

Why replace the panel ? LOL... Stick to things you know, a 40
year old panel should be replaced, not only are newer breakers
tested in better ways than the older ones were, many circuit
breakers deteriorate and wear out over time so that they might
not trip like they are designed to do or might not be able to be
switched back on after you turn them off if something has failed
inside...

Your comment about demo'ing a house to change the carpeting
is not a good comparison -- a carpet is an appearance issue,
carpeting won't kill you from a shock hazard or burn down the
house if it is overloaded or wears out... Consider replacing the
electrical panel an investment in safety...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

That's an odd thing to say that all breakers snap in to place because a
few moths ago I installed 20 amp "bolt in" breakers in am electrical
panel to power two new 120 vac circuits for a couple of 42" monitors.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:15:55 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:37Â*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:15:13 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:38:29 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. Â*The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. Â*It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. Â*If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Was the wire it feeds still attached? Â*Are you sure the panel needs
replacing because you had a bad breaker? Â*That seems like you are
buying a new car because of a flat tire. Â* But then again, you know
better the reason the breaker fell out since you were there.

If the panel is from the 60's, so is everything in it and probably
feeding it. Â*Now is a good time to check everything that may need
upgrading before making a final decision.

The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be
others just as good. Â*I don't buy them often so I don't have much
experience with the differences.

Â*Up here, Seimens is the brand of choice for most electricians. (every
one I asked about changing mine)

I see a lot of Seimens switchgear and metering centers as
well as breaker panels in commercial buildings... Square D
would also be a good name too...

Bolt-on breakers are better than snap-in types but those panels
and the breakers that are used with them cost a little bit more...

~~ Evan

And don't associate "square D" necessarily with quality. The Square D
Homeline? panel is the replacement for the FPE. Both made by the same
company, by the way. Schneider Electric builds both Square D and FPE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK -- Where "R" U
Wok, Work - it's only one stupid little letter ;}
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:23:14 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. Â*DONE!

obviously you havent priced FPE breakers lately. if you can find them
they are around 30 bucks each. plus its hard to get new homeowners
insurance with a FPE panel

just google FPE & fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

No problem getting insurance with an FPE panel if it is in good shape
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:53:09 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

On Jan 28, 4:30Â*am, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:29 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in ...
On 1/27/2012 2:38 PM, Keith wrote:
My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. Â*The other day I
went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor....

How's that even possible if there were a load wire attached?????

--

The breakers just snap in place. Â*This one came loose and popped out when I
tried to reset it.

All brands of breakers snap in place. Â*None do it exactly the same, but
they all do.

I garee with others. Â*In order to pop out, the breaker panel cover had
to be off. Â*If it fell on the floor, there was no wire attached.
Therefore, it's not being used, so why did you reset it?

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. Â*DONE!

Do you demolish and build a new house when the carpeting needs to be
replaced?

Maybe the breaker is not even bad, and just was not snapped in tightly.
You'll have to carefully check this breaker and make sure the contacts
are that snap in place, are not broken. Â*If this breaker is not being
[...]

I still say the green hairy hunchback lives under a bridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 4:30 am, wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:21:29 -0600,
wrote:

wrote in ...
[...]

Never had it happen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Square D was known for their high quality, and Federal Pacific was known
for their low quality long before Schneider had anything to do with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

just google FPE & fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

*No problem getting insurance with an FPE panel if it is in good shape
.

check the net FPE panels are bad news, often the breakers dont trip
even under a direct short.

insurance companies often inspect homes before writing new policies,
for known risks.......

this wasnt the case years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

ANd all I'm saying is THINGS HAVE CHANGED. The high end Square D is
still good stuff - but they are putting the Sqare D name on the FPE
quality product now as well. Just because it says Square D on it does
not mean it is the quality product you have come to associate with
Square D.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:57:53 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

just google FPE & fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

Â*No problem getting insurance with an FPE panel if it is in good shape
.

check the net FPE panels are bad news, often the breakers dont trip
even under a direct short.

insurance companies often inspect homes before writing new policies,
for known risks.......

this wasnt the case years ago

I work for an insurance company half time. THEY do not inspect. They
may require an inspection. They will not fail a house for having FPE
breaker panels. They will fail it for having an unsafe panel.

The FPE problem is basically limitted to several years production 30
or so years ago. Their current product (well - up untill they changed
it to Square D - and the FPE is still available at Home Despot in
Canada, for instance) the product was actually pretty fair quality -
with virtually no higher incidence of problems than with any other
major manufacturer. As an electrician, my dad said he saw as many
Square D and other panel failures as he did FPE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. DONE!

obviously you havent priced FPE breakers lately. if you can find them
they are around 30 bucks each. plus its hard to get new homeowners
insurance with a FPE panel

just google FPE& fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

No problem getting insurance with an FPE panel if it is in good shape
.

****ing bob has this hairbrained idea that an insurance agent is coming
around to SEE what your panel and wiring looks like. I've insured a
total of 12 houses (8 in the last 6 years) and no one has looked, asked,
or gave a **** about the wiring, plumbing, or the vacuum system. I even
ASKED the state farm agent i got a quote from (way out of sight price
wise) and he said, "we could care less".

Well, there is State Farm, and then there is INSURANCE.

But I agree - the AGENT doesn't look at the house.
The agent/broker asks questions. Depending on the answers, an
inspection by the relevant electrical safety authority or an
authorized electrician may be required to get coverage - and lying on
the questionaire to avoid inspection can cause the insurance company
to deny a claim if it can be found beyond reasonable doubt that you
knew you were lying.

Get caught cheating with one company and just try getting insurance
from ANYONE at a reasonable price in the future.
Lotsa Luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:49:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

*****
The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be
others just as good. I don't buy them often so I don't have much
experience with the differences.

Um, is he a Chinese electrician? ^_^

TDD

OK -- Where "R" U
Wok, Work - it's only one stupid little letter ;}

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. ^_^

TDD

Typos provide some of the best entertainment on USENET.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why replace the whole panel because of one (possibly) bad breaker.
Spend around $5 for a new breaker, snap it in, and put the cover on the
panel. *DONE!

obviously you havent priced FPE breakers lately. if you can find them
they are around 30 bucks each. plus its hard to get new homeowners
insurance with a FPE panel

just google FPE & fire.....

then you will understand why the company went out of
business...........

Ok, I was not aware of that, but if those breakers are or were so bad,
how come another company dont just make a better breaker for the same
panels?