Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best washer under $600?

Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

I would google for info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

You want? You got it! Right here. http://www.columbuswashboard.com/

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 3:16*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
"k" wrote in message

Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? *We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

You want? You got it! *Right here. * *http://www.columbuswashboard.com/

Charlie

Ha! Good one. Unfortunately, they don't have an electric model...

Maybe I should broaden my question by asking whether one brand has a
more reliable record in terms of requiring repairs.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever modle made by Whirlpool that is in your price range.
That is all I have bought. Had one for a number of years, moved about 4
years ago and bought a new one.

Maytag used to be good a number of years ago,but got cheapened up. Not so
good any more. They may have improved in the last year or so as I think
Whirlpool bought them out.

"k" wrote in message
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 11:52*am, k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? *We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

None are made like they used to be, a commercial unit will last
longest, we had one last maybe 30- 35 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

You're posting via that ghastly Google interface instead of using a real
newsreader, so I can't easily tell your location.

But here's an example of what you can find on Craigslist for substantially
under $600.

"We are giving away our old washer and dryer. They are in good working
order, look great, see the picture below. We have bought a new washer and
dryer, and don't have time for a garage sale. We need them gone by Thursday
evening. Be the first person that comes by. It's a bargain, FREE. "

With pic
http://houston.craigslist.org/zip/1336419964.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/site.../washer.01.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
Whatever modle made by Whirlpool that is in your price range.
That is all I have bought. Had one for a number of years, moved about 4
years ago and bought a new one.

Maytag used to be good a number of years ago,but got cheapened up. Not so
good any more. They may have improved in the last year or so as I think
Whirlpool bought them out.

I have a 12 year old Amana, and I've never had to have it repaired...yet.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, what a ghastly Google interface!

My personal washing machine is ancient Whirlpool. Before you
ashcan that Kenmore, please try to find a couple small town
appliance repair shops to come take a look at it. Never
know. Might be a simple part.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"k" wrote in message
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for
less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few
repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working,
so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:34:43 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Oh, what a ghastly Google interface!

My personal washing machine is ancient Whirlpool. Before you
ashcan that Kenmore, please try to find a couple small town
appliance repair shops to come take a look at it. Never
know. Might be a simple part.

Or remove the agitator and look for socks or female undies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"k" wrote in message ...
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Speed Queen top loader. They're still made in the U.S.A., and nothing
else comes close in terms of build quality, performance or warranty.

You might have to shop to find a new one under $600 (or even to find
one period, considering Alliance's lack of marketing), but the effort is
well worth it.

http://www.speedqueen.com/home/products/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"k" wrote in message
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Speed Queen top loader. They're still made in the U.S.A., and nothing
else comes close in terms of build quality, performance or warranty.

You might have to shop to find a new one under $600 (or even to find
one period, considering Alliance's lack of marketing), but the effort is
well worth it.

http://www.speedqueen.com/home/products/

Whirlpool....I have Whirlpool washer/dryer , fridge , stove and DW....Very
happy with them....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 22, 11:52*am, k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? *We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Go down to your library and read Consumer Reports. Their repair
frequency charts are based on several thousand user replies, not a
half dozen or so as in this NG. You'll probably end up with some model
of Whirlpool or Kenmore.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:52 am, k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Go down to your library and read Consumer Reports. Their repair
frequency charts are based on several thousand user replies, not a
half dozen or so as in this NG. You'll probably end up with some model
of Whirlpool or Kenmore.

Joe

Good advice except that their reports are based upon hundreds of
thousands of replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"LouB" wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:52 am, k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Go down to your library and read Consumer Reports. Their repair
frequency charts are based on several thousand user replies, not a
half dozen or so as in this NG. You'll probably end up with some model
of Whirlpool or Kenmore.

Joe

Good advice except that their reports are based upon hundreds of
thousands of replies.

Long story short: Consumer Reports sucks, and this thread is a
perfect example of why they suck.

Speed Queen washers are never included in Consumer Reports
reviews, only because Speed Queen doesn't maintain "enough"
share of the washer market. That doesn't mean Speed Queen
washers aren't superior (they most definitely are), it just means
CR misinforms and misleads people by their myopic claims and
conclusions.

Compare SQ's warranty to Whirlpool's and you'll understand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"LouB" wrote in message
Joe wrote:
On Aug 22, 11:52 am, k wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you didn't see the thread topic ?? Here it is for ya...Best washer
under 600 bucks....Which is a Whirlpool....Perhaps if he was opening a
laundrymat or had rental units with a laundry he would go SQ.....There is a
reason you don't see them in homes...PRICE.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

Long story short: Consumer Reports sucks, and this thread is a
perfect example of why they suck.

Speed Queen washers are never included in Consumer Reports
reviews, only because Speed Queen doesn't maintain "enough"
share of the washer market. That doesn't mean Speed Queen
washers aren't superior (they most definitely are), it just means
CR misinforms and misleads people by their myopic claims and
conclusions.

Compare SQ's warranty to Whirlpool's and you'll understand.

