Bruce

Default Electric Panel Rating

How does one determine the rating of an electric panel? I am not
talking about the size of the main breaker or the rating of the
service entrance wires but the rating of the panel itself. Should
there be a plate or a label that gives the rating of the panel? Where
would this be found?
Kevin Ricks

There should be a label on the inside door. On some boxes you may have to
remove the front cover to see all the info. My box says 150 Amps max. This
means, on my box, the size of the main breaker can be no more than 150 Amps.
I have a 100 Amp breaker outside on the meter box. I am not sure what you
are asking if you are not talking about sizing of the main breaker?
Kevin

"Bruce" wrote in message
om...
How does one determine the rating of an electric panel? I am not
talking about the size of the main breaker or the rating of the
service entrance wires but the rating of the panel itself. Should
there be a plate or a label that gives the rating of the panel? Where
would this be found?

Bruce

Kevin,
Thanks. My question is how to determine the maximum size service a
panel is rated for. If I understand correctly panels have a rating and
you cannot exceed this rating. For instance, a panel rated for 150
Amps could not have a 200 Amp main breaker. Where would I find this
rating for a panel?

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message ...
There should be a label on the inside door. On some boxes you may have to
remove the front cover to see all the info. My box says 150 Amps max. This
means, on my box, the size of the main breaker can be no more than 150 Amps.
I have a 100 Amp breaker outside on the meter box. I am not sure what you
are asking if you are not talking about sizing of the main breaker?
Kevin

om...