Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to replace my electric panel

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:16:58 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 1/27/2012 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:38:29 -0600,
wrote:

My existing panel is a Federal Pacific from the 1960s. The other day I went
to reset a breaker, and it popped out and fell on the floor. It's time for
a new box, and I'm looking for a brand recommendation if there's sufficient
differentation between available boxes and breakers. If they're all pretty
much the same, that's fine too.

Was the wire it feeds still attached? Are you sure the panel needs
replacing because you had a bad breaker? That seems like you are
buying a new car because of a flat tire. But then again, you know
better the reason the breaker fell out since you were there.

If the panel is from the 60's, so is everything in it and probably
feeding it. Now is a good time to check everything that may need
upgrading before making a final decision.

*****
The electrician we use at wok prefers Square D, but there may be
others just as good. I don't buy them often so I don't have much
experience with the differences.

Um, is he a Chinese electrician? ^_^

TDD

OK -- Where "R" U
Wok, Work - it's only one stupid little letter ;}