Perhaps you didn't see the thread topic ?? Here it is for ya...Best washer
under 600 bucks....Which is a Whirlpool....Perhaps if he was opening a
laundrymat or had rental units with a laundry he would go SQ.....There is
a reason you don't see them in homes...PRICE.........

I did a quick search and the lowest was $ 629 and another for $680. The
others were $ 1400 and up.
YOu can get 2 or 3 Whirlpool washers for the price of the beter SQ machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the suggestions and insights.

The Speed Queen idea is kind of nostalgic, though the price is
probably prohibitive. My uncle used to have a string of laundromats
along with a commercial laundry and all he had were Speed Queens, in
the laundromats anyway. I didn't even know they made them anymore.

Thanks again.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"k" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the suggestions and insights.

The Speed Queen idea is kind of nostalgic, though the price is
probably prohibitive. My uncle used to have a string of laundromats
along with a commercial laundry and all he had were Speed Queens, in
the laundromats anyway. I didn't even know they made them anymore.

Thanks again.

We got a top of the line Speed Queen top loader last year and paid $599
+ tax. It was a local appliance store and we picked it up, so there was no
delivery charge.

As I said you might need to check around to find these washers. It's one
of the few vestiges of good 'ol American build quality left in the major
appliance industry. Whirlpools are absolute junk, and they make all
Kenmore models too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
"k" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestions and insights.

The Speed Queen idea is kind of nostalgic, though the price is
probably prohibitive. My uncle used to have a string of laundromats
along with a commercial laundry and all he had were Speed Queens, in
the laundromats anyway. I didn't even know they made them anymore.

Thanks again.

We got a top of the line Speed Queen top loader last year and paid $599
+ tax. It was a local appliance store and we picked it up, so there was
no
delivery charge.

As I said you might need to check around to find these washers. It's one
of the few vestiges of good 'ol American build quality left in the major
appliance industry. Whirlpools are absolute junk, and they make all
Kenmore models too.

Where did you find a 'top of the line' SQ for $ 599. The web page I looked
at showed that price to be the low end modle and most were well over $ 1000
More like $ 1500 for the top line modles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
"k" wrote in message
[...]

He didn't say it was new...It was probably used one with the Coin Machine
removed....LOL....Whirlpool / Kenmore appliances are fine...I know plenty of
people with them...If I was gonna shell out the big bucks I'd get one of
those fancy front loaders....

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message m...

wrote in message
"k" wrote in message
[...]

Our local appliance dealer had SQ's AWS76 (top of the line
SQ top loader, but last year's model) at the price I mentioned.

I keep saying you have to search, not online, but CALL around
to local appliance stores. The next lowest price we found was
at AJ Madison (online), and they were MUCH higher.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

ransley wrote:

None are made like they used to be, a commercial unit will last
longest, we had one last maybe 30- 35 years.

A commercial Speed Queen (which I have both at home, and in a rental
unit) will last the longest, but these now cost more than $600 new. I
think they are now around $800--without the coin slide. It will probably
last 50 years in occasional use, plus it's very easy to repair (at least
the 1963 model that I bought used and that lasted until about 2000, was
easy to repair). Had it not spend the first 22 years of its operation in
a laundromat, it would likely still be in use today.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

benick wrote:

Perhaps you didn't see the thread topic ?? Here it is for ya...Best
washer under 600 bucks....Which is a Whirlpool....Perhaps if he was
opening a laundrymat or had rental units with a laundry he would go
SQ.....There is a reason you don't see them in homes...PRICE.........

Most people would have no idea where to go to buy a Speed Queen
commercial washer. They don't sell them at appliance stores, you have to
go to laundromat supply house like PWS.

Many people buy commercial appliances, at high prices, for home use for
very good reasons, including kitchen and laundry appliances.

There is no question that an $800 Speed Queen commercial machine (a real
commercial machine not the line of commercial-like machines with the
Speed Queen name) would last 2x the time of a $400 machine, with no
repairs. And look at all the fools spending $1000 on a residential front
loader that will be lucky to last even five years before requiring repairs.

Another issue with the Speed Queen commercial machines is that you get
no warranty on labor, only a three year parts warranty. These machines
are very easy to repair, and laundromat owners do their own repairs so
they don't care about a labor warranty.

I have a Speed Queen commercial machine at home, in a rental townhouse,
and my sister-in-laws have one in a triplex they own. The only work I've
done on these three machines in 10 years is to increase the cost of a
load at the machine in the tri-plex, and replace a broken spring on the
coin slide that prevented it from popping back out automatically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 12:52*pm, k wrote:
Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than
$600 are? *We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over
the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm
thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

Why are limiting yourself to a top loader?

You can get front loaders for just a little bit more (high 6's, low
7's) and you'll make up the difference in a very short amount of time
by using less water, less soap and less gas or electricity drying
them.

help with washer. Cat Home Repair 7 February 26th 09 03:51 PM
LG washer houseman Home Ownership 1 August 25th 06 07:47 AM
New washer The Dave© Home Repair 24 February 28th 05 05:10 AM
stacked washer dryer, dryer works, washer does not [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 14th 05 10:53 PM
Help with washer Loewi Lin Home Repair 0 January 16th 05 02:27 PM