Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rain damaged sheet rock - repair or replace

I have a home in Dallas Texas whose rof has a leak and damaged multiple
areas of sheetrock in the ceiling. This is the third time this area
has been repaired by the home builder. The home is currently 1 1/2
years out of warrantly however the last repair covered under the
warrantly for the roof leak was 1 year ago. The sheetrock in the
ceiling is stained and remains damp after 1 week of air drying and
fans. I cut out a large area to aid in the drying process. My
question is that the homebuilder wants to simply dry the sheetrock and
resurface the ceiling instead of cut out the damaged area. I normally
would insist that he replace these areas but am unsure if his solution
is reasonable. My only fear is the ensuing argument over whether or
not they will cover the repair under warranty being that it was never
correctly repaired (4th time this has happened in same exact area) with
their last attempted repair 11 months ago. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Pay for independant advise, obviously he isnt fixing it right and most
likely is not now going to do it properly. Most likely the correct way
to repair the leak is extensive and expensive. Get your advise and go to
small claims if it cant be done right. Oh the drywall, I cant see it
from here. Id be more worried about rot and mold in the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
[...]

You may want to ask about your state's lemon laws with regards to new
homes. You have an ongoing problem that could easily escalate into a
mold problem. You should collect your papers on the warranty work and
repairs to date, along with your photos, and ask consumer affairs or
whomever handles such things in Texas, how to deal with the situation.
A lawyer is also a good idea, but that will certainly raise the hackles
of the builder and pretty much force a lawsuit. You may have no
choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

Clearly this problem is bigger than the drywall. You need to leak fixed
properly, then the proper repair made. Almost certainly that will call for
new drywall. I like both ideas suggested. You are going to need some
authoritative help to get this fixed right. Checking with your local
(state?) authorities may be a good place to start. If you can't find
anything there, I would suggest a local attorney. This could be an
expensive thing if you let it go.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit