Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tab Washer

I finally got around to putting the (new to me) quill back together so I can
take the Hurco mill back to its original configuration. Seemed like one
thing after another. Been busy with customers and family of course, and
then when I had everything (I thought) read to assemble the push tube on my
12 ton press decided to collapse. I can't complain. I bought it used 15
years ago from my dad when he upgraded to a 20 ton. I got a lot of use out
of it. I figured what the heck. Time for me to upgrade as well. Nobody
had one in stock locally. I ordered one a few weeks ago. They keep giving
me excuses, but no press. Finally, I got tired of waiting and repaired my
12 ton with a solid rod instead of the hollow pipe it had before. I also
added a reinforcing plate that guides my push rod a little better than the
original setup. Should last a few more years, and who knows, my new 20 ton
might show up some day.

Anyway, I put the quill back together today and noted that the locking tab
washer that holds the retaining nut in place is chewed off. The inner tab
is almost totally gone. I suppose I can cut one, but I don't think I have
any sheet as strong as the steel used for that washer. I figured I'ld buy
one. Only thing is I haven't a clue where. I tried McMaster, but either
they don't have any, or I don't know what they call it.

Pictu
http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/in...;sa=view;pic=9

Now, to go rummage around in the shop and see what I have that might do.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/12/14 22:10, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

For a starting place I would look at skf.com and "locking washers" .
They're a standard commodity item and unless yours are special should be
readily available off the shelf. Have a look at what is available there
and report back, if they can't provide what you want.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
[...]

Bearing Lock Washer looks like the term I need to search for. Looks like a
Timken TW106 might do the job.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Motion Industries and Fastenal both list it. Neither seems to have on-line
store inventory anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

Motion Industries and Fastenal both list it. Neither seems to have
on-line store inventory anymore.

I don't know that they have it, but try VXB.com. I get a lot of one-offs
and oddball bearing stuff from them.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:10:03 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

I finally got around to putting the (new to me) quill back together

[...]
Anyway, I put the quill back together today and noted that the locking tab
washer that holds the retaining nut in place is chewed off. The inner tab
is almost totally gone. I suppose I can cut one, but I don't think I have
any sheet as strong as the steel used for that washer. I figured I'd buy
one. Only thing is I haven't a clue where. I tried McMaster, but either
they don't have any, or I don't know what they call it.

Pictu
http://yumabassman.com/forums-new/in...;sa=view;pic=9

Is there any chance you can weld or braze a tab inside the ring?
Or have a local shop do so?

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby fired this volley in news:m6g21l$b5g$2
@dont-email.me:

Is there any chance you can weld or braze a tab inside the ring?
Or have a local shop do so?

Bob IS "the local shop". G

Yeah. I imagine he could do that; but I'm guessing that, like me, he'd
rather put an authentic replacement on it than bodge something together.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 4.170...
James Waldby fired this volley in news:m6g21l$b5g$2
@dont-email.me:

Is there any chance you can weld or braze a tab inside the ring?
Or have a local shop do so?

Bob IS "the local shop". G

Yeah. I imagine he could do that; but I'm guessing that, like me, he'd
rather put an authentic replacement on it than bodge something together.

Lloyd

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lloyd. Actually, I had drawn it up in CB
already and was planning to cut one out on the Charter Oak mill, but I
couldn't find anything in the shop I trusted to make the part except a piece
of spring steel sheet I am saving for another project. I have several
pieces of steel I could have made the part out of including old alarm boxes,
but all of it is too soft in my opinion for the application. I suppose I
could have cut it out of something and case hardened it with some cherry
red, but then it was starting to look like way to much of a project for a
washer. LOL. I ordered a TW106 from the local Motion Industries store.
They say it should be here Tuesday, but it was almost closing time. I bet
it won't be here until Wednesday.

Things could get interesting in the next few months. I'm finally going to
start building my hybrid machines over the holidays if I get the Hurco back
in service in its original configuration. I need the 13"+ Y of the Hurco to
do some stuff, and the 27"+ X of the Charter Oak machine to do some of the
other stuff. My design has changed dramatically since I first drew it up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:50:03 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

James Waldby fired this volley in news:m6g21l$b5g$2
:

Is there any chance you can weld or braze a tab inside the ring?
Or have a local shop do so?

Bob IS "the local shop". G

Yeah. I imagine he could do that; but I'm guessing that, like me, he'd
rather put an authentic replacement on it than bodge something together.

Why not take 1 piece of sheet steel and 1 plasma cutter, then go to
town. That shouldn't take long at all. Put a nail through it for the
diameter cuts, then hack out the crenellations.

Sadly a plasma cutter is still on my wish list. I could cut it out on one
of the mills, but I didn't have sheet on hand I trusted to hold up. I know
I could have case hardened just about anything, but then it became an
awfully involved project for just a washer. Once I found out what to call
it I didn't have to much time finding one in a Timken part number. Fastenal
and Motion industries both listed the part number on their website so I
stopped by the local stores. The guys at Motion Industries said I should
have it by Tuesday (but I am betting on Wendesday) so I just ordered one and
moved on to other projects.

BTW, Bob, that's the key word, crenellated. What diameter? You might
find one at an auto parts store. I used to see them as front axle
bearing retainers _many_ moons ago.

I have not seen one used on a wheel bearing, but that's not a bad idea. I
may try an auto parts store next time around. Variants of them are common
on boat props.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Bob,

Commonly called a "WO-#" washer and goes with an "NO-#" nut. Example
would be a "WO-5" washer goes with an "NO-5" nut. Really cheap to buy
either/both new at any bearing supply store.

Here's a chart to find your size:

http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=48

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 22:34:34 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Bob,

Commonly called a "WO-#" washer and goes with an "NO-#" nut. Example
would be a "WO-5" washer goes with an "NO-5" nut. Really cheap to buy
either/both new at any bearing supply store.

Here's a chart to find your size:

http://www.whittet-higgins.com/part.php?series_id=48

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

Saved!! Thanks!!!

PJ O'Rourke

HE Washer Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 43 October 9th 13 11:33 PM
Washer pan desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 9 May 31st 10 04:00 PM
Best washer under $600? k[_2_] Home Repair 26 August 25th 09 05:08 PM
LG washer houseman Home Ownership 1 August 25th 06 06:47 AM
stacked washer dryer, dryer works, washer does not [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 14th 05 09:53 PM